Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: UFL
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 15, 2024, 11:08:00 AM »
...unless Law and Order reruns is on an other channel . yEs:

That would be Magnum, P.I. and Hawaii 5-0 for me (old and new). So many places I've been that show up in those shows. Airport. Kalakaua Avenue. Punch Bowl memorial. Natatorium.  Waikiki shell at Kapiolani Park. Diamond head almost always in the background. Iolani Palace (imaginary 5-0 headquarters). Even the old Aloha Stadium (being demolished, now - sad).

Sorry, but, IMHO, UFL football is bad. 
« Last post by Ralph Damren on April 15, 2024, 10:18:03 AM »
It appears that the teams have their own venues (not a 'common' stadium for all games).
Don't pay attention to the stands, so I can't offer info on attendance, or spectator placement.
The hats? I don't recall seeing the back of their heads long enough and closely enough to tell.
Yeah, they have drones. Can't wait until one falls out of the sky and hits a star player and slices his arm open. They'll wrap it up and tell him to get back in there!

While I don't want to see anyone in any sport to get hurt,  I would enjoy seeing a forward pass striking a drone. Would it be like a baseball striking the roof of a dome stadium ?  ??? Where the ball remains in play and can be caught ?  ??? Or would it be like an inadvertent whistle like when a dawg comes on the field and bites the ball ??  ??? ??? . My guess is that it would just be an incomplete pass.  :-\  This alone might drive me to watch a game...unless Law and Order reruns is on an other channel . yEs:
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 15, 2024, 08:26:41 AM »
BUT...'tis still football  :P. . I heard last year that the players got min. $600 per game BUT needed to stay in a USFL hotel @ $75/per night. That doesn't leave much for the players. If the players get little probably the officials get even less. I assume most of what we see are those that love the game and are chasing a dream.

I love football, but the Celtics are the best in the NBA  ;D, the Bruins near the top in NHL  :), and the Red Sox begining what appears to ba a very long season  :( . Outside, I worked my season-opening baseball game on last Saturday....I'm 78 and the base ump was 76. We both lived to tell about it  ;).  All sports are in dire need of new/young officials.

Unanswered USFL questions:

(1) Are all games played in one city with teams baring far-away city names ?  ???
(2) Do all of the fans sit in the first rows on the same side of the stadiums ?  ???
(3)  Do the officials still wear adjustable hats ?  ???
(4) Do drones still fly thru pass patterns w/camaramen in both backfields ?   ???

If the answer to at least one of the above in 'NO' , I'll try to watch at least on game...after all it's still FOOTBALL tR:oLl

It appears that the teams have their own venues (not a 'common' stadium for all games).
Don't pay attention to the stands, so I can't offer info on attendance, or spectator placement.
The hats? I don't recall seeing the back of their heads long enough and closely enough to tell.
Yeah, they have drones. Can't wait until one falls out of the sky and hits a star player and slices his arm open. They'll wrap it up and tell him to get back in there!
« Last post by Ralph Damren on April 15, 2024, 08:10:02 AM »
BUT...'tis still football  :P. . I heard last year that the players got min. $600 per game BUT needed to stay in a USFL hotel @ $75/per night. That doesn't leave much for the players. If the players get little probably the officials get even less. I assume most of what we see are those that love the game and are chasing a dream.

I love football, but the Celtics are the best in the NBA  ;D, the Bruins near the top in NHL  :), and the Red Sox begining what appears to ba a very long season  :( . Outside, I worked my season-opening baseball game on last Saturday....I'm 78 and the base ump was 76. We both lived to tell about it  ;).  All sports are in dire need of new/young officials.

Unanswered USFL questions:

(1) Are all games played in one city with teams baring far-away city names ?  ???
(2) Do all of the fans sit in the first rows on the same side of the stadiums ?  ???
(3)  Do the officials still wear adjustable hats ?  ???
(4) Do drones still fly thru pass patterns w/camaramen in both backfields ?   ???

If the answer to at least one of the above in 'NO' , I'll try to watch at least on game...after all it's still FOOTBALL tR:oLl
General Discussion / UFL
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 14, 2024, 03:55:34 PM »
I tune into the UFL games just because it is football, and to watch the officials. In the past, with USFL and XFL, I used to know a handful. But, now, I have only met one of them. I wish them all the best.
But, is it just me? Or is the quality of play really just not very good? Every time I tune in, the first play I see is a ‘sack,’ or a BC getting tackled for a loss. Strikes me as being really bad football.

What do you guys see?
NCAA Discussion / Re: Questions of the Day
« Last post by dammitbobby on April 12, 2024, 03:17:30 PM »
Ah - simple error. Should be on the RFP signal. Was multitasking when I wrote out the answers and got distracted.
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 12, 2024, 02:39:05 PM »
2/8, A-42, 3:30 (1), A=7, B=0. A12, directly behind the snapper, receives the backward pass snap at the A-37 and looks downfield for his target receiver, A88. A88 is closely guarded, forcing A12 to look for a different receiver. B55 gets around A77 and approaches A12 (who has not moved laterally from the spot where he received the snap). Just as A12 starts to move his throwing arm to throw the ball, B55 lunges and grabs A12 by the jersey, just above the back nameplate, and pulls downward. The pulling action causes A12’s left knee to buckle, and A12 stumbles backward, falling, but catches himself with his free hand, preventing him from falling to the ground. A12 attempts to advance, but is then surrounded by other players of Team B, and is tackled and downed at the A-40 (with the ball being declared dead).
Ruling:

Result of the play is a sack by B at the A-40. B55 commits a horse collar tackle foul (change this year – no more exception that allows HCT in the tackle box.) Even though he did not pull him to the ground, he still buckled his leg. Foul is enforced 15 yards from the previous spot with automatic first down, so A 1/10 at the B43, GC/snap, PC/25.
Why do you say game clock on the snap?

3/10, B-35, 2:05 (2), A=10, B=10.  Team A has two times-out available. A12 receives a direct hand-to-hand snap, and moves to his right. At the B-38, A12 throws a legal forward pass toward end A88, who catches the ball and is immediately tackled and downed, with the ball being declared dead inbounds at the B-26. At the moment the ball became dead, the game clock read 1:55. A12 is attempting to get the Referee’s attention to request a charged team time out. When the game clock is stopped, it reads 1:50.
Ruling:

Result of the play is a legal forward pass caught by A88 at the B-26. Under the proposed rule to implement a 2-minute warning timeout, the clock stops at the end of any play where the running game clock passes the 2:00 mark. The clock should be reset to 1:55, and A will not be charged a timeout charged with a timeout. A 4/1 at B26, GC/snap, PC/25.
« Last post by dammitbobby on April 12, 2024, 01:10:48 PM »
2/8, A-42, 3:30 (1), A=7, B=0. A12, directly behind the snapper, receives the backward pass snap at the A-37 and looks downfield for his target receiver, A88. A88 is closely guarded, forcing A12 to look for a different receiver. B55 gets around A77 and approaches A12 (who has not moved laterally from the spot where he received the snap). Just as A12 starts to move his throwing arm to throw the ball, B55 lunges and grabs A12 by the jersey, just above the back nameplate, and pulls downward. The pulling action causes A12’s left knee to buckle, and A12 stumbles backward, falling, but catches himself with his free hand, preventing him from falling to the ground. A12 attempts to advance, but is then surrounded by other players of Team B, and is tackled and downed at the A-40 (with the ball being declared dead).
Ruling:

Result of the play is a sack by B at the A-40. B55 commits a horse collar tackle foul (change this year – no more exception that allows HCT in the tackle box.) Even though he did not pull him to the ground, he still buckled his leg. Foul is enforced 15 yards from the previous spot with automatic first down, so A 1/10 at the B43, GC/snap, PC/25.

3/10, B-35, 2:05 (2), A=10, B=10.  Team A has two times-out available. A12 receives a direct hand-to-hand snap, and moves to his right. At the B-38, A12 throws a legal forward pass toward end A88, who catches the ball and is immediately tackled and downed, with the ball being declared dead inbounds at the B-26. At the moment the ball became dead, the game clock read 1:55. A12 is attempting to get the Referee’s attention to request a charged team time out. When the game clock is stopped, it reads 1:50.
Ruling:

Result of the play is a legal forward pass caught by A88 at the B-26. Under the proposed rule to implement a 2-minute warning timeout, the clock stops at the end of any play where the running game clock passes the 2:00 mark. The clock should be reset to 1:55, and A will not be charged a timeout charged with a timeout. A 4/1 at B26, GC/snap, PC/25.

NCAA Discussion / Questions of the Day
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 12, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »
Try these (based on what we know of 2024 rule changes):

Ruling:

Ruling:
NCAA Discussion / Re: Timeline to becoming a Div 1 ref
« Last post by ilyazhito on April 12, 2024, 07:22:12 AM »
I'm probably in a similar boat. I work JUCO and D3, and I'm looking to get picked up full-time at the D3 and/or D2 levels. I've been trying out for one assigner for the last 3 years, but I haven't got the call yet. I'll have 2 other tryouts next week, one for a guy who assigns both D2 and D3, and one for the CIAA. I've been calling HS football since 2015, college since 2019. It's good to know that it is a long process and can sometimes take a long time. I'm wondering if I should try out for ODAC, but then travel might be brutal if I have to also do USA South.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10