Author Topic: Weighing my Options, advice needed on returning to officiating  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Weighing my Options, advice needed on returning to officiating
« on: December 13, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »
Hi folks tiphat:

Been a while since I last posted here, but now that I need some advice, thought I'd post. It may be a bit long, so please bear with me.

I was an official in the Houston Chapter from 2011-2014. At the beginning of the 2013-2014 season, I decided to return as an auxiliary member of the chapter, due to the fact that I was taking an EKG technician class. During the season, I had only received 3 games, that's right just 3 games, which led me to decide not to return.

Since then, I have completed the EKG tech class (Got in an accident in September this year, which led to my memory not quite being as good as it was, so decided no to take the certification test again).

I am planning on continuing my education and taking a EKG monitor technician class next fall, then hopefully become gainfully employed in it and then return to officiating (1-2 years depending on how I feel and how the job hunt goes after my monitor tech class).

The main point is, the above experience in the first paragraph has left a sour taste in my mouth. I know it is my fault for not bringing up my concerns with the chapter at the time, but I was busy concentrating on my education.

Also, the other reason I may not return is, I volunteer my time at a local hospital and I am a volunteer firefighter. I do enjoy doing both, so I am not willing to give up either to return. I suppose what I am trying to say is, I may not have the time to dedicate to officiating like I once did.

On the flip side, I did enjoy learning and the camaraderie that this fraternity has given me and not to mention the people I have met.

Anyway that's enough of my ranting and raving. Look forward to reading the helpful replies.

Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year  tiphat:

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Re: Weighing my Options, advice needed on returning to officiating
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
Welcome back!

Congratulations on passing your EKG class.  I know juggling school and work and everything else is difficult.

As for officiating?  The fact that you're even posting here says a lot.

Life is too short to miss out of doing what you love...... but at the same time, life for you at this time seems quite busy. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

It's a tough spot to be in.  It sounds like some prayer is in order.  I wish you luck and hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Re: Weighing my Options, advice needed on returning to officiating
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:18:21 AM »
Welcome back!

Congratulations on passing your EKG class.  I know juggling school and work and everything else is difficult.

As for officiating?  The fact that you're even posting here says a lot.

Life is too short to miss out of doing what you love...... but at the same time, life for you at this time seems quite busy. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

It's a tough spot to be in.  It sounds like some prayer is in order.  I wish you luck and hope you find the answer you're looking for.
Thanks SD_Casey.

I got a lot of praying and thinking to do  yEs:

At least I don't have to make a decision anytime soon, so it gives me time to plan what I want to do in the future.