Author Topic: Free Kicks  (Read 8215 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Free Kicks
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
15 KCI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
OK - Finally there!  We're all having a bit of trouble with the seemingly lack of order to the NFHS rules, or maybe we're all just to familiar with the order of NCAA rules, but we're getting there.  Thanks and sorry for the time it took to get here.  We're learning and we have to overcome our ingrained NCAA rules knowledge pretty fast.

That's what the board is here for.  Do not hesitate to post other situations you are confused about.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 04:02:55 PM »
Many times with Fed you have to cobble together a rule or two, look at a definition, throw in a fundamental to come up with an actual ruling on a play.  It can be frustrating.

I highly recommend the Reddings NFHS guide.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:27:45 PM by HLinNC »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
Many times with Fed you have to cobble together a rule or two, look at a definition, throw in a fundamental to come up with an actual ruling on a play.  It can be frustrating.

I highly recommend the Reddings NFHS guide.

Agree, the Redding guide is a great help in understanding the rules.  Imagine how helpful it might be if NFHS combined the Rules book  with Case book examples immediately after each section the case plays relate to.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
My two - no three, with inflation - cents worth.....

In 1997, when we tweaked 6-5-6 exp. to allow K to catch / touch / muff or bat a SCRIMMAGE kick in flight beyond the neutral zone IF no R player was in position to catch the ball, there was NO consideration to allow the same for free kicks. The free kick has to be either grounded or touched by R to be recoverable by K.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »
OK - Finally there!  We're all having a bit of trouble with the seemingly lack of order to the NFHS rules, or maybe we're all just to familiar with the order of NCAA rules, but we're getting there.  Thanks and sorry for the time it took to get here.  We're learning and we have to overcome our ingrained NCAA rules knowledge pretty fast.

To finish, do we have a 5 yard free kick infraction here or a 15 yard KCI?
KCI has always been 15. Several years ago we were strongly considering to adopt the NCAA 5-yard halo. The legendary John Adams was the NCAA rep at our meeting and announced that the NCAA was about to drop the halo rule as too often it was worth to chance the 5 for the hope of creating a muff.

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »
guess I got it right during the presentation.
We in Mass have to get NCAA rules out of our heads. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
guess I got it right during the presentation.
We in Mass have to get NCAA rules out of our heads.
I was at a party this past weekend that was attended by a Mass. official. He worked the wings (Aric Friend- if any might know) and we discussed calls that might occur more often from his position. Some such were :
(1) encroachment by B/R is a dead ball foul;
(2) pass doesn't have to be catchable, just in the area of receiver for DPI;
(3) forward fumbles going OOB given to OOB spot - can always have IFP in deemed intentional;

....at that point, our wives pulled us apart, as it was a party and not a football game  tR:oLl !!!

SUGGESTON : Focus on rule differences on the calls you'll be responsible for. The white hat will have the biggest challenge, as told several years ago, NCAA had +70 exceptions in Rule 10 (penalty enforcement) while NFHS had 16. The "all but one" principle covers many.

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
Ralph, have your ladies never been to a game? It is a party!