Author Topic: Blind side block  (Read 8180 times)

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
Blind side block
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »
Blindside block not called and kid may be dead...”playoff” crew missing simple safety fouls is unacceptable. L saw the collision then you could tell he was like ah crap, then turned and went up field as quick as possible.
https://www.12newsnow.com/mobile/video/sports/high-school/football/video-huge-block-by-hutto-wide-receiver-breaks-the-internet/269-8337784

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Blind side block
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:35 AM »
It is very unfortunate if this was missed.  If so, it's not just on the L but also on B and maybe even U and R, assuming they did not have anything to clean up from their keys.  Prayers go out to the player and hope for a speedy recovery. 

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:27 AM »
The player is fine and according to the news story, the hit was actually a blessing in disguise.  While being checked out at the hospital, an X-Ray revealed a growth in his arm that might be cancerous.  Without the hit and checkup by medical personnel, this may have gone unnoticed.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/mccallum-football-player-hurt-in-viral-video-says-hes-thankful-for-the-hit/269-616025587

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Just for the sake of discussion.   What is the signal for blindside block?   

Watching it several times, it looks like the R or U had the best angle for calling this.   At the point of the hit, the off wingman should be cleaning up the backside and the R & U should have had that quadrant as the near wingman goes downfield.  Definitely launched (he was on his toes just after the block).   I am sure we have all missed targeting or had a hesitation and not thrown the flag.   Hope not to miss one this weekend. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:38:37 AM by centexsports »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
Just for the sake of discussion.   What is the signal for blindside block?   

There is no signal for blindside block because a blindside block is not illegal. However, it makes the player defenseless and he cannot be targeted to the head or neck area. The foul is targeting and the targeting signal is used.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
That was a crew of 7.  This is something the deep wing should have been looking for.  The R has responsibility for the passer, and other action behind the play, at this point, and the U should still be checking line play.  The L might be able to see this, as there are no other blockers or opponent's around the BC, so he should not have "tunnel vision" on the BC, and can look around/ahead of the BC.

But, action ahead of the BC has got to be the deep wing - "F" in this case - and the B.  This blocker was the F's key (even though you can't read numbers, the blocker has black shoes, and the widest receiver on this side had black shoes - the inside guy had white shoes) so the deep wing should definitely pick this up.  On this type of play, experience should tell us to check for the guy "swimming against the stream," and keep our attention on him.  Deep wings don't have progress (until the B-2), so he should be paying virtually no attention the BC.  In this day and time, with so much emphasis on targeting, we simply have to maintain focus on our keys, so we can see these acts develop.  After we hear the crack of the helmets - it is too late.  We will neither know if there was use of the crown of the helmet or contact above the shoulders, WITH an indicator, in either case.
Tough enough with a crew of 8 and replay.  Even tougher with a crew of 7 and no replay.  But dang near impossible with 5.  But we have to try.  We simply have to be prepared for this type of play to happen, and be looking in those "high crime" areas, whenever possible.  If we see the guy with a brick in his hand - he isn't guilty yet - but we need to see him throw the brick through the window.  After the fact is too late, because it then becomes circumstantial, and we can't officiate based on circumstantial evidence.

Robert

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
Was this a Houston crew???? That’s assault.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »
According to Greg's spreadsheet this was not a Houston crew.  What's interesting (or disappointing) is the following segment from an Austin news station.  Their "expert" individual who analyzed the play is stating it was a legal hit.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/was-that-viral-hit-between-hutto-and-mccallum-a-clean-block-we-took-a-closer-look/269-616011849

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Not a Houston crew, prolly one of those lower tier smaller chapters that’s gonna be complaining about lack of playoff assignments.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 05:54:13 PM »
Not sure why we would be focused on the crew’s origin, rather than study how we, as a community, can consistently do this better.  Rather, let’s consider techniques that we can use to help us get these fouls.  I’ve offered what I hope can be considered constructive recommendations.  I look forward to hearing real suggestions from others.

Robert

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Look where you’re suppose to look and stop ball watching...pretty sure that’s all that would be required to pick this up.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
There is no signal for blindside block because a blindside block is not illegal. However, it makes the player defenseless and he cannot be targeted to the head or neck area. The foul is targeting and the targeting signal is used.
Perhaps not in NCAA rules, but in NFHS, it is signal 38 (personal foul) and signal 26 (bumping fists in front of your chest).

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 05:05:29 AM »
Perhaps not in NCAA rules, but in NFHS, it is signal 38 (personal foul) and signal 26 (bumping fists in front of your chest).
Lol is this for real?!?!

We don’t give signals for categories in which a foul occurred. We signal for OH not grab and restrict, we signal for DPI not not playing the ball. But good one CenTex...wait that wasn’t a for real question right??? I sure hope not as you stated you have a playoff game this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:08:29 AM by HoustonRef »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »
Lol is this for real?!?!

AIUI a blindside block is a separate personal foul category in NFHS, just like we have facemasks and roughings, which do have a separate signal.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
Yes it was a real question.   I have decided that my crew will incorporate all safety related rules no matter where they come from.  Blindside from NFHS, a slight touch on the QB's head from the NFL, a red card for major penalty (the fans love this because I stand in front of the player and hold it above their head) and injured players get an eight count before I make them leave the game for a play.  Next year we are going to try to incorporate seven on seven rules where the whistle will be blown as soon as the BC is touched.   

Just so you know, there is not a game in the whole State of Texas that I would be worried about taking my crew to work.   

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
AIUI a blindside block is a separate personal foul category in NFHS, just like we have facemasks and roughings, which do have a separate signal.
Cool story but I thought this was the Texas topics section...

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »
Yes it was a real question.

Just so you know, there is not a game in the whole State of Texas that I would be worried about taking my crew to work.
As well you should but I assuming you’re talking about any game in Texas 4A or lower

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
Cool story but I thought this was the Texas topics section...

It is, but js did state that he was talking about NFHS, not NCAA. I'm personally guilty of sometimes discussing NCAA rules in the NFHS forum, when the difference is interesting (at least to me).

Offline BIGHOSSREF

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Yes it was a real question.   I have decided that my crew will incorporate all safety related rules no matter where they come from.  Blindside from NFHS, a slight touch on the QB's head from the NFL, a red card for major penalty (the fans love this because I stand in front of the player and hold it above their head) and injured players get an eight count before I make them leave the game for a play.  Next year we are going to try to incorporate seven on seven rules where the whistle will be blown as soon as the BC is touched.   

I bet you have a very good umpire who knows exactly what the definition of targeting is and only throws 15 yard penalties too!!! he keeps you from getting in trouble with safety and sportsmanship issues!!! #whatisahold???

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »
I bet you have a very good umpire who knows exactly what the definition of targeting is and only throws 15 yard penalties too!!! he keeps you from getting in trouble with safety and sportsmanship issues!!! #whatisahold???
Sounds like you have a long, solid high school career ahead of yourself. #youdoyou
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:05:42 PM by HoustonRef »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »
I think everyone should just calm down and enjoy the Holidays. One of you have been warned before!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline oldandold

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
Well this thread went down the tubes.  Had some good comments then tanked.

Offline Neckbone

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
Having moved from TX to AZ this year, getting used to NFHS rules has been puzzling.  Blindside block was a new one for me it is a safety rule and will more than likely appear in NCAA rules in the near future.  A good rule to use so aren't required to call targeting and eject.  JMHO

Offline Rmars86

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
Just to clarify on "peelback/ blindside" blocks, I want to make sure I have this right - my crew and I were working together to clarify, and this is what we came up with.

1. Block occurs against defender's back - Illegal - Block in the back
2. Block occurs against defender's chest (above waist, below head) - Legal
3. Block occurs against defender below the waist - Illegal (99%) - Clipping if from back, illegal block below the waist if from front.  (99% is because I'm sure we can come up with a scenario where it would be legal, but almost all of the time it will be back towards the LOS, more than 5 yards downfield, or on a kick play)
4. Block occurs against defender's head - Illegal - Targeting

Missing anything?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
Just to clarify on "peelback/ blindside" blocks, I want to make sure I have this right - my crew and I were working together to clarify, and this is what we came up with.

1. Block occurs against defender's back - Illegal - Block in the back
2. Block occurs against defender's chest (above waist, below head) - Legal
3. Block occurs against defender below the waist - Illegal (99%) - Clipping if from back, illegal block below the waist if from front.  (99% is because I'm sure we can come up with a scenario where it would be legal, but almost all of the time it will be back towards the LOS, more than 5 yards downfield, or on a kick play)
4. Block occurs against defender's head - Illegal - Targeting

Missing anything?

Yeah, add use of the crown of the helmet, with an indicator (to any part of the opponent's body) - Targeting.