Author Topic: Hip Pads  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Hip Pads
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:30:48 PM »
The NFHS Points of Emphasis 2016 indicates that the jersey must completely cover the shoulder pads and all pads worn above the waist on the torso.  The question came up regarding hip pads needing to be covered as they are worn above the waist on the torso.  I personally don't believe hips pads fall into this category.  I feel the intent of the point of emphasis was to have players cover the shoulder pads and any auxiliary pads such as rib and back pads.  My feeling is that as long as the hip pads are unaltered and worn in the manner intended by the manufacturer they don't need to be covered by the jersey.  Looking for opinions from this group.  Thanks.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
Re: Hip Pads
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:07 AM »
The jersey must reach the top of the pants and be tucked in if longer which would cover the hip pads.

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »
I am specifically asking about the older style hip pad (foam covered by rubber) that are still worn.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:12:06 AM »
When they say torso, I read that to be the ribs and other areas above the waist, not the waist itself. Hip pads aren't on the torso to me, at least for this. There may be a protrusion above the waist, but the pad itself is on the hip, in the pants.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »
I wouldn't worry about those pads Badger. They're worn as designed and not a safety issue.

Three biggest problems around here are pants that don't cover the knee, back pads flapping in the wind, and shoulder pads sticking out of jerseys.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:41:57 PM »

Three biggest problems around here are pants that don't cover the knee, back pads flapping in the wind, and shoulder pads sticking out of jerseys.
And that's what the intent of the POE is designed to address.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi