Author Topic: Football Season  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Football Season
« on: March 23, 2020, 07:18:19 AM »
It is sad to say, but I think it is becoming increasingly doubtful there will be a football season this year.  I have never seen anything like this.  I have to say I am becoming quite sad.  My son is graduating high school this year and I cannot believe that commencement is likely cancelled.  All that work through the years and no commencement.  Even during WW2 there was commencement for high school students.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Football Season
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
Raise your hand if you believe in America and are moving ahead with a positive attitude and affirmative action.  (My hand is raised.)
Things happen in life that are inconvenient, and, for some, truly tragic.  But, complaint and depression never improved anything.
I'm looking forward to the rest of this morning.  To this afternoon.  To tomorrow.  To next week,  To football season this fall.  Yes, it will happen.  Maybe with some adjustments, but it will happen.  If we want it to, it will happen.  I want it to happen.  We'll keep America great.
What says the rest of America?

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
I think it's way too early to say something won't happen 6-8 months from now.  Let's just hope the scientists and doctors get this under control and people follow the suggestions of the government to socially distance themselves from each other so we can get this virus stopped. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »
We each, always have the same choice in responding to a crises, "We can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution".

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
I think it's way too early to say something won't happen 6-8 months from now.  Let's just hope the scientists and doctors get this under control and people follow the suggestions of the government to socially distance themselves from each other so we can get this virus stopped.

This.  It's just too soon to tell.  Although, tbh, if it gets to the point where football season in Texas in cancelled, we ALL have much bigger things to worry about. 

Just keep on, keeping on.

Do what you can do. 

Joy comes in the morning!

Offline Navcom

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 07:39:56 PM »
"Every storm runs out of rain", this is no different, GOD loves football. GOD loves officials and GOD is watching over us. We will prevail.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:03:39 AM »
My wish for the coming football season:

That schools are required to disinfect and deodorize the locker rooms where officials dress.  They can get quite "stinky".

Once in Burnet we came into a HOT and very smelly JV locker room to dress.  An middle age gentleman dressed like a farmer came in to move some stuff around.  The "R" jumped all over him, telling him to get the AC on and spray the room down so we could eat the food they left and have our pregame.  He said ok and left.   

You guessed it, HC/AD.   Not a good way to start a Friday game day.

This "R" also went into the dressing room pregame at a 6A school with his mic on while he and the U were saying not so nice things about one of the coaching staffs.   It took about 2 seconds for the game admin to get to the dressing room door and almost beat it down while yelling "turn off your microphone".   Also not a good way to start a Friday gameday.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
I not only switch off the mic, I disconnect the mic from the belt pack anytime we head back to the dressing room.  That way, it won't matter if the switch gets bumped and inadvertently switched on.

Try it.  You'll like it.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »
After reading Punter's concern I phoned a good friend who is the superintendant of a local school district. He informed me that, while 2 1/2 months away, plans were being worked on in an attempt to have some sort of a graduation and commencement. A major concern is the attendance of parents and grandparents , a very high risk group. He stressed that every state will probably handle this is best they can and should be open to the parents for suggestions. You may want to check with your local school district, Punter, to inquire how they are planning for this. Graduation day should be celebrated as an achievement 12 years in the making. You and your family can make him feel very special that day, even if it's not celebrated with his classmates and their families. Your son probably realizes that these are not normal times and would welcome greatly the love shown by you and family on his special day. Please let us know how it goes, Punter, we care.

On a sad side note, it was announced this morning the 2 nurses from Maine hospitals had tested positive for cronoavirus. I realize that they are on the frontlines but I assume they were practicing every safety measure they knew, but were still infected. Bates College (lousy in D-III football but excellent in lacrosse) announced that their star player, who was in great shape, is now hospitalized in intensive care with the virus. This is truly a battle, not just an inconvience. WE WILL WIN THE BATTLE!!

We are the most creative critters of the mammal kingdom and will find ways to deal with things in ways we had never thought of. I heard word of a local formal-wear company teaming up with a media company to promote a virtual prom. Sounds interesting, but gone would be the cheek-to-cheek dancing and the  >:D after-parties >:D.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:58:12 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »
PA announced that the school year can't go bast June 30, since July 1 is the start of the new fiscal year.  So everything has to be condensed if they want to make it up.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 02:16:48 PM »
Yes, we will win the war!