Author Topic: A solution to the "no huddle"...do we need one???  (Read 15325 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: A solution to the "no huddle"...do we need one???
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »
Actually, the current situation, where the Referee determines that the ball is ready to begin play when the game officials and both teams are "ready to play" has proven to be effective over a long period of time, and doesn't seem to need adjustment.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »
This was on the docket a couple of years ago but failed to make it out of subcommittee with any support. It was felt that our current rule was sufficient and didn't need to become complicated. We instruct teams running the "no-huddle" not to snap until the umpire moves off the ball and the referee tweets his tweeter. No problems yet.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:07:58 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Re: A solution to the "no huddle"...do we need one???
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
Actually, the current situation, where the Referee determines that the ball is ready to begin play when the game officials and both teams are "ready to play" has proven to be effective over a long period of time, and doesn't seem to need adjustment.

NCAA is really not that much different since the U can control it by staying at the ball until everyone is ready. I expect we'll see more of that this year. The nice thing with the 40 second clock is the pace to when the play clock EXPIRES is more consistent. If one R is quicker than another the offense can seem really rushed to get the play called and to the line. This eliminates that concern.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 10:15:12 AM »
We instruct teams running the "no-huddle" not to snap until the umpire moves off the ball and the referee tweets his tweeter.
Better make sure they do it in that order!  If we are running no huddle, where the U is of no significance to us.  If the R blows the RFP, go.

And yes, I have seen R's about get their U killed by not allowing him to back up first.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
Better make sure they do it in that order!  If we are running no huddle, where the U is of no significance to us.  If the R blows the RFP, go.

And yes, I have seen R's about get their U killed by not allowing him to back up first.
Our umpires are schooled to hold up their hand as a stop signal and yell to the snapper ; "WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!!!" as he backs off the LOS. This saves A a DOG for an early snap and U a pocket full of crushed  sNiCkErS from being trampled by the charging herd :!#. Seems to work.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Our umpires are schooled to hold up their hand as a stop signal and yell to the snapper ; "WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE!!!" as he backs off the LOS. This saves A a DOG for an early snap and U a pocket full of crushed  sNiCkErS from being trampled by the charging herd :!#. Seems to work.
I agree with all of that.  But my point was, it's not the U's stop signal that matters, it's the R's whistle.  If the R blows the whistle, the stop signal means nothing, the U is about to get crushed due to his crewmate being a little over anxious.

It's up to the R to make sure his U is out of the way BEFORE he blows the RFP.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
AB - Many of our  sNiCkErS umpires  sNiCkErS are large mammals. Many of our referees are of the frail, scholarly mode. ALL of our referees know better then to become an egar tweeter when our umpire is in the cross-hairs of the big ole' Bubba linemen. Referees are usually the "wagonmaster" for the crew if travelling is involved. The wagonmaster provides post-game refreshments eAt&. A grumpy, wounded  sNiCkErS umpire  sNiCkErS may eat/drink  eAt& them all as payback. We z^ zebras should control the tempo of the game - not the hurry-up offense. :)