Author Topic: Block/Charge  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Block/Charge
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
Can someone please explain what constitutes a charge in the NCAA.  Verticality seems to have no significance any more; nor does the ability to move to maintain a (previously established) guarding position.

I can't count the number of times during the tournament and the season that an offensive player has jumped into the defensive player - either standing straight up or moving to maintain position -only to have a blocking or defensive foul called.

I hear that this "the way" Adams dictates it's to be called; if true, and between this and the semi-circle fiasco, the game I love so much IMHO is being ruined!  The officials, players, fans, and coaches are all confused. 

Dr. Steitz must be rolling over in his grave.... :(   

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Block/Charge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
I agree Curious. I've been away from the men's college game for too many years to answer the question but how it's being called these days is nowhere near what I was taught by the likes of Galvan, Kelley, Guthrie and Phillips. IMO, the quality of calls in this year's tournament leaves a lot to be desired.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
I agree Curious. I've been away from the men's college game for too many years to answer the question but how it's being called these days is nowhere near what I was taught by the likes of Galvan, Kelley, Guthrie and Phillips. IMO, the quality of calls in this year's tournament leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks R'man...glad I'm not going crazy!

I go back to Hank Nichols and Don Shea - and when in doubt I actually had a number of wonderful conversations with Dr. Steitz.  We used to first consider "advantage/disadvantage"; but all these ticky-tack calls are driving me nuts.  How many times have we seen lay-ups called back because the slight bump was observed on the way to the basket.  The contact had no impact on the driver; but two points are denied by such petty officiating...

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Conversely, how many times have we seen an offensive player drive recklessly into the lane (often taking 2 or 3 steps) only to be bailed out by a petty block call on a defender who was trying to maintain his position? I don't work basketball, so I don't have an in depth knowledge of it, but to me it's like flipping a coin on what is a block and what is a charge.