Author Topic: The "Deadline"  (Read 31477 times)

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
Re: The "Deadline"
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
One man mechanics...Get back in your truck and go home if you are the only one there.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2010, 10:35:13 PM »
One man mechanics...Get back in your truck and go home if you are the only one there.

Better yet, never get outta the truck until you see another striped shirt!

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »

That's a pretty appealing option!

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:12 AM »
I'm interested though Mike:
What age was that game, and why were you alone? Was it planned for 3 man and the others dropped out/no show? I'd like to know.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 08:25:01 AM »
Site was 90 miles from center of our service area.  It is a small school jr hi.  Not a lot of guys are willing to make that trip on a Thursday afternoon so only 1 guy had been scheduledsince the day it was first announced.  The chapter cannot force people to do games so if nobody violunteers, it is what it is.

Offline PanamaRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
Site was 90 miles from center of our service area.  It is a small school jr hi.  Not a lot of guys are willing to make that trip on a Thursday afternoon so only 1 guy had been scheduledsince the day it was first announced.  The chapter cannot force people to do games so if nobody violunteers, it is what it is.

Next time let me know in advanced if i can get a cheap plane ticket I will go and work it.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2010, 04:25:31 PM »
I don't know where the UIL thought they were going to get officials to cover games this week when I've got to go two man a 3A JV game tonight even without the UIL deadline induced shortage.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:02 AM »
Yeah this weeks games would have been a nightmare for schools if we would have had even a few less. to call
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »
Not sure on details but the hearing in fed court was moved to Nov 24.  Someone filed a document that caused court to issue delay.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
Not sure on details but the hearing in fed court was moved to Nov 24.  Someone filed a document that caused court to issue delay.

^flag

Methinks that the  tiphat: Good UIL Dr., his  :!# Dancing Monkey, and their minions need just a little extra time to prepare their case for the Court. So why not on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving! Sounds like the perfect time for it to ultimately get delayed until at least Mid-December. If that scenario plays out, then I can definitely see all of the UIL registration process getting tossed out of the window or at least placed on indefinite hold, and only reinstated if they should ultimately receive a favorable ruling by the Court. I would think that this delay could well begin to place TASO in the legal drivers seat!   z^

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
Or more time to get their collective stories straight..................................
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
They better get it fixed before baseball season or it's going to be UGLY!  TASO Baseball met in SAT this weekend and they are very much in lock-step to stand against UIL. 

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
They better get it fixed before baseball season or it's going to be UGLY!  TASO Baseball met in SAT this weekend and they are very much in lock-step to stand against UIL. 

I could not agree more with that statement.  TASO baseball will not move off of their stance of never registering.  This will really show what supply and demand will do to officiating.  Little league baseball and AAU ball is huge all over Texas.  It is a true testiment to TASO baseball that they have been able to keep their members from calling the (closer, better paying, better accomadations,) Little league games for this long.  Add UIL registration on top of all of these other benefits of Little League and you will not have TASO baseball coverage.  All of the Summer ball and woodbat leagues is where the baseball people make all of their money to begin with.  Who schedules all of that... TASO DIEHARDS.  This will cause more chaos then the week 10 deadline in football could ever dream of...I LOVE IT

Offline TXMike

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
Heck you guys have motivated me to sign up as a TASO baseball guy!!  I like your thinking

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »

The way it sounded in the courtroom, was that the court at the last hearing had asked/instructed the plaintiff (ornry, that's us - TASO) to resubmit/refile their "complaint" and it also sounded like they were supposed to do that to include the evidence or statements that were presented/made at the Oct 20th hearing.  That filing evidently was done yesterday.  So this morning the AG complained about not having time to review those filings.  WOULD A LAWYER WHO WAS THERE PLS CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG....

Basically, here's how it went.  You know "those people" who walk through the door to a grocery store, then stop and look around not caring that there are a bunch of people behind them waiting to get in?  Yeah, those people were the defendents today.

There was one interesting note, the judge and plaintiffs (ornry, that's us - TASO) lawyer had an exchange where they discussed the "arbitrary" nature of the december 1st date, they compared that to the arbitrary nature of the nov 1st date.  If I remember correctly, the judge said something like he was inclined to agree that the date was arbitrary.  The defense (ornry, that's the UIL) stepped away from their table for a moment to discuss if they would agree to move that arbitrary date to Dec 18th, allowing for the status quo to finish the season, they declined to agree to that.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
 ^flag

Make no mistake: Time is definitely an ally of TASO's!   z^

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
Mr. Liggett could have a second career as a court reporter...  Only mistake he made (understandable because the UIL misrepresented this in court) was TASO filed the complained of petition Monday, not Tuesday.  UIL tried to exclude the amended petition, the judge denied that motion, but gave the UIL time to respond (November 23rd at 5 pm).  Hearing is set for November 24 at 2 pm.  Poor souls that need to work the afternoon the day before Thanksgiving.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:15:45 PM by Getting Fat »

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
Mr. Liggett could have a second career as a court reporter... 

$100k 

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
 Legal Action Postponed in TASO Lawsuit Against UIL
November 11, 2010
Dear TASO Member:
During a hearing in Austin, Federal District Judge Lee Yeakel yesterday (Wednesday, Nov. 10) postponed action on TASO’s request for a preliminary injunction against the UIL’s effort to create a registration, regulation and licensure program for Texas sports officials.
Here’s the reason for the delay:
On Monday (Nov. 8),  TASO amended its lawsuit to include facts that came to light during the preliminary injunction hearing (the UIL’s refusal to deliver rulebooks, the UIL’s use of the tragic death of a high school football player as a coercive tool, the fact that the Commissioner of Education never approved the UIL Sports Officials Department, among others).
In response, the UIL filed a motion to exclude TASO’s amendments. Judge Yeakel denied the UIL’s motion. However, in an abundance of caution, the judge allowed the UIL time to respond to TASO’s amended petition.
The hearing has been re-scheduled for 2 p.m. November 24 in Austin.
Judge Yeakel reiterated that he would rule by December 1, and said he agreed with TASO’s attorneys that the December 1 deadline seems just as arbitrary as the November 1 registration deadline originally set by the UIL.

Just as before, TASO continues to fight the regulation of our members by the UIL and there is still no requirement or reason to register with the UIL at this time.
Sincerely,
Mike

Michael Fitch
Executive Director   

WABill

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »