Author Topic: Ready for Play Mechanic - Umpire  (Read 7309 times)

Offline AC-Ump

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Ready for Play Mechanic - Umpire
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Our chapter evaluator recently criticized me for leaving the ball before the white hat blew the ready for play. Most schools these days seem to want to run a hurry up offense and I was leaving just before the whistle. I need suggestions for being there to the whistle and getting out of the way at the snap. I don't think its fair to be in the way of a nose guard at the snap but our evaluator is an ex-D1 white hat who insists on doing things his way.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
Re: Ready for Play Mechanic - Umpire
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
The NFHS manual prescribes the following mechanic:

Spot and remain over ball, facing referee until ready-for-play signal or released by referee.

You clearly need to be in position prior to the ball being snapped.  In situations like this, I'd hope that my referee would be giving a visible "release" signal prior to blowing the RFP.  That would likely keep any overzealous evaluators from "dinging" me for wanting to be in position.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:06:55 PM by InsideTheStripes »

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
If the team is in hurry up and they don't understand they need to wait for the whistle to snap the ball it may be good to stay there until the RFP.  If there is any delay in the RFP I also recommend being there.  Standard play with huddle, put the ball down, check off with your wings, and get into position.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
If the team is in hurry up and they don't understand they need to wait for the whistle to snap the ball it may be good to stay there until the RFP.

If they are in a hurry up, then the exact OPPOSITE is true!  The U needs to be out of there well before the whistle.  Team A can snap the ball as soon as the RFP is blown.  If the U stays until it's blown, he's going to get run over by players from BOTH teams.

Stay over the ball until the teams get to the line.  Tell the snapper to be sure to wait for the whistle, then go get into position, THEN, the R should blow the RFP.

If your observer is telling you any different for a hurry up offense, then he has no idea what he's talking about.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
true, in NFHS book it says this, but being over the ball before the RFP, in general, no matter if hurry-up or huddled, serves no purpose if the ball is not threatened.
In hurry-up, U MUST get to position ASAP, and again, standing over the ball generally serves zero purpose.  Certainly, telling center to 'wait for the whistle' would be material, but that can be done from a few steps off the ball. AND still, it's the center's responsibility to ensure it's blown.  So technically, we dont HAVE TO say 'wait for the whistle' at all.

Offline Magician

Re: Re: Ready for Play Mechanic - Umpire
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:47:43 AM »
If they are in a hurry up, then the exact OPPOSITE is true!  The U needs to be out of there well before the whistle.  Team A can snap the ball as soon as the RFP is blown.  If the U stays until it's blown, he's going to get run over by players from BOTH teams.

Stay over the ball until the teams get to the line.  Tell the snapper to be sure to wait for the whistle, then go get into position, THEN, the R should blow the RFP.

If your observer is telling you any different for a hurry up offense, then he has no idea what he's talking about.
We are saying the same thing.  In normal flow there is no need to stay near the ball because the RFP will probably be blown before they are set. In hurry up you can get in trouble if you do that and the team snaps before the RFP. They are more concerned with getting set than listening for a whistle.  It's easier to talk to the center when you are close than 7-10 yards back, especially in that craziness.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
When working a HUNH team, I will always "nod" my U off the ball and let him get into position prior to blowing the RFP.

Regardless of how fast the offense wants to go, we're simply not playing until all my guys are ready.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Re: Ready for Play Mechanic - Umpire
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
We are saying the same thing.  In normal flow there is no need to stay near the ball because the RFP will probably be blown before they are set. In hurry up you can get in trouble if you do that and the team snaps before the RFP. They are more concerned with getting set than listening for a whistle.  It's easier to talk to the center when you are close than 7-10 yards back, especially in that craziness.
I don't think we are saying the same thing.  In a non-hurry up offense, fine, you have plenty of time, stay till the RFP or move back a little earlier, it's really not going to matter.

But in a hurry up offense, the U needs to be 7-10 yards off the ball and in position BEFORE the RFP is blown.  He shouldn't be anywhere near the ball.  He shouldn't be moving AS it's blown, he has to be in position BEFORE it's blown.

Let's look an an extreme example.  There are 8/10ths of a second remaining on the stopped clock (yes, I hate clocks that go to tenths in the last minute, but we have them). The offense has to be set for one second before the snap, but there is no requirement for that set to be after the RFP, it can be before.  So A comes to the line, sets, and the instant the RFP is blown, they snap the ball.  All legal.

But how is the U going to be out of the way and watching his keys to see if they are set if he is staying with, or even near the ball until the RFP?  He HAS to be away AND IN POSITION well before the RFP is blown.

Even in the less extreme hurry-up offense, the ball can be snapped the instant the RFP is blown.  If the U is staying "near" the ball to tell the snapper to wait for the whistle, he's going to get run over as soon as that RFP is blown.

If a team is in a hurry up, set the ball, and get set in your position BEFORE the RFP.  If that means you have to be 7-10 yards away when you tell them to wait for the whistle, then fine, either tell them from there, or don't tell them at all.  If they don't know to wait, they probably shouldn't be running a hurry up offense.  Telling them to wait for the whistle is a courtesy, not a requirement.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
Tell you what, at college camps (specifically 2 different FCS camps), they do NOT want U standing over the ball nor signaling down to the wings.
Set it, get to position and do your pre-snap.
Additionally, very interesting, U does not count A when A is in hurry-up. (again, per these fcs camps - maybe conference-specific too)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
The 40/25 clock has something to do with that, Steve. Once the ball is set down, it IS ready for play.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:16:32 AM »
This is something I talk the the WH at every pregame. How are we going to handle the hurry up? Most of the time I will set the ball and stay there until WH points me away. I remind the snapper to wait for the whistle and move rapidly where I want to be. As soon as I am ready the whistle blows and the snap can occur.

Offline Magician

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
I don't think we are saying the same thing.  In a non-hurry up offense, fine, you have plenty of time, stay till the RFP or move back a little earlier, it's really not going to matter.
I don't think we are different as you think.  If I put the ball down in a hurry up and move back immediately, the offense is coming to the line to snap the ball as quickly as possible.  They aren't worried about a whistle.  They assume it's been blown.

Especially if we are having to move chains or waiting for an official to get into position, I'm going to stay at the ball until we are close to ready.  I'm not going to be there when the whistle blows, but I'm also not likely to get as deep as I normally do if they snap it quickly.  Goes with the territory.  I'd rather prevent a DOG then get into perfect position.

Agreed it is different in 40/25 since the ball is RFP as soon as I back out.  I will ask the QB/C to at least give me a second to get away from the ball before they snap it.