Author Topic: 2016 quiz question  (Read 2284 times)

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
2016 quiz question
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:20 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed by then, I can't remember and I can't understand the answer to Question 1 of Bi-week quiz 3 of 2016

Fourth and 10 at the A-5. B77 blocks the punt and the ball bounces into Team A’s end zone. A21 bats the ball from the end zone into the field of play and it goes out of bounds at the A-6.
a. Safety. No option.
b. First and goal for Team B at the A-6.
c. First and goal for Team B at the A-3. [right answer]
d. If the penalty is accepted fourth down must be repeated.
e. None of the above.

REFERENCE: 9-4-1
COMMENTS: The foul is in the end zone but enforcement is at the spot of the foul. The penalty includes loss of down since the kick did not cross the neutral zone.

I'm reading 9-4-1 and it says 10 yards + loss of down. No enforcement spot. I would go safety here and that's why I'm not getting the answer. So we go 3-and-1. Basic spot is previous spot (A-10). Spot of the foul is end zone. How does the ball ends up at A-3?
How is the foul enforced from the succeding spot?

And what does "foul is in the end zone but enforcement is at the spot of the foul" mean?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:26:08 AM by dvasques »

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
Re: 2016 quiz question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
The basic enforcement for a foulthis foul in Team A's end zone before a COP is indeed a safety. Team B could indeed elect to have this penalty enforced the normal way and take two points.

However, the test question's answer a. says "Safety. No option." And that is false for two reasons. First, the result of the play is not a safety so team B could decline it and get the ball.

Second, they don't even have to decline it to get the ball: This is a foul by A during a kick that crosses the NZ. (The kick only crosses the NZ thanks to A's bat, but it's still a kick.) So team B can tack on the yardage from the spot where the dead ball belongs to B.

Therefore, they can have half the distance from the B-6, first and goal for them. That makes c. the right answer. (But if c. had said "no option" then it would also be false.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:20:26 AM by Morningrise »

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:08:07 PM »
Adding on to the well described answer, if the ball goes OOB at the B4, we have a different enforcement and decline would be an obvious option (unless down by more than 1 or 8 points

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »
and now I'm trying to figure out why did I have in my mind that snap was from A-10...

sorry, guys, I even thought about 6-3-13 here but I had snap from A-10 in mind, which meant the kick never crossed the neutral zone

my bad