Author Topic: NEW EXCESSIVE CONTACT RULE  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
NEW EXCESSIVE CONTACT RULE
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »
Given that 9-4-3g is an EXPERIMENTAL "RULE" (although the rules makers decided to codify it), I would be interested to know which of your states have or have not adopted it for 2015.  I only know that Oregon and Hawaii have.

Michigan has NOT.

Thanks. 

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
Re: NEW EXCESSIVE CONTACT RULE
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:01:12 PM »
I'd like to know how 9-4-3g is an experimental rule? The way I read it is it is a Rule Change....

I don't see not adopting rules as one of the options under Rule & Table 1-7:
  • Determine the number of game officials to be used in the game.( 1-1-4 NOTE)
  • Determine the time for game officials to assume authority if greater than 30 minutes (1-1-7)
  • Determine the size of ball to be used for games with players below 9th grade. (1-3-1 NOTE)
  • Mandate the use of a specific ball for post season or playoff competition. (1-3-2 NOTE)
  • Authorize the use of supplementary equipment to aid in game administration. (1-3-7)
  • Authorize the wearing of a commemorative/ memorial patch. (1-5-1b (2-3 NOTE)
  • Authorize the use of a drum for rhythmic cadence for deaf or partially deaf teams. (1-6-1 NOTE)
  • Authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities or special needs. (1-7)
  • Establish a procedure to resolve games tied following the fourth quarter. (3-1-1)
  • Establish a point differential to terminate games or to use a running clock when the point differential is reached. (3-1-2)
  • Establish rules regarding continuation of interrupted games. (3-1-4)
  • Authorize the use of 10-minute periods for games involving combinations of 9th, 8th and/ or 7th grade students. (3-1-5 NOTE 1)
  • Determine the length of halftimes, provided it is not less than 10 minutes and not more than 20 minutes. (3-1-5 NOTE 2)
  • Determine when the coin toss is to be held. (3-2-1)
  • Authorize the use of TV/ radio time-out (3-5-7k)
  • Designate the 11-player field dimensions as official for nine-, eight- or six-player competition. (Rules Differences)
The great state of CA is going to play by all the NFHS Rules...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
The "new excessive contact" rule is NOT experimental.  Oregon and Hawaii have a DIFFERENT rule that is experimental regarding blindside blocks having to be made with open hands.  That is not the NFHS national rule.

That being said, the "new excessive contact" rule isn't really a new rule at all.  At the GHSA clinics, they said,  "If it was a foul last year, it's a foul this year.  If it wasn't a foul last year, it isn't a foul this year."  Unfortunately, it's not a large percentage of officials that were at the clinic.  I'm afraid officials that weren't there will read too much into the rule "change".

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Oregon School Activities Association put out a video on the new rule. Here's the link. Second video down. The video is done by Brad Garrett who is the  NFHS Rules committee chair.

In NorCal we are using this rule. I can't find anywhere that says this is a state option.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
Oregon School Activities Association put out a video on the new rule. Here's the link. Second video down. The video is done by Brad Garrett who is the  NFHS Rules committee chair.

In NorCal we are using this rule. I can't find anywhere that says this is a state option.
Thankfully, not everyone shares Mr. Garrett's interpretations.  Sure, some of those are fouls, were last year, will be this year.  But not all of those will be interpreted as fouls here.

wvoref

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »
Thankfully, not everyone shares Mr. Garrett's interpretations.  Sure, some of those are fouls, were last year, will be this year.  But not all of those will be interpreted as fouls here.

Have to agree with you.  Looks like the best move in Oregon is to have tunnel vision and hope someone hits you so you can draw a foul, of course it might not be the healthiest move.

Offline Georgia FJ

• GFOA All The Way
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • If your wrong, be wrong strong
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
I took this rule to be a clarification of the existing rules which pertain to roughness. It also gives us officials a new avenue to flag actions which we deem detrimental to player health. My association here in Georgia has discussed this rule extensively and the consensus is that this rule should not add or subtract to the amount of fouls called for this type of penalty in the upcoming season when compared to past seasons. I do like the new breakdown of the spearing rule as well. 
The most fun you can have with your pants on

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »
In MN, they are telling us to take the "decleat" blindside hit and foul it this year.  They said they want that hit taken out of the game.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
The "new excessive contact" rule is NOT experimental.  Oregon and Hawaii have a DIFFERENT rule that is experimental regarding blindside blocks having to be made with open hands.  That is not the NFHS national rule.

That being said, the "new excessive contact" rule isn't really a new rule at all.  At the GHSA clinics, they said,  "If it was a foul last year, it's a foul this year.  If it wasn't a foul last year, it isn't a foul this year."  Unfortunately, it's not a large percentage of officials that were at the clinic.  I'm afraid officials that weren't there will read too much into the rule "change".

WOW, I guess this is what I get for trying to get ahead of the game....

My description, as "experimental", was based on the Aloha video and the beginning of the OSAA video where the term was used extensively.  Further, in Garretts's video (which I admit I did not watch completly once I heard "experiment"), he indicated the "experiment" would be conducted by "the OSAA and a few other states".  I asked our state interpreter whether 9-4-3g would be adopted by Michigan.  I was told "NO" emphatically - and that in our state mandatory rules meetings, further explanation would be provided.  That meeting is Saturday.

I went back to the OSAA video and watched it completely and I can see where the key is directed more at the blocking TECHNIQUE than anything else; so I hope that on Saturday that gets clarified here.  Nevertheless, "excessive", in itself, and whether with the shoulder or open hand, will make "consistency" more difficult IMHO.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
In MN, they are telling us to take the "decleat" blindside hit and foul it this year.  They said they want that hit taken out of the game.

I haven't seen an official state interpretation, but this is how I interpreted it as well.

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »
Writing my definition of de-cleat right now.

Knocking a player off his cleats.
Dislodging a player off his cleats.
Displacing a player off his cleats.
Hitting a player so his cleats are elevated at least one foot off the ground.
Hitting a player so his cleats are elevated at least two feet off the ground.
Hitting a player so his cleats are off the ground at all but as a result of the hit his head hits the ground.
Screening a player and his cleats come off.
Stepping on a players foot causing his cleats to come off.
If I hit him with open hands his cleats need to be in contact with the ground.

Not sure where this is going....

What happened to the types of blocks that started the conversation? All open field shoulder initiated blocks.

I remember the fall-out when I made the targeting video 5 or 6 years ago and now we are all experts. This is a forward thinking concept preventing high speed hits that cause injuries and concussions that can be mostly prevented by changing the blocking style. Give it a try, you may like it. Certainly easier than a foul being determined by the cleats.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »
As usual, Matt is right on target.  tiphat:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi