Author Topic: Minor Issue at tonight's game  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Minor Issue at tonight's game
« on: September 17, 2021, 10:38:39 PM »
Had an AD call up to the pressbox (The video board operator for the HS received the call) to tell me to run the scoreboard in it's entirety (including down & distance) or the will "withhold my pay" (sic).
Besides there was only me as GCO and the PCO..they had a third spot for scoreboard operator, but no one was there.
Suffice to say, I was firm but polite in telling them, my primary duty is GCO & everything else is secondary.

As soon as I got home, I shot an email to my regional scheduler to let him know what had occurred.
I doubt anything major will happen.

Have to admit, I was a little rattled after this occurred, but I recovered to finish the game off. Was a little disappointed in my performance, I know I should have done better.

Hope I handled the situation correctly, which I think I did, but is there anything else I should have done
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:40:13 PM by Official_21 »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Minor Issue at tonight's game
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
An incident report would be in order over threatening your pay.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 06:52:58 PM »
An incident report would be in order over threatening your pay.
I sent an email to my regional scheduler, who then forwarded it to the chapter executive secretary so it can be addressed, so it is being taken care of at the chapter level.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:56:16 PM by Official_21 »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
Long ago, when electronic scoreboards that included timing devices became the fashion, our Chapter decided that such timing devices would only be allowable when they were operated by member Officials. Thankfully that policy has been accepted, although it has been seriously debated a number of times over the years, but remains policy.  During several of those debates, the issue of adding the responsibility of maintaining the other scoreboard functions (down, distance, TOs, etc.) to the assigned Officials has come up, and has been rejected, and has been designated as the responsibility of  the Home management, which has been working well, for decades.

The policy hold for all levels, including multiple "Youth Football Leagues" who had also previously appealed, which included a long ago trial of maintaining an "official game clock" on the field by the field Officials and allowing a scoreboard clock to be maintained (for the benefit of fans and Teams) by Home Management.  Not surprisingly, that turned out to be a disaster, causing far more confusion and problems, and has since been discontinued and remains prohibited.

We remain always thankful to the wisdom and resolve executed by those former members resolving this issue many years ago.

Officials assigned to clock operation are fully dressed, as the other Field Officials, are subject to the instructions and decisions of the Referee and enter and leave the field with their crews.   

Offline Official_21

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
Just an update:
Once my chapter secretary received the email I sent to my regional scheduler, he sent out an email to the AD of the school/school district reminding him that there are three positions, namely the GCO, PCO and scoreboard operator.
Reminded the AD that if he needed a scoreboard operator he can request one through the chapter.

All's well that ends well. Just hope the AD follows through and I won't have to go through this again next season if I work the school in question.

And as a side note, some school districts in the Houston area have in-house game clock operators/scoreboard operators and the chapter sends play clock operators.