Author Topic: There are good guys out there,too.....  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
There are good guys out there,too.....
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
This being an officials' forum, we often view coaches' actions in a negative light. I had a very good experience that I wanted to share with you guys...

Our chapter services 19 schools and at least 4 have teams of 20 or less players. The other night I worked a matchup of two of those. Maine has running clock when a team is up by 35 or more the 2nd half.

(1) With 5 minutes to go in the first half, and down 31-0, the trailing coach asked if we could go to running time. It didn't fit the state's criteria , but I realized that 3-1-3 would allow that with the other coach's agreement. When I ask the leading coach, he replied : "We've been in that situation before and of course we'll oblige." He then started to substitute as much as he could.

(2) Fast-forward to 2 minutes left to play in the game, trailing now 38-0, the team had 1st and goal at B's 6. A's coach called time and came to the huddle . I overheard the coach asking his team to vote. I learned later that the vote was to go for a TD OR try a field goal now. It seemed the team had an exchange student from Uruguay that they had promised to allow him to try a field goal if the situation ever arose. The vote was 11-0 and the exchange student entered the game. It didn't appear that the opponents had any desire to rush the kicker or block the kick that sailed thru the goal posts.
 ^TD     pHiNzuP ^TD

(3) The kicker was wildly congratulated by his teammates, the game ended shortly and both teams were very friendly to each other in post game. Neither team expected to be state champs but both teams were there to have a good, clean game of football that they, their coaches, and we officials love.

Our chapter awards a sportsmanship trophy after the season that the officials vote on. This year, my vote will be easy.....

ELLSWORTH EAGLES - COACH, DWANE CRAWFORD  aWaRd

ORONO RED RIOTS - COACH, BOB SINCLAIR  aWaRd

.....as co-winners, I know they will be happy to share. tiphat:

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: There are good guys out there,too.....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:30:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ralph. It's nice to hear that sportsmanship is alive and well. I suspect there are more stories like this, but we just don't hear about them.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: There are good guys out there,too.....
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Great to hear stories like this.

I was working a Jr high game a couple weeks back, I'm a newer official and just try to get as many snaps as possible. This was a new school that just opened this year and let's just say they were losing badly! In fact they hadn't scored all year! The winning team had the ball on about the 15 yard line and called a timeout with 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter. My WH was VERY upset to say the least and walked over to ask the coach what he was doing.

Coach: "we are going to let this team score."

QB came out, and threw the ball right to the safety, and they all chased him down into the endzone. Game ended 41-6.