Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: Questions of the Day
« Last post by dammitbobby on April 12, 2024, 01:10:48 PM »
2/8, A-42, 3:30 (1), A=7, B=0. A12, directly behind the snapper, receives the backward pass snap at the A-37 and looks downfield for his target receiver, A88. A88 is closely guarded, forcing A12 to look for a different receiver. B55 gets around A77 and approaches A12 (who has not moved laterally from the spot where he received the snap). Just as A12 starts to move his throwing arm to throw the ball, B55 lunges and grabs A12 by the jersey, just above the back nameplate, and pulls downward. The pulling action causes A12’s left knee to buckle, and A12 stumbles backward, falling, but catches himself with his free hand, preventing him from falling to the ground. A12 attempts to advance, but is then surrounded by other players of Team B, and is tackled and downed at the A-40 (with the ball being declared dead).
Ruling:

Result of the play is a sack by B at the A-40. B55 commits a horse collar tackle foul (change this year – no more exception that allows HCT in the tackle box.) Even though he did not pull him to the ground, he still buckled his leg. Foul is enforced 15 yards from the previous spot with automatic first down, so A 1/10 at the B43, GC/snap, PC/25.

3/10, B-35, 2:05 (2), A=10, B=10.  Team A has two times-out available. A12 receives a direct hand-to-hand snap, and moves to his right. At the B-38, A12 throws a legal forward pass toward end A88, who catches the ball and is immediately tackled and downed, with the ball being declared dead inbounds at the B-26. At the moment the ball became dead, the game clock read 1:55. A12 is attempting to get the Referee’s attention to request a charged team time out. When the game clock is stopped, it reads 1:50.
Ruling:

Result of the play is a legal forward pass caught by A88 at the B-26. Under the proposed rule to implement a 2-minute warning timeout, the clock stops at the end of any play where the running game clock passes the 2:00 mark. The clock should be reset to 1:55, and A will not be charged a timeout charged with a timeout. A 4/1 at B26, GC/snap, PC/25.

NCAA Discussion / Questions of the Day
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 12, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »
Try these (based on what we know of 2024 rule changes):

2/8, A-42, 3:30 (1), A=7, B=0. A12, directly behind the snapper, receives the backward pass snap at the A-37 and looks downfield for his target receiver, A88. A88 is closely guarded, forcing A12 to look for a different receiver. B55 gets around A77 and approaches A12 (who has not moved laterally from the spot where he received the snap). Just as A12 starts to move his throwing arm to throw the ball, B55 lunges and grabs A12 by the jersey, just above the back nameplate, and pulls downward. The pulling action causes A12’s left knee to buckle, and A12 stumbles backward, falling, but catches himself with his free hand, preventing him from falling to the ground. A12 attempts to advance, but is then surrounded by other players of Team B, and is tackled and downed at the A-40 (with the ball being declared dead).
Ruling:

3/10, B-35, 2:05 (2), A=10, B=10.  Team A has two times-out available. A12 receives a direct hand-to-hand snap, and moves to his right. At the B-38, A12 throws a legal forward pass toward end A88, who catches the ball and is immediately tackled and downed, with the ball being declared dead inbounds at the B-26. At the moment the ball became dead, the game clock read 1:55. A12 is attempting to get the Referee’s attention to request a charged team time out. When the game clock is stopped, it reads 1:50.
Ruling:
NCAA Discussion / Re: Timeline to becoming a Div 1 ref
« Last post by ilyazhito on April 12, 2024, 07:22:12 AM »
I'm probably in a similar boat. I work JUCO and D3, and I'm looking to get picked up full-time at the D3 and/or D2 levels. I've been trying out for one assigner for the last 3 years, but I haven't got the call yet. I'll have 2 other tryouts next week, one for a guy who assigns both D2 and D3, and one for the CIAA. I've been calling HS football since 2015, college since 2019. It's good to know that it is a long process and can sometimes take a long time. I'm wondering if I should try out for ODAC, but then travel might be brutal if I have to also do USA South.
General Discussion / Re: They just don't give up, do they...
« Last post by Grant - AR on April 11, 2024, 04:49:46 PM »
That one got in somehow.

You should see some of the ones that don’t get in. Grant set the system so they must register and be approved, I reject around 20 a day and likely the other admins do the same.

I've been rejecting several each day, but I think you get the majority because you typically check it earlier than I do each morning. 

If I can get some time, I'm going to look through the software modifications to see if there's a spam filter somewhere.  There used to be one, but it was taken down.  Hopefully we aren't the only ones seeing these and someone has created a new mod to take care of it.
General Discussion / Re: They just don't give up, do they...
« Last post by Etref on April 11, 2024, 04:38:34 PM »
That one got in somehow.

You should see some of the ones that don’t get in. Grant set the system so they must register and be approved, I reject around 20 a day and likely the other admins do the same.
General Discussion / They just don't give up, do they...
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 11, 2024, 04:04:57 PM »
RoscoeWhads

Now there's a likely real name, eh? Geez.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Rogers Redding
« Last post by JDM on April 11, 2024, 12:20:52 PM »
Such sad news, indeed. Rogers was instrumental in helping me understand the rules. In 1997, as a 6th year official, I learned about the Redding Study Guide and have purchased a copy every year since. I also enjoyed hearing him speak at various clinics. He leaves an indelible mark on college football officiating.

Condolences to his family.

https://www.curriejefferson.com/obituaries/rogers-redding
Non-Officiating Discussion / Re: What to do/watch/read after football.....
« Last post by Ralph Damren on April 11, 2024, 08:46:42 AM »
A movie "Lost on a Mountain in Maine" is scheduled to be released this summer and available thru streaming services. Should be a good watch.
                                             tiphat:
NCAA Discussion / Re: Case Plays
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 10, 2024, 03:26:55 PM »
Mountain West, Big12 put out pre season tests in the past. 100 questions at a time. That’s what I looking for. Practice tests.

Ah. Can’t help you there, right now. Normally, Shaw, et al, wait until after the PROP has voted on the rule changes to prepare exams, to include questions related to the approved changes. But I’ll be on the lookout, now that I know what you are looking for.

But, since I’m sure they will approve two specific changes, how about these:

Ruling:

Ruling:

Note: Edited the second item to be as I had intended it, with the ball becoming dead one-yard SHORT of a first down. Sorry. Degree in Architecture, not math... :)
NCAA Discussion / Re: Case Plays
« Last post by bricord on April 10, 2024, 11:58:46 AM »
Mountain West, Big12 put out pre season tests in the past. 100 questions at a time. That’s what I looking for. Practice tests.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10