Author Topic: Did this warrant an ejection?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Corinthfrog

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Did this warrant an ejection?
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
TAPPS Division 1 Six Man Semifinal game in Robinson.  Dallas Lutheran in Blue, Austin Veritas in White.  Dallas Lutheran on defense, and #13 was ejected for throwing a punch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knZinRhALSQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline JBall

Re: Did this warrant an ejection?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
Was there a punch thrown there? I saw an awkward hand motion that I would consider an attempt to block or deflect a pass.  The camera moves with the ball so not sure if anything happened out of view.  Not the most experienced person here but I didn't see anything to cause an ejection.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
This video is is totally inconclusive.  No one can offer any meaningful comment on this play, based on this video.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
What Elvis said.

Offline Corinthfrog

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »
The punch was as #13 was getting off of #88's block and he swings his right hand backward.  That doesn't seem like a punch.  Admittedly, the video is not from the same angle as what the R saw, but I have seen players "chicken fight" with more contact and intent (if contact didn't occur) and flags are not thrown much less an ejection.

Offline psv

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 12:18:27 AM »
Based on that explanation, if there wasnt anything else going on, I probably wouldnt have anything there.

But, i wasnt doing the game either, and the film is still very myopic.

One thing to note:  TAPPS doesnt always use TASO officials.  TAPPS doesnt want to follow 1204 in all cases, and especially for the lower division 6 man games.  I used to attend a church that had a small school with a 6 man team.  They used a non TASO group of officials precisely because they wouldnt charge them mileage and something like 50 a game (the games were out in Trent). 

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Based on that explanation, if there wasnt anything else going on, I probably wouldnt have anything there.

But, i wasnt doing the game either, and the film is still very myopic.

One thing to note:  TAPPS doesnt always use TASO officials.  TAPPS doesnt want to follow 1204 in all cases, and especially for the lower division 6 man games.  I used to attend a church that had a small school with a 6 man team.  They used a non TASO group of officials precisely because they wouldnt charge them mileage and something like 50 a game (the games were out in Trent). 

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
1204 is for UIL games.  TAPPS has their own pay scale.

Offline psv

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
1204 is for UIL games.  TAPPS has their own pay scale.

Truth.  But for the larger TAPPS schools that I know of, they usually follow 1204.  Its the smaller divisions where money is generally tighter that do not (again, my experience is with their 6 man divisions).