Author Topic: Michigan: not entirely sure how to get registered/started  (Read 9341 times)

StudyingFutureZebra

Michigan: not entirely sure how to get registered/started
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
Hey all,

I'm 18 and a freshman in college. Next year, I really want to start officiating at some level. I've always loved football and unfortunately, I didn't get to play it very long, but I did help out on the coaching staff when I was in high school for two seasons, and did Chain Gang last season.

I'm kind of lost as to how to actually get certified and registered here in Michigan.

A question I have is how are you assigned your official's position (R, L, U, BJ, etc.)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Michigan: not entirely sure how to get registered/started
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
That's going to vary locale by locale.

Here is the link to the MHSAA web site: www.mhsaa.com/officials. Scroll about halfway down the page and it will point you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
Another thing you can look at is officiating intramural flag football at your school. That's how I got started officiating football.

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
Seconding reffing flag football. Made some great friends that way and learned quite a bit in a low(er) stress environment.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

A question I have is how are you assigned your official's position (R, L, U, BJ, etc.)
When you join an association, you will learn how to work the different positions. In my group all new men start on the flanks and start working freshman games. Some get to work varsity by the end of their first season because we are always short officials. After a couple years working flanks, they can move to another position. Usually you don't move to R until you have a significant amount of experience.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
Welcome to Michigan.

I've been an official in Michigan for 40 years now; and I can say that this state really needs young blood.  The link that Rulesman gave you is the first step. 

After you register with the MHSAA, depending on where you're going to school, there are some pretty good Officials' Associations around.  I'm in the Detroit area and there are four primary assigners who are begging for officials to work Little League, Middle School, Freshman, and JV games.  So, the opportunity to work abounds; and as you're a college student, I know how much it helps to pick up a few bucks - as well as the experience.

Outstate, there are outstanding Associations in the Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Lansing area.  I'm pretty "tight" with the Football folks at the MHSAA; so I can get to the right people there as well. 

I guess there is a way to privately message me on this site.  Haven't used it myself; but maybe one of the Monitors can give us both a tutorial.  I'd be happy to talk to you and, hopefully put you in touch with the right folks.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:40:17 AM »
I guess there is a way to privately message me on this site.  Haven't used it myself; but maybe one of the Monitors can give us both a tutorial.
Click on the "My Messages" link on the toolbar at the top of the page.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
Check your college's Intramural department, SFZ.