Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version  (Read 40571 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
...and another season is almost upon us. Share the craziest things you hear from the sidelines here.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
"Defense pass interference is an exception to half the distance? Are you kidding?"

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
"Defense pass interference is an exception to half the distance?"
That depends on which rule book you are using.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

younggun

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
"Those linemen are not getting set when the QB is calling 'set'!!!!!!!!"

Boodle

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
After #51 requested a timeout which was granted the coach exploded "Since when can a player call a timeout?  Only the head coach can call a timeout!"

Hooligan76

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Scrimmage...Head coach in response to a foul on a play tells the player who committed the foul...

"If you order a large french fry, and they give you a medium; you're going to go find out what the damn problem is..."

This coach had a number of odd one liners that day, none of which had anything to do with football, and all were eye brow raising.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
"That's not grounding-he was outside the tackle box". Last Friday. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »
Also pregame from same coach: my tackle can catch a pass if i report him right?  Yes sir, as long as he's lined up right and you put a receiver number on him. :)

Hooligan76

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »

We had one of those in a scrimmage Saturday... from the Defensive coach

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:51:37 PM »
"We may not win the game, but we certainly are not going to blame the refs."

I was very impressed with the coach. He led by example, no player on his team had any bad words, and they played hard and didn't let anything but their own actions speak for themselves.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »

I had one of our newer officials in our HS scrimmage Wednesday night ask me if I didn't call grounding because the ball got back to the LOS.   :o

I told him no, it was because I just missed it. 

kerryman71

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
Our 4th grade team which I help coach is scrimmaging the 5th grade team.  One of the 5th grade coaches actually throws a flag and says illegal use of the hands.  He claims that his son got hit and the defender's hands went into his facemask. 

The next night we're scrimmaging them again.  He comes over and says "Hey coach, how's it going?"  I say not bad and ask him if he stills has the flag in his pocket.  He laughs and asks why.  I tell him to get ready to throw it as his offensive formation has five backs.  He asks me what's wrong with that.  I tell him he can only have four backs.  He says "Who says?" so I tell him, then he asks me to point out the five backs, which I diligently do.  ;D 

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
That's a horse collar tackle (after his player was grabbed by the collar, thrown, but stayed on this feet and run 10 yards).  Sorry coach, we need to have a tackle for it to be a horse collar tackle.  So you are penalizing my player because he's talented enough to stay on his feet?
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »
"Crackback's are illegal if we hit them in back?"   After I told him it could be considered targeting, he said "we targeted him all right."

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
"Crackback's are illegal if we hit them in back?"   After I told him it could be considered targeting,...
Targeting? ???
- Vince Lombardi

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
Freshman game Monday night.  Our crew was being lenient on the play clock.. but as the game clock was running it counted down from 6:50 to 6:20 when I blew it dead for delay of game.  Coach starts screaming "how are we supposed to know that our 25 seconds is almost up.. the 25 second clock never moved off of the 25 while the game clock went down 30 seconds..."   :!#

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
1-G from B-9. A runs the ball to the B-5 where my H has a flag for a DB PF. During the play, I (R) had a flag on B14 for throwing a punch. When I tell B's coach that 14 was done for the night, the coach tells me we can't DQ him because it was only his first personal foul.  pi1eOn After I told him that throwing a punch was an automatic DQ, I got to explain why we were enforcing both personal fouls. This was all after the coach had already earned a UNS for storming on to the field to question an earlier call. Tonight was fun.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »
Tonight kicking team lines up with 3 to the left of the kicker, coach you need 4 on each side of the kicker. coach then tells me that is a Saturday rule and I am getting my codes confused.  I then tell him that there was a rule change and now it's in the federation rule book.   After half is over during team warmup he come to me and asked me to explain the new kicking rule, coach  you must have at least 4 players on each side of you kicker, and no player other then the kicker can be more than 5 yards deep. With a deer in the headlight look he asked me are you all going to enforce that rule in the 2nd half as well and do I need to make my adjustments to our kick offs to reflect the new rules?  cRaZy. I asked him what do you think? He replied I guess so.   :!#
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:37:49 AM by BIG DON »
do or do not there is no try

Offline dcbarisax1

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • D1 NWAFOA Line Judge
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
8th grade scrimmage last night, I am LJ and I tell the coach that my R and U say he only has 10 on O.  He says he knows, and for every play they run with 10 that's more running they'll have tomorrow.  At least they always had 7 on the line.   LOL
Read, Recognize, React.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
After my U advised me that a player had disqualified himself from further participation for throwing a punch, the coach told me "we have it on film."  I said "great, coach, I'm sure my commissioner would love to see it."

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
This wasn't a coach but a player.

Friday night on a free kick, R player with the second line of player makes a fair catch signal, catches the ball and then takes off. Off course I blow the play dead immediately.  As he is coming of the field, the coach says you know you can't do run after signaling for a fair catch and he replied, "I didn't think they saw it" 

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
I had a Varsity  head coach week 1 tell me he didn't understand the three options on a free kick out of bounds. I explained it three different times because we had that happen three kicks in a row. He then said to me I don't quite understand these high school rules.  :!# ???

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
I had a Varsity  head coach week 1 tell me he didn't understand the three options on a free kick out of bounds. I explained it three different times because we had that happen three kicks in a row. He then said to me I don't quite understand these high school rules.  :!# ???

Had a similar situation myself. Onside kick went out of bounds at the 45. I turned to my coach and gave him options - "You can take it at the spot, looks to be about the 45, or you can back 'em up 5 and rekick." The coach says we'll take it at the spot. As we are setting up the chains and setting the ball he goes, "Wait don't I get any yardage with that?"

Offline brettdj

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
NCAA
Coach says "They can't punt the ball from that formation.  They need to be in a scrimmage kick formation.  He has to be at least 7 yards back to punt the ball"

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
This occurred sometime last century, but it drew a chuckle from me then and may draw one from you now:

(1) Punter fields low snap with knee CLOSE to the ground; (2) R's coach begins to scream : "HIS KNEE WAS ON THE GROUND >:(, HIS KNEE WAS ON THE GROUND >:(..." ; (3) R1 returns punt for TD; (4) As I signal ^good, I see the coach, nearer the goal line than his team box, now yelling : "I was wrong nAnA, I was wrong nAnA." (5) I was laughing LOL too hard to  ^flag flag him ;D....and the band played on.....