Author Topic: Multiple Changes of Possession  (Read 5130 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Multiple Changes of Possession
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
Over time, there have been many discussions which involved multiple changes of possession during a down.  However, I do not recall ever actually seeing it happen.  Have any of you had this happen?  Often?  Were there any complicating factors such as fouls?  Were there fouls by the team last in possession prior to their gaining final possession?  Were you able to sort things out without much ado?  Any significant problems?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Multiple Changes of Possession
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
I’ve had it a couple of times where B intercepts and then fumbles and A recovers. I don’t think there were any fouls though.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
The closest I’ve had is an interception followed by a Team B fumble through Team A’s end zone. Team B’s coach thought he should get a safety since it went through the “offense’s” end zone.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »
Misread the OP ... Thought "Over Time" meant "Overtime" as in Resolving Tied Games.

As for multiply COP on a play, yes I have had several "A-B-A COP's."  Each time we used the following jingle to determine the clock status when the down ended in-bounds ... A-B-A = Ready for Play.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:11:23 AM by Ump33 »

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

As for multiply COP on a play, yes I have had several "A-B-A COP's."  Each time we used the following jingle to determine the clock status when the down ended in-bounds ... A-B-A = Ready for Play.

yEs: yEs: yEs: :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »

A bad tune to think of if "Either team is awarded a new series following legal kick" (NFHS: 3-4-3c).

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »
A bad tune to think of if "Either team is awarded a new series following legal kick" (NFHS: 3-4-3c).
    "During a kick, some dude does some crap;
       if a new series, crank 'er on the snap."

tR:oLl

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 05:38:19 AM »
    "During a kick, some dude does some crap;
       if a new series, crank 'er on the snap."

tR:oLl

Somebody’s been in the lobster martinis again......

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Somebody’s been in the lobster martinis again......

Is that supposed to imply that he stopped at some point?

Offline MClays99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
Years ago in a playoff game:  A 1st & 10 from the A 30.  A snaps ball, guilty of illegal shift at snap, QB hands ball to tailback.  Tail back fumbles ball 25 yards downfield at B 45 where B scoops up ball.  During B's "return", B holds at the A 47.  B then proceeds to fumble the ball where A recovers at the A 40.

Might be the strangest play I have witnessed first hand.  If memory serves me correctly, we had 1st & 10 A, from the 40 when all was said and done after what seemed like 10 minutes.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
Years ago in a playoff game:  A 1st & 10 from the A 30.  A snaps ball, guilty of illegal shift at snap, QB hands ball to tailback.  Tail back fumbles ball 25 yards downfield at B 45 where B scoops up ball.  During B's "return", B holds at the A 47.  B then proceeds to fumble the ball where A recovers at the A 40.

Might be the strangest play I have witnessed first hand.  If memory serves me correctly, we had 1st & 10 A, from the 40 when all was said and done after what seemed like 10 minutes.

I believe the correct option in that case is a double foul and you replay 1/10 at the A30.

A did not regain the ball with clean hands, so they can't keep the ball by declining B's foul. B did get the ball with clean hands, but was not the team last in possession, so they can't decline A's foul and keep the ball (because they no longer have it).

Offline MClays99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 11:49:22 AM »
Our WH at the time wanted to give the ball back to B since they got it with clean hands. Our BJ and I (LJ) kept bringing up that B wasn't in possession when the play ended so they couldn't have the ball.  The HC on my sideline was A in the situation and was about to blow three stents and two arterial grafts when the WH tried to tell him he wasn't keeping the ball.  Thankfully the WH listened to the BJ & LJ away from the sideline and A ended up with the ball, but to be truthful I cannot remember where we ended up with the first down.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
We had this one a few years back.

Team A 3rd and 10 from their 30.

A34 receives the ball on a handoff, runs to the side, turns around, eventually is back to the 22 and is pulled down by the facemask where he loses the ball. B60 recovers at the 20, runs to the 5, and himself is hauled down by a horse collar, fumbles the ball and it's recovered by A at their 5.

That year, the horse-collar was ignored as the player fumbled the ball before being pulled completely to the ground. It's since changed.

So, we picked up the horse-collar flag, and gave A the option of result of the play (1st and 10 at their own 5), or marking off the 15-yard facemask (3rd and 3 at the 37).

We were was wrong back then (see if you can spot it), and today the horse-collar would add new options.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
I don't think I see the mistake, unless you're saying the facemask was during a loose ball play and should have had previous spot enforcement (which seems unlikely, but maybe he fumbled prior to the facemask?)

If he was pulled down by the facemask whereupon he fumbled the ball, the facemask foul should be enforced from the basic spot which is the end of the run -- that is, where he fumbled (A22) and that run ended. Result would add 15 yards to the A37, still behind the LTG, so replay 3rd down.

Otherwise, decline the foul and the take the results of the play which is 1st and 10 at the A5 due to the changes of possession.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
I don't think I see the mistake, unless you're saying the facemask was during a loose ball play and should have had previous spot enforcement (which seems unlikely, but maybe he fumbled prior to the facemask?)

Isn't any fumble behind the line of scrimmage a 'loose ball play' and considered to be previous spot enforcement?

(He fumbled after the facemask, or rather during it, but that should be irrelevant, right? Or do I interpret this rule incorrectly?)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:26:52 PM by bbeagle »

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »
Yeah, you're right on that... somehow I didn't make the mental note that he was behind the LOS there.

I have this weird feeling this type of play will come up like 6 times this season, and I'll owe you a beer for getting this stuck in my head the first time it comes up.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »

If he was pulled down by the facemask whereupon he fumbled the ball, the facemask foul should be enforced from the basic spot which is the end of the run -- that is, where he fumbled (A22) and that run ended. Result would add 15 yards to the A37, still behind the LTG, so replay 3rd down.

Otherwise, decline the foul and the take the results of the play which is 1st and 10 at the A5 due to the changes of possession.

All runs preceding a loose ball play are part of the loose ball play.  So, no need to split hairs when the FM is pulled in relation to the fumble.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
I believe the correct option in that case is a double foul and you replay 1/10 at the A30.

A did not regain the ball with clean hands, so they can't keep the ball by declining B's foul. B did get the ball with clean hands, but was not the team last in possession, so they can't decline A's foul and keep the ball (because they no longer have it).

That's what I have, too.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
All runs preceding a loose ball play are part of the loose ball play.  So, no need to split hairs when the FM is pulled in relation to the fumble.
Good point, Bossman, and remember loose ball plays can ONLY occur behind the LOS. Fumbles downfield are enforced as running plays and our beanbag(s) have marked the end of that related run.