Author Topic: Kickoffs and Ready for Play  (Read 12500 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Re: Kickoffs and Ready for Play
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
I read a proposal (NFL maybe?) allowing K to either give the ball to R at the R-30, or take the ball at the K-35, 4th and 10.  (I may have the yard lines wrong)

This would allow K to possibly retain possession without actually kicking.

The idea I've heard that's best is this:

Team A scores. Instead of Team A kicking off, Team A gets the ball on the A-30. 4th and 15. They would normally punt, which replaces the kickoff. Punting is safer than a kickoff.

If Team A wants to 'onside kick' all they have to do is run a regular play and gain 15 yards.

The one issue I have with this is that for mismatched teams, Team A may elect to try for 15 yards every time, therefore Team B may never get the ball. The '15 yards' may have to be adjusted longer to make the odds of getting 15 yards equivalent to the odds of recovering an onside kick.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:03 AM »
They're all dumb ideas!

At levels lower than the NFL, there is no evidence that kickoffs are any more dangerous than any other play.  More receivers are injured on high passes across the middle than on any other play.  Should we make a rule that says passes can only go to the sideline, or can be caught no higher than a receiver's shoulders?

Greg Schiano had a tragic accident happen to one of his kids, who led with his head on a block.  I could callously argue (but I wouldn't) that better coaching would have prevented the accident, not changing an inherent rule of the game.

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »
Punting is safer than a kickoff.
If in fact true, not enough to change a vital aspect of the game.
Leave the KO and officiate new protective rules appropriately.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
I've been on the rules committee since 1992 and have seen some wild proposals show up on the docket but have yet to see one removing free kicks. The proposals allowing kicks to be ran out of the end zone and/or moving K's free kick line back have stopped which is probably good, too. The wildest of wild proposals was probably one that would change Rule 8 (scoring plays & TB) drastically. It went something like this:

Touchdown points....... 6 if scoring play netted 10 yards or less;
                                  8  "    "        "       "      11-25 yards;
                                  9  "    "        "       "      26-40 yards;
                                 10  "    "        "       "      41 yards or more;
                                 10  " TD scored by defense or kick return.

Field Goal points.........  3 if kick is less that 30;
                                  4  "   "   is between 30-40;
                                  5  "   "   is greater than 40;
                                  add additional point if scored by drop kick.

Safety and PATs to remain unchanged!

The outcome was it didn't come out of its subcommittee, received 0 support but plenty of   :D ;D :) :laugh: :!# nAnA LOL

We felt it must have been proposed by a frustrated accountant tR:oLl 

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
What are the stats on injuries related to kickoffs? I can't remember the last time we stopped a game for an injury on a kickoff.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
I am discouraged by the frequent commentary on the danger of kickoffs in the game of football.  Everything in life comes with danger.  Collisions happen in many sports and taking away kickoffs would take away something from the character of the game.  I suppose it is on the way, but removing kickoffs is not something I am looking forward to.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:39:30 AM by zoom »

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »
What are the stats on injuries related to kickoffs? I can't remember the last time we stopped a game for an injury on a kickoff.

I agree on this thought.  I can't remember the last time a FK resulted in an injury, but I know it happens all the time on punts.  Punts have a much higher rate of peel-back, blind-side blocks, and full speed collisions.  Yet nobody is talking about eliminating the punt.  Where is this movement to remove the kickoff getting its support and stats?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »
I've been on the rules committee since 1992 and have seen some wild proposals show up on the docket but have yet to see one removing free kicks.

Sometimes, when there is no indication of anything being broken, people still insist on tinkering.  Some of these suggestions might be better intended for football played at the X-box level.