Author Topic: Proper Enforcement on the try.  (Read 3208 times)

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-5
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Proper Enforcement on the try.
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
K is in position to kick a field goal on a try when R-22 mistimes his leap over the snapper. The Linesman tosses his flag as does the Umpire. The two meet with the Referee (What do you Have?), the Linesman says I have encroachment on R, the Umpire says he has hurdling on R-22 (the snappers hand was not on ground as to solve that mystery). I believe in fact we had two penalties. I know most would not worry about the encroachment. My question is if the encroachment is enforced, does K have options with the hurdling? As always thank you ladies and gents, and have a great year.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Proper Enforcement on the try.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
I assume since the snapper had not touched the ball, the play was blown dead for encroachment.  If so, then there could be no enforcement for hurdling as it is a live ball, illegal personal contact foul.  That being the case, it would be good preventive officiating to warn the defender about his hurdling.  Next time it is 15.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
I believe both fouls are Dead Ball Fouls and A may accept both, accept one and decline one or decline both. Since both fouls happened after the Ready and before the snap, the only enforcement will be on the try.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »
OP says that snapper's hand was not on the ground.  It does not mention whether or not snapper's hand was on the ball.  If however, the snapper had not placed his hand(s) on the ball, this does not sound like encroachment until/unless R-22 touches a K player.  7-1-6
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:22:56 PM by prab »

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
Proper Enforcement on the try.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
I would say it really is a "mistimed leap" if the snappers hand wasn't on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »
Enforcing both half the distance is the only thing you can do.  I disagree with js in sc that it has to be a live ball to hurdle

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
Enforcing both half the distance is the only thing you can do.  I disagree with js in sc that it has to be a live ball to hurdle
Agree with Bossman that hurdling is a personal foul and you can have a dead ball personal foul. Encroachment would also be called if the snapper had put his hand on the ball.