Author Topic: UIL Exception to Targeting  (Read 5302 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
UIL Exception to Targeting
« on: May 05, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »
With now two categories for targeting will we see more calls made and fewer ejections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: UIL Exception to Targeting
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 02:52:17 PM »
That is the intention of the change so hopefully yes

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:12:13 AM »
What are the differences in TGT for Texas?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:37:50 AM »
What are the differences in TGT for Texas?

While the UIL (governing body in Texas) will have their opportunity to accept the rule change in whole, or modify it, I don't expect they will modify it.  Like us, they will just want to understand it fully.  To date, in the UIL, there has been no difference in what constitutes targeting.  But the UIL has different procedures for dealing with players that get disqualified.  As officials, we really aren't concerned with what happens after the DQ.  The rule change doesn't change what IS targeting, only how Replay deals with it.  Replay is only used for championship games, so the change doesn't really affect us, day-to-day. 

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:12:06 AM »
Do you mean the change where Replay will now either confirm or overturn and not let a TGT stand?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
Since only the Championship games in UIL games have the benefit of video review, this change has little effect on our game. However, in an effort to encourage high school officials to flag more potential targeting fouls as well as to try to ensure players are not routinely ejected for what could be a mistaken targeting call, the UIL has made a significant change to how we will handle the foul in our games. This season we will have 2 types of targeting, the “simple” targeting will be when a hit looks like targeting but the officials can’t be absolutely sure all the required elements for targeting are present. The penalty for that foul will be 15 yards with an automatic first down for fouls by the defense. If a player is flagged twice in a game for this foul he will be disqualified. If a player is flagged for “flagrant” targeting, the current penalties will be applied and he will be disqualified immediately. Officials will be expected to confer after a targeting foul is called and report to the referee whether it is a “simple” or “flagrant” targeting. Flagrant targeting will be called in those instances where there is no doubt about the targeting foul and where the hit could cause catastrophic injury to the player being hit or delivering the hit.

Offline HoustonHL

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
 If you are not sure it is targeting, DON'T throw the flag. If there is question after discussion, pick up the flag.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
Actually we want to stay with the philosophy and the rule, when in question,  it is targeting.  But it will be the “simple”targeting
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:21:00 AM by TXMike »

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Mike, when will the UIL exceptions be made public?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
They are waiting for actual language of NCAA rules so can finalize the exceptions .   

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
Are any other changes expected to be made to last year’s exceptions?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:12 PM »
Removed.     I was mistaken.  Thought it had been approved by UIL
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:48:50 PM by TXMike »

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
Effective for the 2019-20 School Year, the 10 second runoff option will be applied in UIL games as written in NCAA Rule 3 (3-3-5, 3-3-9, 3-4-3, & 3-4-4).

I'm sure this won't be an issue at all...

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
Our folks will prove once again they can learn and adapt. There were some who opposed us implementing this rule over the years as it evolved because they did not think we could Handle the complexities.  Let’s show them how wrong they were

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »
Honestly, I'm not worried about our side of it. We have more than enough resources and ability to effectively teach and apply the rule. But think about the large majority of games that don't have a microphone. Or all the subvarsity games that have no microphone plus an inattentive untrained clock operator. It could take 2-3 minutes to reset the clock by the time the coach microphones up and the clock operator gets the information and figures out how to reset it. Unless the runoff ends the half, who cares that the clock is going to start on the RFP? The team already got a free timeout and will be at the line waiting for a whistle. The inefficiency of our system will negate part of the penalty the rule is supposed to impose.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »
Removed.     I was mistaken.  Thought it had been approved by UIL

Sorry, not sure what this means.  Did you upload the exceptions prematurely?  Or is one (or more) of the expected changes to the exceptions not accepted?

Robert

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
Honestly, I'm not worried about our side of it. We have more than enough resources and ability to effectively teach and apply the rule. But think about the large majority of games that don't have a microphone. Or all the subvarsity games that have no microphone plus an inattentive untrained clock operator. It could take 2-3 minutes to reset the clock by the time the coach microphones up and the clock operator gets the information and figures out how to reset it. Unless the runoff ends the half, who cares that the clock is going to start on the RFP? The team already got a free timeout and will be at the line waiting for a whistle. The inefficiency of our system will negate part of the penalty the rule is supposed to impose.

I agree with your concerns about how the mechanics of the runoff will work without a mic or in sv games.  I'd sure like to go back to the days where no, or very few, sv games had a game clock and we kept it on the field.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »
I agree with your concerns about how the mechanics of the runoff will work without a mic or in sv games.  I'd sure like to go back to the days where no, or very few, sv games had a game clock and we kept it on the field.

:thumbup

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
Got a copy via our chapter but can't find it on the UIL site yet.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
I don’t believe the 2019 UIL Exceptions are “official,” yet, although most “in the know” believe nothing will change from an unofficial document that may have been prematurely distributed.

The prospect of two levels of targeting is an issue that will need careful consideration of how we communicate with teams and spectators.  Like with the 10-second subtraction, in stadia sans field mic, it will be difficult to even announce the fouls, much less have the spectators and/or pressbox folks understand a targeting foul (no DQ) versus a targeting foul deemed flagrant (with DQ).
There will need to be lots of ‘education’ with coaches.

Unlike other UIL Exceptions, in this case, the UIL has actually replaced the NCAA rule with their own rule.  (Except in Championship games, in which they will revert to the NCAA rule, using replay.)

I’m ready for a nap.😴