Author Topic: Changes for next season I would like to see:  (Read 13857 times)

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Changes for next season I would like to see:
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
couple things I would like to see UIL institute for next year:

1) UIL institute a mercy rule.  50, 60 points, run the clock.

2) Sub Varsity clocks:  7th and 8th grade, when the ball goes back to the middle of the field after a stoppage (penalty, incomplete pass, player out of bounds, whatever), we wind the clock.

Edit to add #3

3) Tighter controls on airhorns.  Being next to the sidelines is completely unacceptable.  They should be a minimum 100 feet away from the field.  I had one guy blow it right in my ear as I walked by once.  I loathe them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:12:29 AM by psv »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Changes for next season I would like to see:
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
couple things I would like to see UIL institute for next year:

1) UIL institute a mercy rule.  50, 60 points, run the clock.

2) Sub Varsity clocks:  7th and 8th grade, when the ball goes back to the middle of the field after a stoppage (penalty, incomplete pass, player out of bounds, whatever), we wind the clock.

I agree!!!  We run the clock anyway, so why not make it a formal rule.   As for middle school games, the worst thing to ever happen to these games is game clocks not being kept by officials.  The operators are usually not very good and watch the ball, not the officials.  There is no good reason to have a 2 hour middle school game!  I'd also like to limit TO's to 2 per half per team.  Personally, I very much dislike working middle school now days because the games are just too long, for the most part.  They try to throw the ball, and usually quite badly. 

Offline salth2o

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »
I agree.  We usually run the clock as well.  The middle school where my son plays has a running clock for B team.

Do away with knee pad rule.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »
I agree!!!  We run the clock anyway, so why not make it a formal rule.   As for middle school games, the worst thing to ever happen to these games is game clocks not being kept by officials.  The operators are usually not very good and watch the ball, not the officials.  There is no good reason to have a 2 hour middle school game!  I'd also like to limit TO's to 2 peri half per team.  Personally, I very much dislike working middle school now days because the games are just too long, for the most part.  They try to throw the ball, and usually quite badly.

^flag  And even with the implementation of a written UIL mandate to that effect, you're still going to have a plethora of those very same coaches and administrators that will be busy scurrying down to the field from the press box to tell the refs not to run that clock, despite the score being something like 56-0 at the six minute mark of the 2nd Quarter and screaming out, ~ "Hey! We've got kids that we need to play, you idiot ~ don't run that clock!"

They simply won't give two hoots in hell if the UIL mandated it or not!  z^

Offline jj06878

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • A flow of words is not proof of wisdom.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:57:02 AM »
Had a mentor once say for sub varsity...start every game with a 12-12 score.  Every time you take a time out if cost you 3 points. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »
^flag  And even with the implementation of a written UIL mandate to that effect, you're still going to have a plethora of those very same coaches and administrators that will be busy scurrying down to the field from the press box to tell the refs not to run that clock, despite the score being something like 56-0 at the six minute mark of the 2nd Quarter and screaming out, ~ "Hey! We've got kids that we need to play, you idiot ~ don't run that clock!"

They simply won't give two hoots in HECK if the UIL mandated it or not!  z^

We have a coach in my area that refuses to let the clock be run in varsity or sub varsity games regardless of the score.  It could be 120 to 0 and he doesn't like it.  The last time I worked a varsity game for this coach we were quite liberal with the clock in a 64 to 0 game in the 3rd quarter and the coach called a TO and said to me "hey, we don't run the clock at XXXX."  I just said, that's fine coach, but I do because there is no reason to embarrass those kids on the other sideline, their coach wants it, and if you disagree, don't pick me again.  He never picked me again, and I scratched him, so we have nice understanding. 

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
I edited to include airhorns... the big ones that should be on trains or semi's... those need to be far away from the field.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:17:26 AM »
I edited to include airhorns... the big ones that should be on trains or semi's... those need to be far away from the field.
+1

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »

Doesn't affect UIL guys directly, day-to-day, but I'd like the NCAA to change replay to make it a "challenge" system, only - one, plus one more if first one is correct, and, like the NHL, if they are wrong, its a penalty, plus loss of T/O, plus no more challenges.

Maybe two replays per game.

Robert
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:30:16 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

Absolutely!

Offline QAfta

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:32:37 AM »
Coaches no longer select officials/crews for games.  But since the coaches will never give this up....

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Coaches no longer select officials/crews for games.  But since the coaches will never give this up....

Regular season our coaches don't.   For playoffs we allow it.

Offline salth2o

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »
I would like DPI to be a spot foul. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »
I would like DPI to be a spot foul. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was, a long time ago, but it was deemed too severe, so it was changed.  Not at all likely to revert back.

Robert

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
Switch wing sides at the half.

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
For all subvarsity run chains on the home sideline.

Offline TxBJ

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »
Switch wing sides at the half.
Why in the world would we want to do that?

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »
College does it, let’s the wings work the side of each coach, in case there is trouble with one coach he won’t have to be with him all game

Offline TxBJ

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 03:19:28 PM »
College does it, let’s the wings work the side of each coach, in case there is trouble with one coach he won’t have to be with him all game
I don’t see any of those as valid reasons, especially “college does it.” I know when the NCAA started doing it the prevailing opinion around this forum was we wouldn’t want to do it in Tx high school, but maybe that is not the prevailing opinion anymore.

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
Texas high school officials are the most easily persuaded officials in the country due to coaches picks, a coach works the wing officials, switching would let both coaches work the same wing official which would even it out

Offline Williams

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 05:34:11 PM »
Texas high school officials are the most easily persuaded officials in the country due to coaches picks, a coach works the wing officials, switching would let both coaches work the same wing official which would even it out
Would that be the end of "that guy over there is xxxxing me!"

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
 LOL
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 09:20:28 PM »

tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl

In the country, huh? 

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 09:45:46 PM »
You can read!! aWaRd

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
I would def agree that Texas HS officials bend over for coaches bc they want to make sure they get picked in post season and next season. Coaches use the pick system to their advantage and sadly there are officials who will do whatever it take to make coaches happy and get picked.