Football Officiating > War Stories

The whistle to beat all inadvertent whistles......

(1/3) > >>

Ralph Damren:
 It was a clear fall Saturday noon, 1970's. 2 crewmates and I were waiting for the arrival of our whitehat and wagonmaster (regrettably the same one in my post on"Bad officiating stories?") for a 45 minute drive to the 1:30 game. Wagonmaster arrived at 12:45 with the tardy excuse of "I was doing stuff >:(". We tried dressing in the car on the way to the game :( :o :!#. Finally arrived at the field at 1:40 for a 1:30 game :-X :P. The coaches had already had the coin toss yEs: and both teams were lined up for the kickoff yEs:.. We quickly assumed our positions :embarrassed: The  >:( whitehat was now ready for the kickoff and sounded his whistle....... some of the band members were not ready for the kickoff and felt it was the band director's whistle :!# pray:; :-X.....as the ball was kicked, the Star Spangled Banner began..... some players stopped :patrioticon:...some continued  pi1eOn....our white hat (who was grumpy on a good day) >:( crazy sounded his whistle again, and again, and again...... hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG......looseball play = we replayed the down(kick)..... ^no..it was not an enjoyable day ::)....and the band played on......

Etref:
Too funny!!!!,

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on October 09, 2014, 09:41:07 AM --- It was a clear fall Saturday noon, 1970's. 2 crewmates and I were waiting for the arrival of our whitehat and wagonmaster (regrettably the same one in my post on"Bad officiating stories?") for a 45 minute drive to the 1:30 game. Wagonmaster arrived at 12:45 with the tardy excuse of "I was doing stuff >:(". We tried dressing in the car on the way to the game :( :o :!#. Finally arrived at the field at 1:40 for a 1:30 game :-X :P. The coaches had already had the coin toss yEs: and both teams were lined up for the kickoff yEs:.. We quickly assumed our positions :embarrassed: The  >:( whitehat was now ready for the kickoff and sounded his whistle....... some of the band members were not ready for the kickoff and felt it was the band director's whistle :!# pray:; :-X.....as the ball was kicked, the Star Spangled Banner began..... some players stopped :patrioticon:...some continued  pi1eOn....our white hat (who was grumpy on a good day) >:( crazy sounded his whistle again, and again, and again...... hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG......looseball play = we replayed the down(kick)..... ^no..it was not an enjoyable day ::)....and the band played on......

--- End quote ---
Felt you guys might enjoy my story from yesteryear  :) :) .As I recall ,the grumpy old white hat returned home to do 'some more stuff' while my two crewmates and I went to a local pub. Their TV was blurting a news bulletin : Nixon had just fired most of the Justice Dept. - "The Saturday Night Massacre". We then decided that our day wasn't that bad after all ….and ordered another beer  8].

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on December 13, 2021, 01:44:42 PM ---Felt you guys might enjoy my story from yesteryear  :) :) .As I recall ,the grumpy old white hat returned home to do 'some more stuff' while my two crewmates and I went to a local pub. Their TV was blurting a news bulletin : Nixon had just fired most of the Justice Dept. - "The Saturday Night Massacre". We then decided that our day wasn't that bad after all ….and ordered another beer  8].

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the memories, 4 man crew, with a grumpy white hat, one more beer likely wouldn't have been near enough. 

yarnnelg:
We are waiting for the National Anthem to be played.

White Hat growls “I told him to start it five minutes ago.”

I was standing two officials to his right, out of reach.

“Flag him, I dare you.”

He didn’t laugh

But we chuckled….

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version