Author Topic: Is this correct?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
Is this correct?
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
I first have to start with a caveat: I didn't see the play so I don't know if the report I saw is actually correct or not. If any one saw it please correct me.

The situation in Oak v. BUF.

Oakland to punt. Buffalo roughs the kicker. during the dead ball period, before the chains were set, the OAK punter picks up the flag and acts the fool, (using a prop) getting an Unsportsmanlike penalty.

In this article http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-raiders-punter-calls-out-bills-player-on-twitter-for-being-a-snitch/?linkId=31982102

it says

"Although King (the Oakland punter) was hit with a 15-yard penalty on the play, it didn't really hurt the Raiders because the flag game after the play. Since the Bills were penalized first, the Raiders got a first down. After that penalty was enforced, King's penalty was added and the Raiders got the ball at their own 32-yard line with a fresh set of downs, only they were facing first-and-25 instead of first-and-10 because of King's penalty."

Why would that be 1st and 25? I assumed it would still be 1st and 10, as the new line to gain had not yet been established (the chains had not been set when the UNS foul occurred.)

Am I missing something?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Is this correct?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
In the NFL, this is 1st and 25 since it's a foul between downs. Whereas NFHS and NCAA have live ball or dead ball fouls, the NFL has a third category of "foul between downs" for things that are not in the continuing action. If Team A commits a foul between downs after getting a first down, it is 1st and 25. 14-4-9-2.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »
Before we tweaked 5-3-1 back in 1997, that would also have been the case in NFHS. Unsure what NFL sez' on this.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
In the NFL, this is 1st and 25 since it's a foul between downs. Whereas NFHS and NCAA have live ball or dead ball fouls, the NFL has a third category of "foul between downs" for things that are not in the continuing action. If Team A commits a foul between downs after getting a first down, it is 1st and 25. 14-4-9-2.

I didn't  realize that. Thank you.