Author Topic: Help clarify something  (Read 5225 times)

Backjudge29

Help clarify something
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:12:24 AM »
Guys, as a younger official I need help with a couple things.
1. Starting clock after penalty.  Last friday night my white winded the clock after a fale start (illegal procedure) by an offensive guard. This play happened after a timeout.  Is that right? ?? I don't see how it could be.      When do you run clock ? Doesn't it depend on the status of the ball??? Someone please help me with an example of when and when not to wind clock.. 2. Wing officials,  when is the appropriate time for a wing official to throw hat off?  Or is that just college /nfl?   Is it anytime a player legally goes out of bounds?
Thanks

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Re: Help clarify something
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
Wind the clock: When the last play had the clock running, and it was stopped because a REFEREE's whistle, not a player's action.

For example,
Incomplete pass, running out of bounds, touchdown: What stopped the clock? The player's actions caused the clock to stop.

Penalty called after a running play in-bounds: The referee whistle caused the clock to stop - otherwise it would keep going.

Penalty called after an incomplete pass: The referee whistle did NOT cause the clock to stop - the incomplete pass (player's actions) did. Therefore, next play starts on snap.

Penalty called after a false start: Was the clock running BEFORE the false start? If so, clock starts on ready. If not, clock starts on SNAP.

From what you say, the white hat wound the clock incorrectly. Maybe either he forgot that the clock stopped in the previous play for a timeout, or he using a mercy-rule in  'keeping the clock running' in a blow-out game. If it was a close game, stop the clock and inform the white-hat of the previous play.

Throwing the hat: Don't do it in high school. This is not an approved NFHS mechanic. For college/pros, it signifies that you saw a player go out of bounds. In college/pros, the penalty flag is only thrown if that player is the first to touch the ball after coming in bounds. NFHS rule is different - the flag is ALWAYS THROWN when the player returns in-bounds (illegally), thus no need for a hat.

maven

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »
1. You need to learn the "major clock stoppers" — after any of these, the clock starts on the snap. Rule 3-4-3:

a. The ball goes out of bounds.
b. B is awarded a new series.
c. Either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.
d. The ball becomes dead behind the goal line.
e. A legal or illegal forward pass is incomplete.
f. A request for a charged or TV/radio time-out is granted.
g. A period ends.
h. A team attempts to consume time illegally.
i. The penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted.
j. A fair catch is made.

2. In Ohio, wings use the hat to signal a player has "intentionally" (i.e., not been blocked out) gone OOB. This is not, however, a standard NFHS mechanic. Its purpose is, perhaps among other things, to keep an official reminded of the possibility of illegal participation.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »
Throwing the hat: Don't do it in high school. This is not an approved NFHS mechanic. For college/pros, it signifies that you saw a player go out of bounds. In college/pros, the penalty flag is only thrown if that player is the first to touch the ball after coming in bounds. NFHS rule is different - the flag is ALWAYS THROWN when the player returns in-bounds (illegally), thus no need for a hat.

Unless, of course, yur assigner says to do it.  Our association's mechanics changed this year so that we are dropping the hat when a player steps out of bounds, whether forced or unforced. 

As always, YMMV.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
Could be that the R forgot the clock status so he wound it after the markoff.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline VALJ

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:56:37 PM »
Could be that the R forgot the clock status so he wound it after the markoff.

Always a possibility, especially if (like me) he's a newer R.  A good LJ will stay on top of this and remind the R whether he should be winding or if the clock starts on the snap.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
A good LJ will stay on top of this and remind the R

What?  Your U too busy having a  sNiCkErS break?

Stop tooting your horn VA! LOL

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
Regardless of how many times you've come up short, next week will always be a "real possibility" of working your first perfect game.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:07 AM »
What?  Your U too busy having a  sNiCkErS break?

Stop tooting your horn VA! LOL

:)  Our association, we specifically assign this to the LJ, since he's usually on the pressbox side and the R can see him after signalling a penalty.  The U on my crew does a fantastic job of helping me out with this - heck, my whole crew does - but LJ has main responsibility.