Author Topic: Online Clinics?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline ref4e

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • An outstanding official usually doesn't stand out
Online Clinics?
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
Here in NC, there are nine approved officials associations that assign HS football officials in designated geographical regions.   Officials are required to attend six (6) local clinics, a state rules clinic (covers rule changes and POE's), and an association meeting (covers mechanics and business for respective regional associations), as well as working three (3) pre-season scrimmages.  This adds up to 20-25 hours of time invested, not counting drive time and fuel.   HUDL Video is used now in most meetings, but it seems that available technology could reduce time and travel by making local clinic content available to officials to view at home.   That being said...

--Are any associations/chapters in other states using online meeting or e-learning platforms to meet all or part of their annual training requirements?
--If so, what platforms are used?  (Google Classroom, ProProfs, others?)
--How has it worked since being implemented?   Positives?   Negatives?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Re: Online Clinics?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
In my area of Wisconsin, varsity games are assigned by conference commissioners or individual school ADs.   The state governing body requires each official to: pay a registration fee;  watch a rules video; complete one (or two, depending on official's level) online, open book test(s).  Officials are not required to belong to a local association to receive assignments.  Joining local associations is purely voluntary and does not guarantee assignments.  However, since local association membership implies better training, it follows that belonging to a local association can not hurt!  We used to have to attend a rules meeting in person, but that went away several years ago mainly because of the travel associated costs.  Down side is that I expect that we have more "outside the tackle box", "uncatchable passes", "linemen reporting as eligible", etc. calls that states that require more/better training. 

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Online Clinics?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
I think online videos are great for enhancing any learning opportunities. There is much to be said though for getting together and discussing in person. You can have much more rich discussions and dialog. You can see body language and get a better feel than even if you have a live presenter online. The best part is camaraderie with other officials. I think we would lose a lot of officials because they would lose a key personal connection to the avocation we love.