Author Topic: Dreaming of next year's rules........  (Read 6217 times)

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Dreaming of next year's rules........
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
When this was legalized back in 1996 ,two concerns that arose of expanding to the shotgun was :
 (1) gives QB a quick glance to see if any receivers are open;
 (2) bad airborne snap could be fielded and spiked by QB to prevent sack.

IMHO, those two concerns still are there and a few years ago it was learned that the NFL prohibits the shotgun spike for the same reason.

1) There is no QB that is quick enough or smart enough in high school to do this.  If they did, it would look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMN4nYAIdeI

2) So what?  They were going to spike it anyway.  Besides, if you muff it, you can't legally spike it.  Case book 7.5.2B

Also, I know we don't like to use the "C" word when making high school rules, but the rule has been in College for many years with no issues.  999/1000 they are going to spike it when they receive the snap.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 02:04:49 PM »
When this was legalized back in 1996 ,two concerns that arose of expanding to the shotgun was :
 (1) gives QB a quick glance to see if any receivers are open; So? They can take a quick glance lining up for a direct snap too.
 (2) bad airborne snap could be fielded and spiked by QB to prevent sack.The current rule requires the pass be immediate . Recovering a bad snap isn't immediate, is it? What difference does it make if non-immediate pass is from shotgun or direct hand-to-hand snap?

IMHO, those two concerns still are there and a few years ago it was learned that the NFL prohibits the shotgun spike for the same reason.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks, guys, for your thoughtful responses. I bring them to Windy Indy with me and use some of your suggestions as we debate. Understand from the NH rep that we will be having an adult beverage with one of you. Back in front of ole' Del next Thursday.

:thumbup Ralph

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
Thanks, guys, for your thoughtful responses. I bring them to Windy Indy with me and use some of your suggestions as we debate. Understand from the NH rep that we will be having an adult beverage with one of you. Back in front of ole' Del next Thursday.

:thumbup Ralph

He was supposed to keep that a secret! I hope you are on your best behavior this year.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
"Tis the season where I start dreaming of next year's rules. I would enjoy your opinions on them.......

(1) Able to ask coach on penalty choice ?   My choice : YES
(2) Add to our list of Fashion- Police duties ?     NO
(3) FBZ =only for immediately following snap ?  no (small letters = not strong opinion)
(4) ENZ to 3 yards ? no
(5) OOB = clock on RFP except last 2' in half ?  YES
(6) 25 play clock after kick ? yes
(7) B/R tries to get A/K to jump = DOG ?  yes
(8) Spike from SG = legal ?  no
(9) No IG if outside FBZ & pass > LOS ?  NO
(10) AFD for DPI ?   YES
(11) No ENZ on forward pass ?    ????? (unsure - advice please)
(12) Still horse-collar if runner doesn't go down ???    yes
(14) No IP if unintentional by A but can't be first to touch pass ?    ?????
(15) All PFs by B = AFD ?         NO
(16) Previous spot for all fouls behind LOS ?   NO

I value your opinions on these. Thanks for your advice.

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:  :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: (7-man crew + chain gang and clock operators)

1. Yes
2. No
3. Get rid of FBZ & BBS, or expand BBW like NCAA
4. No
5. No
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. No. Don't punish the D.
10. No
11. No
12. No
14. No. Don't like IP? Stay in bounds.
15. No
16. No

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
Ralph,  tiphat: to Red Sox Management, unfortunate situation for the Game, and a difficult and likely painful decision, but they did the right thing.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
Ralph,  tiphat: to Red Sox Management, unfortunate situation for the Game, and a difficult and likely painful decision, but they did the right thing.
"God once said : "To cheat is a sin"...but 9 times out of 10 the cheater will win.....UNTIL HE GETS CAUGHT  P_S P_S P_S P_S P_S

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
"God once said : "To cheat is a sin"...but 9 times out of 10 the cheater will win.....UNTIL HE GETS CAUGHT  P_S P_S P_S P_S P_S

I can't believe anyone in Boston would cheat...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Ia-Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-3
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
#14 an accidental touching of the sideline is not worthy of a 15 yard penalty.   That would be on par with a personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct foul.

"Because you can referee wrong, make a mistake, but what you can not do is create your own sense of justice and, even worse, invent a very personal application of the rules."   Dutch legend (soccer coach) Johan Cruyff