Author Topic: Catch or no Catch ?  (Read 23788 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Catch or no Catch ?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
Holding NCAA and/or NFL "Philosophies" aside for the moment, there is some clarification built into existing NFHS Rules regarding "Catch" and (Player) "Possession" worth considering. "Catch" (NF: 2-4-1) speaks to "the act of establishing player possession"..."and first contacting the ground inbounds while maintaing possession of the ball".

NF: 2-34-1 advises, "a ball is in player possession is a live ball held or controlled by a player.....after he has caught or recovered it".

As suggested above, a judgment is required to determine whether a player actually does "hold" or "control" a ball (passed to him) and if that holding or controling is established when the player is airborne, he is required to maintain it when, "first contacting the ground inbounds".

There are 3 basic levels of football rules, for good and practical reasons, (NFHS, which includes most Youth level, NCAA, collegiate and MA and TX HS and NFL, professional) and sometimes "philosophies" created at one level can be helpful in establishing judgment criteria, at other levels, but not to the extent they contradict, or expand beyond the intent, rules at other levels

If the judgment of the covering official is that a catch was completed, and subsequent loss of possession is either loss of a dead ball, or a fumble.  If the judgment is that a catch was NOT completed, the pass is incomplete or subsequently caught or someone else catching, or intercepting, it.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
In the air.
One foot down, one step, one stride completed.
Second foot down, two feet, two strides.

One stride or two strides, it doesn't matter. Only the first foot touching the ground is required to complete the catch. So no, it doesn't change my thought process or the rule. ;)

If you are using that philosophy, if the receiver has possession, 1 foot touches the ground, and he's hit causing the ball to come out, you have to rule a fumble.  This is why I think the NCAA philosophy works well.  It makes it so much easier to be consistent.

Offline Magician

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
You have to make a determination whether he possessed the ball or not. But that's not the original play. The original play had him catching the ball, taking two strides, falling to the ground and then the ball coming out, which by the way can never be a fumble.
Coming down and having both feet touch is very different than taking two strides.  The philosophy I'm seeing some state is possession, foot on the ground = catch.  If he catches the ball in stride and then takes two steps, he's likely not going to the ground as part of the catch.

The original play is not a fumble scenario. When the receiver hits the ground with the ball, you either have an incomplete pass OR the receiver is down, depending on whether he possessed the ball or not after his foot initially touches the ground.  Either way, it's not going to be a fumble.
I agree.  It has to be incomplete or down.  The other scenario I threw out there was for a catch/hit which is similar in philosophy.

How is the original play going to result in a turnover?
It's not.  I'm saying the original play is incomplete.  And to be consistent, the bang-bang control/hit that causes the ball to come loose is also incomplete.

I haven't heard anyone suggest this was an incomplete pass until reading this thread.
I didn't either until I started learning more rules philosophies.  It has been part of my evolution as an official.  The more I learn the more I realize how to officiate the game rather than strictly follow the rule book.  Now when I watch NFL and NCAA games or very well officiated HS games, I see those philosophies applied very consistently.

Please look at my post you quoted and tell me what is incorrect in those 5 points I posted. Always ready to learn.
I wouldn't say incorrect.  I would say against the philosophy I've been taught.  If you are told by your supervisor/assigner to be very literal with the rules then you are correct.  But then every grasp outside the frame of the body had better be a hold as well.  It is important to KNOW the rules, UNDERSTAND the philosophies and APPLY them with sound judgement.  That is true from the NFL to the lowest level of youth football.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
Mag and Ump,

+1000

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
This is what happens when an association begins to be influenced a bit it too much by their college level officials.  Without going into an Al-like epistle, always remember that we need to take into account the level of play, which NFHS rules tend to do.

The scenario described, when broken down step by step as was done, reads like a catch to me.  If one's own superiors want you to rule differently, it is up to them to explain it to their officials AND their coaches they serve.

I think that HLinNC has summed it up pretty well. 

If you are tempted to rule the OP an incompletion, how are you going to explain your ruling when you run into a coach who knows the NFHS rule and how it differs from NCAA/NFL?

Offline Magician

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
I think that HLinNC has summed it up pretty well. 

If you are tempted to rule the OP an incompletion, how are you going to explain your ruling when you run into a coach who knows the NFHS rule and how it differs from NCAA/NFL?
The coaches can understand this philosophy as well.  And they appreciate consistency.  This helps accomplish that.  The rules aren't that different.  "Survive the ground" was a philosophy until it was codified in NCAA last year.  It's a solid philosophy in HS if you chose to apply it.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
If you are using that philosophy, if the receiver has possession, 1 foot touches the ground, and he's hit causing the ball to come out, you have to rule a fumble.  This is why I think the NCAA philosophy works well.  It makes it so much easier to be consistent.

Again, you keep bring up an entirely different play. I have no idea why. It has nothing to do with the original play.   :(

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
  The philosophy I'm seeing some state is possession, foot on the ground = catch.

It's not a philosophy.

It's the NFHS rule.

Here, possession, two steps, hitting the ground, the ball coming out is a catch, a receiver down and the end of the play. I've never seen an NFHS interpretation or case play that states any different.

Thanks for the discussion.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
...Only the first foot touching the ground is required to complete the catch.
Correct...so long as he is in CONTROL of the football. Both elements are required and you're being paid to make that decision.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Magician

Re: Re: Catch or no Catch ?
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
Correct...so long as he is in CONTROL of the football. Both elements are required and you're being paid to make that decision.

This is why I keep bringing up the bang bang hit at the catch. If you are using the rule literally you have a catch/fumble. If not you aren't being consistent. The plays are different but they are related. If you apply them both the same way you are being consistent but literally applying the rule you'll have a lot of cheap fumbles.

I know several high school officials around the country who subscribe to this philosophy.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Perhaps the best way to deal with the differces is to apply NCAA Rules and philosophies when working games governed by NCAA Rules, and when working rules governed by NFHS Rules and philosophies, abide by NFHS Rules.

There are over 200 differences between the codes, most of which are relatively minor, but there are several MAJOR differences, and we really don't have an option as which code WE choose to apply..

Offline BigWill

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 07:28:25 AM »
Check out the Aloha Clinic videos on this Catch no Catch philosophies on this play all vids they explain  and RULE as no catch  ^no

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »
Perhaps the best way to deal with the differces is to apply NCAA Rules and philosophies when working games governed by NCAA Rules, and when working rules governed by NFHS Rules and philosophies, abide by NFHS Rules.

There are over 200 differences between the codes, most of which are relatively minor, but there are several MAJOR differences, and we really don't have an option as which code WE choose to apply..

Thank you! That is exactly the issue. We can't apply NCAA rules to an NFHS situation.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:54:25 AM by FBUmp »

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »

Totally agree. Control with both feet on the ground and a loss of control AFTER the player's body hits the ground is still a catch and never a fumble.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:53:46 AM by FBUmp »

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
Check out the Aloha Clinic videos on this Catch no Catch philosophies on this play all vids they explain  and RULE as no catch  ^no

The unfortunately, as great as their videos normally are, they are incorrect in applying an NFL/NCAA rule in an NFHS situation.

However, since they are an island until themselves, they are free to do so. :)

Offline BigWill

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
The unfortunately, as great as their videos normally are, they are incorrect in applying an NFL/NCAA rule in an NFHS situation.

However, since they are an island until themselves, they are free to do so. :)

Hmmm  .... They are incorrect interesting.  hEaDbAnG

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »
Perhaps your insistence on clarification should be directed to the Aloha Clinic Videos

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »
IMHO, (1)If a receiver landed and took steps with the ball in his possession and then dropped the ball = complete pass & fumble. (2) If the receiver landed and took steps with the ball in his possession and fell down losing the ball as he contacted the ground = complete pass & forward progress stopped. (3)Airborne receiver drops the ball as he lands = incomplete pass. (4) Airborne receiver drops the ball when he lands prone on the ground = incomplete pass. This is usually a split-second call (the ones we get paid the big $$ for :)) and applying our "When In Question" guide, should be incomplete. Note that a reoccurring theme thru the "When In Question" lists is to make the call that has the LEAST impact on the game.

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »
Player established possession of a live ball left foot comes down followed by the right then falls to the ground and the ball comes out what do you have Catch or no Catch ?  ::)

Ralph, to me the original post sounds like your case 3. Feet touch then he falls to the ground. Which I would say is incomplete.

The original post does not sound like a player taking two steps to me.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Ralph, to me the original post sounds like your case 3. Feet touch then he falls to the ground. Which I would say is incomplete.

It seems, Stryker, your analysis is incomplete, at least relating to NFHS rules.  The issue you fail to address is whether the received had possession, because if the covering official judged the receiver to have had possession of the ball, and subsequently maintained possession through his "initial contact with the ground inbounds", by NFHS rule definition that is exactly a catch.  One foot or two has nothing to do with it.

If the receiver was contacted after "initially touching the ground inbounds" while possessing the ball, you are most certainly dealing with a catch followed by a fumble, at least according to the NFHS rule.  The salient point is whether the covering official judged him to be in possession, when he touched the ground.  If not, the pass, again by definition, is incomplete.

The problem with any Bang-Bang call is that the answer is not obvious, and depends on the details of what was actually seen.  Under the NFHS "A ball in player possession of a live ball held or controlled by a player after he has caught or recovered it" (2-34-1) and "a catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball which is in flight and first contacting the ground inbounds while maintaining possession of the ball" (2-4-1).

I think it fair to suggest the determining factor, far more often in judging whether a catch was successfully completed is deciding if possession was actually achieved, and subsequently maintained while initially contacting the ground inbounds, or the subsequent contact prevented the receiver from gaining possession, and completing a catch.  Whether there was one step or two, has no significance if there was no possession.

Offline BigWill

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
We had alot of good input on this subject and by the sounds of things NO CATCH seems to be the answer  ^no

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
We had alot of good input on this subject and by the sounds of things NO CATCH seems to be the answer  ^no

Not sure I agree with your assessment of the participants' input; but, if you are going to adopt this philosophy, you are going to waive off a TD when the situation occurs in the EZ.  Neither the FED catch definition nor the description of a TD (8-2-1) specify any "duration" or "process" for the catch.  A player needs only to establish possession and return to the ground inbounds while controlling (not juggling - my emphasis) the ball.  That can be as little as one step or count IMHO.

The tough call we have to step up to and be ready to defend either way 'cause somebody ain't gonna be happy; but I believe a catch is best supported by rule.

Jim D.

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Let's put it this way.

If you call close plays like this incomplete, there will be no problems.  Everyone will understand, there will be not complaints and life will be good.

If you try to sell this as a catch, you'll get second-guessed and criticized by coaches, fans and your fellow crew members.  Life will turn dark and sorrow will follow you.

I learned this lesson a long time ago, and it's served me well.  If it's at all close on a catch - no catch, call it incomplete and move on.  Everyone sees the ball laying on the ground, and expects the incomplete signal. 

Offline BigWill

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
I think this is the problem when you put Black and White together on paper you get GREY and that is the problem with the wording in this rule  cRaZy The last few words of the rule leave it open: While maintaining possession of the BALL
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:16:21 PM by BigWill »

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
I think this is the problem when you put Black and White together on paper you get GREY and that is the problem with the wording in this rule  cRaZy The last few words of the rule leave it open: While maintaining possession of the BALL

Which is "open" to the observation and judgment of the field official ruling on that specific play, which is exactly, and exclusively, where that decision belongs.