Author Topic: NFL - OPI  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
NFL - OPI
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
AB, maybe you know - or if there are any NFL guys out there - when pass interference restrictions begin for the offense in the NFL.

Detroit Lion's game yesterday: Eagles receiver gave Lion's DB a two-handed push (knocking him back two steps), turned, and caught a TD pass.  NO FLAG. My reaction was, immediately, OPI (as was that of the color guy on TV).  The other announcer said "maybe the ball hadn't been thrown when he pushed off...."

Do NFL rules allow such contact prior to the pass being thrown?

After the opening game "no catch" play against the Bears, and the Jim Joyce debacle against the Tigers, it would seem Detroit is "cursed" in more ways than just economically! 

LarryW60

Re: NFL - OPI
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »
Curious... as to why this would be in the Fed forum?  ???

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »
Curious... as to why this would be in the Fed forum?  ???

Gee, I soooooooo sorry!  I didn't notice that there was a Pro Rules forum.   

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
Restrictions on the passing team start with the snap.  Restrictions on the defense start when the ball is thrown.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Digest of Rules Main

Pass Interference
There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.
The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense’s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense’s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.
The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.
It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.
Other LinksHall of Fame Record & Fact Book Rule Book

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
I believe (nowhere near certain) that you can't have pass interference in or behind the neutral zone, nor on a pass that does not cross the neutral zone. If the DB is in press coverage and it's really an immediate shove and turn, the contact and/or the catch might be in/behind the NZ, and thus no flag.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
I believe (nowhere near certain) that you can't have pass interference in or behind the neutral zone, nor on a pass that does not cross the neutral zone.

Not true for the NFL.

ppaltice

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
Not true for the NFL.

AB, see Note 4.  You cannot have PI at or behind the LOS.  True in NFHS, NCAA and NFL rules.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
AB, see Note 4.  You cannot have PI at or behind the LOS.  True in NFHS, NCAA and NFL rules.

True, it's called holding, not DPI, my bad.

I knew we had penalties on passes behind the line, but it wasn't DPI.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:17:39 PM »
I believe (nowhere near certain) that you can't have pass interference in or behind the neutral zone, nor on a pass that does not cross the neutral zone.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

Whether the ball crosses the neutral zone has no bearing on OPI in the NFL.   I've seen this called a couple of times recently including Wk 1 Cowboys game this year.   This usually occurs when there is a WR screen and people are blocking downfield.  I was screaming at the TV until it became obvious that this is another case of NFL being different.   Based on the rule, I'm surprised that this isn't called more.   It is hard for guys out in front of WR to remain on the LOS or have no contact until ball is caught when you do these bubble screens.   Of course, this is different than NCAA and below as pass behind LOS doesn't have this restriction.

ppaltice

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
I was upset with that same play as well.  I looked at the NFL rules and the rules specifically stated that PI cannot occur behind the LOS.  HLinNC quoted the same NFL rule that I have in front of me.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
But in this case, the PI was about 3 yards down field.   The ball was behind LOS, but the block wad beyond LOS.

LarryW60

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line.

This is a significant change from the Fed rules.  In the NFL, ANY forward pass is subject to PI restrictions, whereas in the Fed, only forward passes that cross the neutral zone are subject to PI restrictions.  So even though the screen pass was behind the neutral zone, in the pros you still can't block downfield before that pass is completed.

ppaltice

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Yes, I read that too.  I will need to watch NFL screens a little closer.  So on screens, the blockers must remain behind the LOS.

KFox1979

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
Yes, I read that too.  I will need to watch NFL screens a little closer.  So on screens, the blockers must remain behind the LOS.

No, they can be downfield..they just can't be blocking.