Author Topic: Flank Officials Swapping Sidelines after Halftime  (Read 2677 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Flank Officials Swapping Sidelines after Halftime
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:47:52 PM »
The just-released TASO 7-man mechanics have the flank officials swapping sidelines after halftime - similar to NCAA. Any thoughts pro's/con's?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Flank Officials Swapping Sidelines after Halftime
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
The just-released TASO 7-man mechanics have the flank officials swapping sidelines after halftime - similar to NCAA. Any thoughts pro's/con's?

Just remember (everyone), this is only Crews of 7.

This means that Hs will have to do some L things in the first half (primary on stopping the clock for first downs, etc.), and Ls will have to do some H things in the first half (manage the chain crew).  Really not that difficult.  But, if I was an L, I’d probably be annoyed - having to look into the sun for those early evening starts.🙂

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
But, if I was an L, I’d probably be annoyed - having to look into the sun for those early evening starts.🙂

I've always said that whoever came up with the idea of switching sides at the NCAA level was an H at some point. It wasn't about "equality" or perceived partiality, it was about not looking into the sun the first half.

Just remember that while your administrative duties may change (such as managing a chain crew), keys and mechanics don't change. You do the same things you would normally do, you just do them on a different sideline. The strong side of a balanced formation is still always to the L, not necessarily the press box. The L still holds the line of scrimmage on pass plays. S always comes into the middle for scoring kicks and F always goes under the upright. Those things don't change.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
As LegacyZebra said, my understanding is the same, the duties and keys the S&H perform and the F&L do not change based on what sideline they are on. Only exception is the responsibility for chains & measurements given the chain crew does not swap sidelines.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:14:09 PM by bctgp »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:28:25 PM »
Manuals are available on TASO website

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
As LegacyZebra said, my understanding is the same, the duties and keys the S&H perform and the F&L do not change based on what sideline they are on. Only exception is the responsibility for chains & measurements given the chain crew does not swap sidelines.

Not so much the H, L, F & D, but the B that will need some practice.  He may be used to looking to the pressbox side for declared strength in balanced formations, since that is where the L has always been.  Now he'll need to recognize that the L is opposite the PB in the first half.  Not a major adjustment, but an adjustment, nonetheless, for those having to do it for the first time.
We now have 6 schools in our assignment area that will use crews of 7 (up from 3 just a couple of years ago).  Those crews will need to review this and get comfortable with it during fall scrimmages.  Shouldn't be a big problem.

Robert

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
This isn't a bad thing and good officials can and will adjust. It's just completely unnecessary. It's a PR move so the coaches feel like Bill on the other side can't screw him in the second half if he's on his side. What he fails to recognize is the perceived bias isn't Bill because he's on the other side, it's any official that's on the other side. They'll always think (and some research has shown ever so slightly) the official on the other side is being influenced by the coaches on that side just like he's influencing the official on his side.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
I prefer to think that we, as officials at any level, would not concern ourselves with what coaches think or want.
From my NFL contacts, I'm told that the reason they started switching sidelines years ago wasn't a 'coach' driven thing as much as it was driven by sideline officials, to be able to only have to put up with some coaches for one half.

Life will go on, with or without switching sidelines.  Get one game under our belts and all will be 'normal.'

Robert