Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Texas Topics / Re: NCAA Football Rule Change Proposals
« Last post by ElvisLives on March 04, 2024, 10:10:42 AM »
If they don't adopt the uniform and equipment violations proposal, then we effectively concede the kneepad issue forever. Coaches will see that it wasn't adopted and (correctly) assume that UIL doesn't care about it.

The coaches are the UIL, and, unlike the NCAA, they have the ability to select officials that will ignore the kneepad rule, no matter how restrictive or punitive the rule is written. So, there ya go....

Even in the NCAA, as officials, we don't like to have to constantly harp on teams, week after week, and, in reality, get no results. No one wants to be the guy that makes all-world quarterback for BigTime U sit out until he can change pants to cover his knees. Or worse, not allow him to play at all, because, as visitors, they didn't bring any spare pants, and have no way to get him pants with longer legs, other than to scavenge some from another player, who, then, won't get to play. It is a mess that we are powerless to fix.
« Last post by FWREF on March 04, 2024, 09:58:55 AM »
Link to this year proposed changes? 
« Last post by dammitbobby on March 04, 2024, 08:58:02 AM »
If they don't adopt the uniform and equipment violations proposal, then we effectively concede the kneepad issue forever. Coaches will see that it wasn't adopted and (correctly) assume that UIL doesn't care about it.
Texas Topics / NCAA Football Rule Change Proposals
« Last post by ElvisLives on March 04, 2024, 08:24:45 AM »
I'll guess that the UIL will only adopt two of the NCAA's proposed rule changes. The two-minute time out and the horse-collar tackle in the tackle box will get approved, I believe. But, they won't allow the technology rules. They will continue to NOT support letting the clock run on first downs inbounds, and they will not support a change to the uniform and equipment violations enforcement - they'll leave it just as it is.

National Federation Discussion / Re: Any Movement Toward...
« Last post by bama_stripes on March 03, 2024, 08:40:11 AM »
I'd say no due to cost, but you guys got regular season replay in Alabama (I think?), so that doesn't seem to matter down there.  lol.

Despite all the hoopla when it was first approved, I think there are only a couple of schools that use IR during the regular season.  Everyone else quickly figured out that one press box camera and one EZ camera don’t give a very good look at the types of plays that are normally ripe for replay.
« Last post by AlUpstateNY on March 03, 2024, 08:18:42 AM »
I'd say no due to cost, but you guys got regular season replay in Alabama (I think?), so that doesn't seem to matter down there.  lol.

Football has worked pretty well, with both teams limited to the same "advantages".  Allowing teams "special advantages" that may not be equally available to opponents, has yet to prove to be a worthwhile practice.  "When it ain't broke", creative fixing (for fixing sake) doesn't help.
« Last post by bossman72 on March 02, 2024, 07:44:10 PM »
« Last post by ncwingman on March 02, 2024, 03:10:34 PM »
I have no insider information, but I personally would vote against it for a couple reasons.

Most notably, there's a bit more of a divide between the Haves and Have Nots as far as resources go in high school. I've worked games where teams have multiple iPads, fancy encrypted headsets and TVs on the sideline for showing game film live... and a lot more teams where they're lucky to have a bus to get to the game. Allowing it is one thing, but I don't want to encourage the arms race between such schools.

The other reason I'd vote against it is that this becomes something we have to monitor. Current sideline technology is allowed *on the sideline*. If an iPad wanders on to the field, that's pretty obvious. The logistics of allowing this on the field, and enforcing it, will be.... let's just say inconsistent. Okay, only one helmet with a sticker on the field is easy enough... but we have to verify that the helmet with the sticker is the one with the radio, and there are no radios in helmets without stickers. What happens when that helmet gets damaged, can they have a backup radio helmet? Can multiple offense/defense players have radios as long as they don't play at the same time? What if the QB also plays CB, but coach wants the LB to have the defensive earpiece?

With NFL and NCAA level resources, this is doable. With 5 guys who arrive at the game an hour before kickoff coming straight from work... like I said, it'll be inconsistent.
Texas Topics / Re: TASO Off-Season Webinar
« Last post by dammitbobby on March 02, 2024, 02:31:48 PM »
Can't wait to watch this one, when it gets released. (Was traveling for work and couldn't get on to view it live.)

Re the topic at hand, is that really a thing, as in fairly common?  I have never heard a coach threaten to 'take it to the UIL' or anything remotely likely that and if I did we're going to have a conversation right then and there with the R as to what the complaint is and why he's wrong (to give a witness for the interaction and complaint more than anything.)

I have had a 'famous' six man coach tell me that if I made a particular call against his team again he would make sure I didn't get a playoff game that year. But not anything like taking it to UIL.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Flags for uniform violations part of new rules proposals
« Last post by Snapper on March 02, 2024, 12:40:10 PM »
I'll worry about uniforms and knee pads after we see what the PROP committee passes and after my bosses tell me what they want.

I'm probably a bit old school and prefer teams to dress like a team.  But that's up to what the coach and administration want.

I'm done worrying about uniforms, unless my bosses tell me differently; or the equipment is obviously dangerous or gains an advantage.

I don't foresee today's corporate NCAA making knee pads optional, but I would agree that's probably the best solution now.

As far as what may or may not trickle down to High School or Youth levels, we're constantly reminded on the Fed board here about what a unique game the high school game is and why they need unique rules.  Which is fine.  When it comes to safety rules, they clearly should be different.  But the Fed shouldn't blame the NFL or NCAA for anything that trickles down.  Just enforce your Fed rules on equipment and things will be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10