Author Topic: Scrimmage Kick Help  (Read 1394 times)

Online sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Scrimmage Kick Help
« on: June 13, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »
Rule 6-5-1 states that any receiver may signal for a fair catch while any legal kick is in flight. My question is, Can R legally signal for a fair catch behind the NZ? If so or if not what are the ramifications of this action? Can he be contacted, is he afforded protection can he block before the kick ends and so forth?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Scrimmage Kick Help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Keep reading on down the page.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
NO FC behind the LOS. I had a coach run this potential trick play by me one year. He had a player whose sole talent was kicking the ball straight up in the air. To utilize that, he proposed this....

(1) Kicker would kick the ball straight up;
(2) blocking back would start signaling and yelling : "FAIR CATCH, FAIR CATCH....";
(3)upon catching the ball he would then say : "Let me give the ball to the ref for spotting.." and head toward BJ;
(4) once in enemy territory he would head for paydirt.  ^good

My response was : "He would do well in the drama club, but not on the football field.  While it's not a legal fair catch and there's no rule restricting an illegal/invalid fair catch against K, 9-9-1 allows us to enforce this as an unfair act. I'll instruct our guys to shut down the play and enforce the 15 yard USC as a dead ball. Giving the receivers the ball 15 yards from the spot of the 'unfair fair catch'. Coach, if you were the opponents, would you consider this GOOD football  ::) ? "

Coach answered : "Ayuh, 'spect not."   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: (5- man crew)...

....AND THE BAND PLAYED ON...

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:20:05 AM »
R may signal behind the LOS and you will stop play when he recovers or catches the kick. However, you will not award a Free Kick Down or allow R to spot the ball anywhere between the inbounds marks (hash marks) if this were to happen.