Author Topic: 2020 Rule Changes are out  (Read 26699 times)

Online riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
2020 Rule Changes are out
« on: February 06, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/additional-timing-changes-on-play-clock-approved-in-high-school-football-rules/

Nothing major. Change 25 sec to 40 sec play clock on defensive penalty or injury

Allows spiking the ball from shotgun

Makes disconcerting sounds from the defensive a 5 yard instead of 15 yard penalty

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: 2020 Rule Changes are out
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Actually, even though it’s administrative, one is fairly significant.

“ In addition, several rules will be affected by the committee’s ruling that the head coach, prior to the game, should notify the referee as to the team’s designated representative (coach or player) who will make decisions regarding penalty acceptance or declination. Several locations in the rules book required the team captains to make these decisions, so the new language throughout the book will provide teams more options.”

Seems like the coach can say we should go to him for penalties, rather than have to have the captain. 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »
Seems like the coach can say we should go to him for penalties, rather than have to have the captain.

Merely codifying what many of us do in practice.

We did the experiment for Immediate Spike From the Shotgun- happened 3 times in 2 games that I worked.  Many officials reported 0.  I used to be against it but came around to it.  Our asst commissioner was in favor of it and volunteered us to be the guinea pig.

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:51 PM »
I don’t understand what has changed here. I need example(s):

In the same rule dealing with the play clock (Rule 3-6-1), the committee approved one additional situation when 25 seconds will be on the play clock. Beginning next season, 25 seconds will be on the play clock and start on the ready-for-play signal when a new series is awarded following a legal free kick or scrimmage kick. 

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
Just saying after a legal kick was not enough when applying the 40/25 second clock.  What if a team punts on 3rd down, the kick is blocked and recovered behind the line by Team K making it 4th down.  We have a legal kick here, but shouldn't be on the 25 second clock like the rule said last year since we had a legal kick. The 40 second clock is the time interval to be used here since we have no change of possession or team personnel. Plus, by saying "after a new series of downs is awarded to either team following a legal kick" follows the game clock being started on the snap. 

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 12:56:08 AM »

Only for the 1% who still went to a captain...for the other 99% of us, no real change :)

Offline Badger1

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:19:25 AM »
I am not understand the response by "theride" posted here. (Just saying after a legal kick was not enough when applying the 40/25 second clock.  What if a team punts on 3rd down, the kick is blocked and recovered behind the line by Team K making it 4th down.  We have a legal kick here, but shouldn't be on the 25 second clock like the rule said last year since we had a legal kick. The 40 second clock is the time interval to be used here since we have no change of possession or team personnel. Plus, by saying "after a new series of downs is awarded to either team following a legal kick" follows the game clock being started on the snap.)

Last season the example you described on 3rd down would have resulted in 40 seconds being placed on the play clock, not 25 seconds.   Last season after a new series of downs was awarded to either team following a legal kick, we were starting the new series using the 25 seconds count on the snap so what has changed?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Just saying after a legal kick was not enough when applying the 40/25 second clock.  What if a team punts on 3rd down, the kick is blocked and recovered behind the line by Team K making it 4th down.  We have a legal kick here, but shouldn't be on the 25 second clock like the rule said last year since we had a legal kick. The 40 second clock is the time interval to be used here since we have no change of possession or team personnel. Plus, by saying "after a new series of downs is awarded to either team following a legal kick" follows the game clock being started on the snap.

If I'm reading the press release correctly, then your concern is moot:

Beginning next season, 25 seconds will be on the play clock and start on the ready-for-play signal when a new series is awarded following a legal free kick or scrimmage kick.

If the 3rd down punt is blocked and recovered by K behind the LOS and the next play is 4th down, then a new series is not awarded and the play clock should be set to 40.

The only new scenario where this would kick in is if K punts, R muffs the punt and K recovers. A new series for K is awarded after the kick, so the play clock will be set to 25.

Any other scenario where R gains possession of the ball after a free or scrimmage kick was previously covered by 3-5-7c.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
“If the game is interrupted due to weather during the last three minutes of the second period, and the delay is at least 30 minutes, the opposing coaches can mutually agree to shorten halftime intermission, provided there is at least a one-minute intermission (not including the three-minute warm-up period).”

I'm all for this in general, but I think there needs to be some eventual tweaking of the warm up period.

Scenario: 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, a storm rolls in, lightning flashes, game halted. The weather delay lasts 45 minutes (just to pick something arbitrary).

After the storm clears, teams return to the field to finish the second quarter. This is the point in time where both teams need to warm up because they've been sitting in their locker rooms for the last most-of-an-hour.

The come back to the field, play two minutes of football, have a 1 minute intermission by mutual agreement -- AND STILL NEED THE 3 MINUTE WARM UP??? Ideally they just did that 3 minute warm up 3 minutes ago when the came back to the field after the delay...

If the weather related halftime shortening can be invoked like this, the mandatory warm up period should be moved to the time they return to the field to complete the second quarter, not still mandatory as part of "half time".

Offline Badger1

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
ncwingman:The only new scenario where this would kick in is if K punts, R muffs the punt and K recovers. A new series for K is awarded after the kick, so the play clock will be set to 25.

Wasn't that the way we treated it last year?

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
ncwingman:The only new scenario where this would kick in is if K punts, R muffs the punt and K recovers. A new series for K is awarded after the kick, so the play clock will be set to 25.

Digging through all of my stuff from last year, I think I found the issue that was corrected. NFHS put out a Handy Guide For Clock Operators with interpretations for when to use 25/40. One of these scenarios, E-6(f), stated to use the 25 second play clock after any down that includes a legal kick.

The problem was that this scenario was not specifically listed in 3.6.1 or 3.5.7. *Usually*, any down that includes a legal kick also includes a change of team possession, which would invoke 3.5.7c (and by extension 3.6.1e for the 25 second play clock). However, a down that includes a legal kick that does *not* involve a change of team possession would fall under the 40 second play clock rule -- and any play that involves a double change, A-B-A, was instructed to use the 40 second play clock (E-3(e)). K recovering a muffed punt OR R gaining possession and fumbling did not have specific rule coverage to differentiate from the A-B-A ruling.

The rule change patches this oversight to match the interpretation as presented last year, but includes the "awarding of a new series" stipulation to prevent the 3rd down blocked kick scenario from applying.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Only for the 1% who still went to a captain...for the other 99% of us, no real change :)

Wow, your pants must have really big pockets to hold all those mice.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 01:33:48 AM »
Wow, your pants must have really big pockets to hold all those mice.

found the 1%!

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »
Digging through all of my stuff from last year, I think I found the issue that was corrected. NFHS put out a Handy Guide For Clock Operators with interpretations for when to use 25/40. One of these scenarios, E-6(f), stated to use the 25 second play clock after any down that includes a legal kick.

The problem was that this scenario was not specifically listed in 3.6.1 or 3.5.7. *Usually*, any down that includes a legal kick also includes a change of team possession, which would invoke 3.5.7c (and by extension 3.6.1e for the 25 second play clock). However, a down that includes a legal kick that does *not* involve a change of team possession would fall under the 40 second play clock rule -- and any play that involves a double change, A-B-A, was instructed to use the 40 second play clock (E-3(e)). K recovering a muffed punt OR R gaining possession and fumbling did not have specific rule coverage to differentiate from the A-B-A ruling.

The rule change patches this oversight to match the interpretation as presented last year, but includes the "awarding of a new series" stipulation to prevent the 3rd down blocked kick scenario from applying.

This is absolutely correct. Even if they went with the 40-second play clock it was very possible the crew would be sorting out something delaying the ball actually being ready for play so even absent this rule change or last year's interpretation this was probably a 25-second clock situation anyway.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »

Makes disconcerting sounds from the defensive a 5 yard instead of 15 yard penalty
Not just sounds. 

I'm curious what the signal will be.

Offline TennRegOneRef

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 07:48:08 PM »
Not just sounds. 

It may be the UC signal. Similar to the "Failure to properly wear required equipment during a down" foul in 2017. That was a 5-yd penalty with the failure to wear signal AND the UC signal. 5-yd UC fouls are not considered part of the disqualifying process (15-yd UC fouls only).

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
2020 Rules Changes - NFHS Website Post
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
2020 Rules change announcement as posted on the NFHS website attached.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 07:56:29 AM »

“ In addition, several rules will be affected by the committee’s ruling that the head coach, prior to the game, should notify the referee as to the team’s designated representative (coach or player) who will make decisions regarding penalty acceptance or declination. Several locations in the rules book required the team captains to make these decisions, so the new language throughout the book will provide teams more options.”

This was a move in the direction of the way many of us were officiating. By asking the coach who will make the choice, we've cleared ourselves from a coach making one call while his captain makes another. It is felt the coach will probably choose himself most of the time.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 08:04:08 AM »
Merely codifying what many of us do in practice.

We did the experiment for Immediate Spike From the Shotgun- happened 3 times in 2 games that I worked.  Many officials reported 0.  I used to be against it but came around to it.  Our asst commissioner was in favor of it and volunteered us to be the guinea pig.
Mark Dreilbelbis , N.C.'s rep. , did a great job of explaining the experimental results and it passed overwhelmingly .

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
I am not understand the response by "theride" posted here. (Just saying after a legal kick was not enough when applying the 40/25 second clock.  What if a team punts on 3rd down, the kick is blocked and recovered behind the line by Team K making it 4th down.  We have a legal kick here, but shouldn't be on the 25 second clock like the rule said last year since we had a legal kick. The 40 second clock is the time interval to be used here since we have no change of possession or team personnel. Plus, by saying "after a new series of downs is awarded to either team following a legal kick" follows the game clock being started on the snap.)

Last season the example you described on 3rd down would have resulted in 40 seconds being placed on the play clock, not 25 seconds.   Last season after a new series of downs was awarded to either team following a legal kick, we were starting the new series using the 25 seconds count on the snap so what has changed?
It was intended to be added to 3-6-1a(1) last year ,but was omitted. The rationale is ,like COP, the 25" clock applies when additional time may be needed if the is a unit change. If K becomes A by recovering a R muff, this should be an administrative stoppage.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:26 AM »
Mark Dreilbelbis , N.C.'s rep. , did a great job of explaining the experimental results and it passed overwhelmingly .

I'm sure I'll get to see it in August during the state meeting, but if you have and/or can share those results, I'd be curious. As HLinNC noted, I think I saw it happen once all year.

It was not confusing as a rule change, but it wasn't really utilized either -- but maybe the other side of the state saw it used more?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
I'm all for this in general, but I think there needs to be some eventual tweaking of the warm up period.

Scenario: 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, a storm rolls in, lightning flashes, game halted. The weather delay lasts 45 minutes (just to pick something arbitrary).

After the storm clears, teams return to the field to finish the second quarter. This is the point in time where both teams need to warm up because they've been sitting in their locker rooms for the last most-of-an-hour.

The come back to the field, play two minutes of football, have a 1 minute intermission by mutual agreement -- AND STILL NEED THE 3 MINUTE WARM UP??? Ideally they just did that 3 minute warm up 3 minutes ago when the came back to the field after the delay...

The 3-minute warm-up will still be required after the 1-minute halftime. This requires mutual consent between both coaches as such things as homecoming, senior night or band taking the field can still be preserved.

I was the ogre that caused this rule change. A few years back ,on a hot, humid afternoon, Thor - the Greek god of lightning - came to visit. The athletic director came to visit us in our hideaway . He stated that was the halftime, there was around 1:30 in the half and the home team was inside B's 10, He wanted to go directly to the 3rd period  after we had finished the 2nd. I STATED that the halftime could be shortened to 10 minutes BUT, by rule, we still needed to have one. In discussing this at the NFHS, it was decided to include this scenario, as a POE , 2 years ago in the Officials' Manual and last year's Rules Book. In this sue-happy world of ours, this rule change takes us off the hook.   

If the weather related halftime shortening can be invoked like this, the mandatory warm up period should be moved to the time they return to the field to complete the second quarter, not still mandatory as part of "half time".

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »
Not just sounds. 

#33, same signal as the now defunct Failure to Wear Proper Equipment.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 08:46:46 AM »

It was intended that we should, just not in print.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 08:57:51 AM »
It may be the UC signal. Similar to the "Failure to properly wear required equipment during a down" foul in 2017. That was a 5-yd penalty with the failure to wear signal AND the UC signal. 5-yd UC fouls are not considered part of the disqualifying process (15-yd UC fouls only).
Welcome to the forum, may you find it both enjoyable and informative. Your reference to signal  #27 & #23 only indicates that it is a noncontact foul ,so the basic spot becomes the succeeding spot. It's usage is rare in this situation as now it's only usage is for INTENTIONAL pass interference.