Author Topic: Chain Clips.  (Read 8269 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Chain Clips.
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 03:34:24 PM »
I always have a nylon tie wrap in my hat. Chain breaks you have it for a quick repair.

I'll wager, it's also magically protected you from ever having to deal with a broken chain.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 08:25:31 AM »
https://ibb.co/54dSmxT

Certainly economical and convenient to carry. If you have a 'stat' guy that is logging down-distance-location for every down, then you can get away without having a clip that identifies the yard line. But, for lower level (HS, etc.) you really need a more affirmative way - other than our memories - to know the yard line on which the clip is placed. Even during my FBS days, when we quite often had 'stat' guys, our H's still always had clips that had yard-line indicators. We could never be too careful. (Side note: We also almost always had a guy logging clock stoppages, too, so we could reset the game clock accurately, when needed (and we did need them on a few occasions). A decent 'stat' guy could do all of that. And, we had a foul recorder, logging period, time, foul, player, team, and calling official(s) for every foul. Made life much easier when completing post-game reports. I miss that part of those days.) 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
We're lucky if we have a 4th to be the "clip guy" on Fridays.

I'm 2 for 2 in give-aways so far this "spring season".  Week 1- they were using a scrawny whistle lanyard.  Week 2- looked like one of the slider ribbon style that had worn off to just a scrap of fabric below the clip and had faded to white.

I may have to head back down to the hardware store at this rate.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 08:31:12 AM »
I'll wager, it's also magically protected you from ever having to deal with a broken chain.

It didn't for me. I kept a zip tie in my hat and one weekend had to use them 2 straight games, Friday night varsity game and a Saturday JV game...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
I'll bet you were really glad you were smart enough to replace the one in your hat band after your Friday Night experience.  Something must have really ticked off the football Gods, in your area, that weekend.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
A couple of HL duties :
(1) Be sure the clip-man (gender-neutral) understands where to clip and to clip in a link (4-man chain crew), DBG (down box guy in a 3-man crew).
(2) Check for tape or some marker on the 5 yard section on the chain,as this can aid in penalty enforcement.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2021, 05:32:54 AM »
…...another HH (helpful hint) is on measurements, have your DBG (down-box guy) go to lead pole before bringing chains in. If the measurement is short, send the FPG & BPG (Front Pole Guy & Back Pole Guy) back to the sidelines with the chains and instruct them to reset off DBG, then signal DBG how much to back off FPG. Saves on shoe leather  ;)!

NOTE: "Guy" is considered gender neutral.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 07:11:56 AM »

NOTE: "Guy" is considered gender neutral.

Yeah, I would have left my wife for our foul recorder "guy" in San Jose, if she would have only asked. Wisely, for both of us, she didn't ask. BTW, I told my wife about her (some years later, of course). Still married - 41 years, now. (And Happily, I will add.  :) )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:05:25 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:56 PM »
So I am just starting out and want to ask all head linesman. Do you prefer the cloth chain clips or the plastic dials and why.
I prefer the dial type, because they are conspicuous, can easily be set to the proper number, and can't be mistaken for anything else. It is also easy to grab onto the dial when moving the chains to the new location.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 06:29:20 AM »
I prefer the dial type, because they are conspicuous, can easily be set to the proper number, and can't be mistaken for anything else. It is also easy to grab onto the dial when moving the chains to the new location.

Don't just grab the dial - grab the chain, itself, with the clip of the dial firmly inside your fist, to ensure the clip doesn't slip off while you move to the measurement location. That has happened, and you can not accurately put the clip back on the chain if that happens. And the teams will notice. Oh! They will notice.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
grab the chain, itself,

Goes for dial, strap, lanyard, key fob- whatever they've got hanging on there.

Offline ilyazhito

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
I grab onto the attached clip with my middle and 4th fingers, and the dial with my thumb. I also like that it's big enough to feel in my pocket, and can't be confused for a down indicator.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »
I also like that it's big enough to feel in my pocket, and can't be confused for a down indicator.

Are you saying it is in your pocket during the game? It should be connected to the chain, at all times during the game...

***Well, one of the two should be connected to the chain at all times during the game - sometimes both (briefly). But, you should never have one in your pocket, unless it is truly a 'spare.'***
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:57:45 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline ilyazhito

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
I'm talking about before and after the game. Of course it's on the chains during the game.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »
I'm talking about before and after the game. Of course it's on the chains during the game.

Yeah, in the pocket before/after the game is not time critical, so no disaster if you can’t recognize it tactily.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »
Don't just grab the dial - grab the chain, itself, with the clip of the dial firmly inside your fist, to ensure the clip doesn't slip off while you move to the measurement location. That has happened, and you can not accurately put the clip back on the chain if that happens. And the teams will notice. Oh! They will notice.
THE SCENE : I was a rookie HL, Nixon was in the White House, and the game field had only lines every 10 yards resulting in plenty of measurements....
 (1) Early in the game the R called for the chains;
 (2) I went racing to the sidelines  :o - we used to play just off the end then - while pulling out my oversized clip as the chain crew appeared to be drunk and didn't want to bother with it;
 (3) In error, I clipped over the chain AND NOT INTO A LINK;
 (4)as the pole guys staggered out onto the field, I felt the chain slide thru my hands & the clip pi1eOn ;
 (5) when we reached the ball, the lead pole had advanced a couple of feet thru my hands;
 (6) the R said : "GEEZ, I thought it was closer than that...".

EPILOGUE : The game wasn't close, so I didn't feel my goof-up had any impact. I kept my goof-up to myself until we were safely in the ref's car. When  :-[  I explained my goof to my partners, the ref pulled his car over at the closest store , and gruffly announced : "YOU'RE BUYING  >:( !" My game fee was $12 back then. A 6-pack of PBR was $3 back then. I HAD LEARNED MY LESSON. BE SURE THAT YOUR CLIP IS SECURE BEFORE YOUR JOURNEY TO THE BALL...

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2021, 12:33:39 PM »
Early in my career many many moons ago, I was told by the White Hat, if I signal 1st down and the coach requests a measurement, you better ball up enough chain in your hand to ensure it is a first down.   I thought he was joking but he was serious.

Most of these games were in small town Mississippi.  Poor lights, wavy markings and who knows what chain crew you were going to get.  I never did it but he did chastise me a time or two when he was wrong.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »
Early in my career many many moons ago, I was told by the White Hat, if I signal 1st down and the coach requests a measurement, you better ball up enough chain in your hand to ensure it is a first down.   I thought he was joking but he was serious.

Most of these games were in small town Mississippi.  Poor lights, wavy markings and who knows what chain crew you were going to get.  I never did it but he did chastise me a time or two when he was wrong.
If/when I signal first down, all opportunities for measurement have passed. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2021, 09:33:21 AM »
If it is close, but I can see it will/won't be, I'll usually bring the  captain of the team which my call is not going n favor of and say : "Captain .as you can see, the lead pole is just short of ( just in advance of) the yard on the sideline, where the ball is just beyond of (just short of) the hash mark....". He will usually agree and if the coach will yell for a measurement, the captain will respond : "Na, it's short (he's got it), coach..". IMHO, it's always good to have opposing captains watch if we do bring chains it. If the play ended with the ball not pointing up the field ,you may want to adjust it before the chains arrive. A suggestion is for the white hat to place his hat at the foremost point of the ball and adjust it. Those watching will realize that you are not advancing the ball, just adjusting it. Ask your wing officials to run all the way in, when they know it's going to be close, so you can spot it on their foot, not trying to line it up with them in the side zone....

DISCLAIMER :These are merely the mutterings of a grumpy ole' umpire awaiting for his first game of corona baseball and not those of NFHS, NCAA, MPA, AFL/CIO and the like

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:51:09 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 01:09:41 PM »
Ask your wing officials to run all the way in, when they know it's going to be close, so you can spot it on their foot,

Good advice but I hand the ball, not toss it, to the wing official and let them spot the ball.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 01:50:31 PM »
Good advice but I hand the ball, not toss it, to the wing official and let them spot the ball.
Good point, Jason, if the play ends in a side zone I'd do that,too. If the measurement was shot, we would bring the chains & ball in to the hash for spotting. If the play ended in the center zone having the wing run up to the ball for spotting. This would prevent the need to re-spot the ball and chains.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 08:03:14 AM »
Absolutely, whenever a 'spot' is close for a first down, the wing official(s) (including F and S on crews of 7 & 8, on occasion) must charge to the dead-ball spot, and call for the ball to be tossed/handed to him/her, and personally spot the ball. And that may mean charging beyond mid-field, if his/her cross-field partner does not have a good look at the spot. Absolutely, DO NOT hold a spot yards away from the dead-ball spot, and spot the ball there, and then measure there - even if that happens to be inside the hash marks. Get to the actual dead-ball spot and spot the ball there! You will catch enough flak about the spot being a 'bad spot' without having to listen to the legitimate complaint that your spot way over there wasn't even close to the real spot way over here.
Yeah, it takes hustle. Nobody said this was a lounge chair activity. :)

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 08:16:05 AM »
This works on a turf field.  On a grass field I always had my wings get a spot and stay there.  One of the other officials would bring the ball to the wing man in whose side the ball became dead.   When inches matter, moving into the field gives the possibility of error.  When the wing marks the spot like a bird dog and waits for the ball, there is less fuel for one of the coach's complaints.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2021, 08:34:12 AM »
This works on a turf field.  On a grass field I always had my wings get a spot and stay there.  One of the other officials would bring the ball to the wing man in whose side the ball became dead.   When inches matter, moving into the field gives the possibility of error.  When the wing marks the spot like a bird dog and waits for the ball, there is less fuel for one of the coach's complaints.
Just for my understanding, why would grass make a difference? Our crew has always worked it like the others posted, grass or turf. If the wing runs to the spot there is no chance of error. It became dead where it became dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »
I receive dozens of calls from coaches every season. I try to mentally separate them into gripes/rules. The majority of gripes are regarding "bad spots" and I politely explain that is a judgement call and I can only help you with a rule. We need to stress to our wings to stay focused on forward progress as that can be easily picked out of a game film and griped about. They need to HUSTLE into a spot and clearly mark it.

PS: If the coach had a question on a rule, I would correct him if the crew got it right. If it sounded like it was misapplied, I'll tell the coach that I'll contact the crew before we discuss it further and call him back. I'll call the crew's white hat and get his application explained. Either way, I will respond to the coach and explain that it was/wasn't handled correctly. Seems fair.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 04:46:29 AM by Ralph Damren »