Author Topic: Wireless Headset  (Read 8444 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Wireless Headset
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
It seems like a majority of guys are now using radios.  I'm curious if anyone has used this wireless setup.  I'm just worried that the ear piece might not be loud enough.  Unfortunately this didn't arrive before the end of the season.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jps8mopj9u1yzv/radio.jpg?dl=0

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Wireless Headset
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
That’s just for the baefong correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

Re: Wireless Headset
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I would think they sell them for just about any radio type.  Baofeng uses a Kenwood connector, so this would work with any Kenwood professional radio.  I works very well.  I'm just worried about the audio level.

Offline TxSkyBolt

Wireless Headset
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
The only one we found to fit midlands and Motorola’s was $130! 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
I can get them for about $40. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

Wireless Headset
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
For Baefong yes, midland no

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »
If they make it for one type (Kenwood, not Baofeng) they make it for another.  Let me hunt around.  I’m not sure what type of connector is on a Midland. 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Wireless Headset - microphone types
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Considering the Midland GXT1000, but I don't know enough about the mic/earphone options, and the on-line info is just targeted at sales, not technical details.

The "VP" series (Value Pack) - has an "on the ear" earphone (AVP1), with a  mic on a 'boom' that extends from the earpiece along the side of the face.  I believe this has a small push-to-talk switch on the cord between the radio and the earpiece, which, I assume can be clipped to the belt (?).  Do I see this correctly?  This appears to be the "economy" model earphone.  Doesn't mean bad, necessarily, just not as good/convenient/comfortable as others (?).

The Midland web site indicates alternative headsets.  I see a 'surveillance' headset (AVPH3) which has a coiled translucent plastic tubing earpiece, and the earphone just fits in the ear canal.  So, where is the microphone?  Looks like it has a similar push-to-talk switch (clip to belt?).  Twice as expensive as AVP1, but may 'look' cleaner.

Anybody got experience with this particular stuff?  HELP!

Robert

PS Found what the NFL guys use.  At $1200 per unit, that is not on the table - but I really, really like the big round belt-clip push-to-talk button. 

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »
If you prefer a belt button I think this is compatible with Midland radios. Does require a separate headset with a "standard" single 3.5mm plug. https://www.ebay.com/p/BTECH-2-Pin-to-3-5mm-Adapter-With-Push-to-talk-Button/1873706750?iid=112843582408

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
Kalle,

Thanks!  I'll check this out.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »
We have used Midlands the past 2 seasons and they were great. The boom mikes that come with them don't stay in the ear well and are very awkward. We purchased the surveillance type earpieces and they are much better. They usually have to be replaced once a year, but still worth it. There is a small clip that goes on your lapel that contains the microphone.

Good luck!

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
We have used Midlands the past 2 seasons and they were great. The boom mikes that come with them don't stay in the ear well and are very awkward. We purchased the surveillance type earpieces and they are much better. They usually have to be replaced once a year, but still worth it. There is a small clip that goes on your lapel that contains the microphone.

Good luck!

Magician, is the lapel mic separate from the PTT switch?

Robert

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
Here is one I am fond of. Has the separate PPT button I put on my belt.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KRYM0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 10:41:02 PM »
Copedaddy,
Thanks!  I’ll check it out.

Robert

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
Copedaddy,

Please explain the "Throat mic."

Thanks

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
Copedaddy,

Please explain the "Throat mic."

Thanks

Sorry, I'm not Copedaddy, but if you are as old as I am, you may remember watching "12 O'clock High" and seeing the B-17 bomber pilots & crew press a "choker" they wore around their necks, tight up against their larynx's.  That was a throat mic.  It would pick up sound vibrations through the throat, and convert to electrical signals that got transmitted to the headphones of the other crew.  Same thing here, but far more advanced.  Shouldn't need to press the microphone against the larynx.  They are sensitive enough to pick up sounds without having to do that.
The disadvantages are minor discomfort comfort, and the sound quality is not quite as good.  A little bit of a 'cosmetic' issue, too.  Some folks may not want to have something around their throat.

Robert

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
Magician, is the lapel mic separate from the PTT switch?

Robert
You can either use the PTT button on the radio or the PTT button on the mic. I tend to use the one on the radio more often because it's more subtle and mostly habit.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
You can either use the PTT button on the radio or the PTT button on the mic. I tend to use the one on the radio more often because it's more subtle and mostly habit.

Magician,
Thanks.  That answered my question.  I’d love a big belt button like the Vokkero, but that’s just a bit out of my budget range!
Appreciate the help.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
Here is one I am fond of. Has the separate PPT button I put on my belt.
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KRYM0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s the one Ive used the most.  The PTT on the belt works really well.  No one ever knows when youre on the radio that way.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
Appreciate everyone’s help.  We picked the Midland GXT1000, plus ‘covert’ headsets.
Just another tool to help us be better.

Robert

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
The boom mikes that come with them don't stay in the ear well and are very awkward.

THAT would be what I'd worry about. I don't want to lose that thing running down the field, and then having to go back and find it or get it damaged by someone stepping on it. Cleats and plastic things don't go together too well!

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »
THAT would be what I'd worry about. I don't want to lose that thing running down the field, and then having to go back and find it or get it damaged by someone stepping on it. Cleats and plastic things don't go together too well!

They might fall out of your ear, but they are not Bluetooth - they are hard wired, and the wire is clipped to the collar.  So, you would not likely lose the earpiece, but that flimsiness is definitely undesirable.  We got the 'covert' earpieces that plug into the ear canal, and fit quite snuggly.  Shouldn't have that issue.

Robert

Offline TxSkyBolt

Wireless Headset
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
They might fall out of your ear, but they are not Bluetooth - they are hard wired, and the wire is clipped to the collar.  So, you would not likely lose the earpiece, but that flimsiness is definitely undesirable.  We got the 'covert' earpieces that plug into the ear canal, and fit quite snuggly.  Shouldn't have that issue.

Robert
I read his response as responding to the OP and title of the post

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 07:49:39 PM »
Yes, I see that, now.
Robert