Author Topic: R working a different position in a semi final?  (Read 17866 times)

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
Re: R working a different position in a semi final?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Unless you have firsthand, direct knowledge of solicitation, this is a serious allegation to bring.
If you do have such knowledge, then feel free to report it to the Ethics committee.

Coming to an online message board to complain about someone getting an assignment serves no purpose other than to internally alienate the community that already has more than enough opposition coming from the outside. 

As I said in my post, I choose to be happy for the guy that got tapped, regardless of the circumstance. 
If you handle your business on the field, then sooner or later, you will be the guy in that spot...I am sure you wouldnt want everyone under the sun undermining the work you put into your craft by asserting that you brown-nosed your way there.   deadhorse:

I have been doing this 33 years and this year I am the GUY IN THAT SPOT, my first one, and it is only because I TRY and handle my business on the field.  What you say here is very true and unfortunately the other side of what you say is true as well.

ALStripes17

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
I have first hand knowledge of solicitation every year but I would never report it because it's high school football and I laugh at grown men that want a high school game that bad, I wasn't complaining either I asked a simple question, seems like many got defensive, I was more or less trying to gauge the moral turpitude of other members on here across the state, thanks for the feedback
If you're not going to report it then why even bring up the subject.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 08:03:43 AM »
If we did things right, this wouldn't even be a conversation topic because coaches wouldn't have any say in who works their games!  Coaches picking officials is simply ridiculous and leads to real and perceived solicitation.  We all know getting one opportunity to meet a coach face to face in an off-the-field setting betters your chance of being picked.  Do away with picks, you fix that problem.  I know of no where else in the country, at the high school or college level, where coaches pick their officials.

ALStripes17

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
If we did things right, this wouldn't even be a conversation topic because coaches wouldn't have any say in who works their games!  Coaches picking officials is simply ridiculous and leads to real and perceived solicitation.  We all know getting one opportunity to meet a coach face to face in an off-the-field setting betters your chance of being picked.  Do away with picks, you fix that problem.  I know of no where else in the country, at the high school or college level, where coaches pick their officials.
Completely forgot y'all do things that way... Innovative? Haha

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
If you're not going to report it then why even bring up the subject.

Again... I was more or less trying to gauge the moral turpitude of other members on here across the state...that would be why I brought it up

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
Again... I was more or less trying to gauge the moral turpitude of other members on here across the state...that would be why I brought it up
  Not sure that that means . . . . As to the issue of an R filling it at a Deep Flank position -- that has nothing to with morals or ethics or values.  That is more a function of how that particular Chapter operates; that is, how it decides to make game assignments.

As for the solicitation you claim to have witnessed -- it is now your moral turpitude that is at issue.  If you are aware of actual soliciting -- not just assuming it happened or heard it happen -- you have the moral and ethical obligation to report it.

Start with your own moral turpitude before worrying about the moral character of others.

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »
  Not sure that that means . . . . As to the issue of an R filling it at a Deep Flank position -- that has nothing to with morals or ethics or values.  That is more a function of how that particular Chapter operates; that is, how it decides to make game assignments.

As for the solicitation you claim to have witnessed -- it is now your moral turpitude that is at issue.  If you are aware of actual soliciting -- not just assuming it happened or heard it happen -- you have the moral and ethical obligation to report it.

Start with your own moral turpitude before worrying about the moral character of others.

I feel like you didn't read the entire thread, maybe go back and browse...not sure what that means? I also feel like the statement is self explanatory so I can't really help you there, I can say I didn't wittness a felony or something awful in nature so I feel my moral turpitude is just fine...I'm not a snitch dude

ALStripes17

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
I feel like you didn't read the entire thread, maybe go back and browse...not sure what that means? I also feel like the statement is self explanatory so I can't really help you there, I can say I didn't wittness a felony or something awful in nature so I feel my moral turpitude is just fine...I'm not a snitch dude
Then stop complaining. It's not snitching and this isn't gang vs. gang issues.

Be a part of the solution since you are on the horizon of moving up, as you stated earlier.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:32 AM »
Words I heard from a wise mentor a long time ago...

"If you are not part of the solution... you are a part of the problem."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

I have been following this thread from the beginning and browse this site every day at this time of the year.  And it is not "snitching". You have a professional obligation as part of your agreement to join TASO to uphold the ethics of the organization.  Officiating is about upholding the Rules.  Soliciting is a "crime" against other officials -- it takes money away from other officials that otherwise could work the game that was solicited. 

Nobody says officiating was easy.  This is an honorable advocation. If the public cannot have trust in what we do, then sports needs to die off.

So, again, if you have positive knowledge of soliciting, then you have an Obligation to report it.  When I served on our ethics committee, if I was referred a solicitation matter -- the person who did the solicitation would be punished, as well as all those that we find out knew about the solicitation.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 01:32:17 PM »

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »
f we did things right, this wouldn't even be a conversation topic because coaches wouldn't have any say in who works their games!  Coaches picking officials is simply ridiculous and leads to real and perceived solicitation.  We all know getting one opportunity to meet a coach face to face in an off-the-field setting betters your chance of being picked.  Do away with picks, you fix that problem.  I know of no where else in the country, at the high school or college level, where coaches pick their officials.

Like I have pointed out before, the only sport in Texas that gets to "choose" who works their games.

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Like I have pointed out before, the only sport in Texas that gets to "choose" who works their games.
  Have seen the difference in games assignments by the Board vs Coaches Pick in Dallas -- the Coaches Pick is far more equitable -- in my opinion.

Mr. R

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:09:06 PM »
 You guys are hilarious and some of you are hypocritical liars. Look through some of these other topic and you contradict  exactly what you're saying in here. There's nothing wrong with anybody  working another position  as long as he can work the position. This is all jealousy. And if any of you say that you wouldn't work a game  in a different position if you had a chance to, you're a liar.  In Houston, where they work seven man, most of your deep wings are the weakest position. They are either at the end of their career and don't move very well or they are At the beginning of their career and don't have a lot of experience. So I see nothing wrong with an R or anyone else working this position if he can do it.  The fact that you say this is solicitation, must mean that's what you would do if you were working it. Just because you solicit doesn't mean everyone does. When i work a game, I go out To work it to get as many snaps in as I can.   I guess if this made you mad because this R did it in the semi's, it's really gonna make you mad because there is an R doing it in the 6A D2 game on Saturday. Good for him. And by the way, pretty sure that the R that did this was picked for two championship games this weekend. (Both 5A) However the new rule would not allow him to work but only one.  Good for him 

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 09:28:49 PM »
That R is also the guy that was in an elevator talking with a coach's wife two years ago then conveniently got picked by that coach the following week. I'm sure that was just a coincidence.

Offline oldandold

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
Hit a nerve in the Houston chapter?   eAt&

Mr. R

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
So are you saying that he slept with the coaches wife to get a game?   Sounds to me like haters going to hate.

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
You guys are hilarious and some of you are hypocritical liars. Look through some of these other topic and you contradict  exactly what you're saying in here. There's nothing wrong with anybody  working another position  as long as he can work the position. This is all jealousy. And if any of you say that you wouldn't work a game  in a different position if you had a chance to, you're a liar.  In Houston, where they work seven man, most of your deep wings are the weakest position. They are either at the end of their career and don't move very well or they are At the beginning of their career and don't have a lot of experience. So I see nothing wrong with an R or anyone else working this position if he can do it.  The fact that you say this is solicitation, must mean that's what you would do if you were working it. Just because you solicit doesn't mean everyone does. When i work a game, I go out To work it to get as many snaps in as I can.   I guess if this made you mad because this R did it in the semi's, it's really gonna make you mad because there is an R doing it in the 6A D2 game on Saturday. Good for him. And by the way, pretty sure that the R that did this was picked for two championship games this weekend. (Both 5A) However the new rule would not allow him to work but only one.  Good for him

I am not jealous bro, I am busy this weekend.  To say that deep wings in the Houston Chapter are weak is a flat out lie, we are the only chapter that has 7 man crews so we are obviously more progressed for obvious reasons.  I am not mad at all because a grown man worked deep wing in hopes of getting another game, I actually am the opposite, its funny because you know he did that and apparently also talked to a female at one point to get a game...a high...school...football....game...lol...reality check...

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »
Don't steal my line.

I absolutely never said he slept with anyone, he may be the real life 40 year old virgin. He admitted to having a conversation with the coach's wife and introducing himself as a referee blah blah blah then he was selected by that coach the next week.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:02:57 PM by HoustonRef »

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 10:26:01 PM »
Don't steal my line.

I absolutely never said he slept with anyone, he may be the real life 40 year old virgin. He admitted to having a conversation with the coach's wife and introducing himself as a referee blah blah blah then he was selected by that coach the next week.

If anyone seriously believes that a coach picked a crew based on a elevator ride with a coaches wife -- I guess there are other conspiracies I can sell you on.  Was it wrong to have a conversation -- maybe.  But, if that was all there was to it, and you think that was the reason you think he got picked -- you do not have a very high opinion of what coaches go through to make picks. 

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »
  If anyone seriously believes that a coach picked a crew based on a elevator ride with a coaches wife -- I guess there are other conspiracies I can sell you on.  Was it wrong to have a conversation -- maybe.  But, if that was all there was to it, and you think that was the reason you think he got picked -- you do not have a very high opinion of what coaches go through to make picks.
That was definitely not the sole reason he got the game, but it was the reason his name was mentioned. The coach heard the name from his wife who knew the playoff game he worked that weekend so the coach then called around and ended up picking him.