Author Topic: Vince McMahon quietly bringing back the XFL  (Read 3802 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Vince McMahon quietly bringing back the XFL
« on: December 22, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
Re: Vince McMahon quietly bringing back the XFL
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
Is "he hate me" to old to play?...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 06:22:36 PM »
The quality of play was horrid.  The on-field cameramen were distracting and annoying.  The circus nature of the game, the idiots changing their names for the attention and shock value, the moronic mad dash for the ball in lieu of a coin toss, etc., created a product that was doomed to fail.  And, I’m pretty sure there were issues with payments.
A great man I worked with on the field before he retired, worked as an Umpire (post-retirement) in that league, as a lark, I think.  He sent my son and me a game-used football from one of the two playoff games.

Vince should just buy a real team.

Robert

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 10:10:35 PM »
I was 6 in 2001 and as such I don't have any memory of the original XFL. But I think that it could succeed today as a spring-summer league like the USFL did before Trump’s ill-fated 1986 lawsuit for a few reasons.

If it didn’t have the gimmicky rules like the opening scramble and no PAT kicks but did promise the same level of violence like it did in 2001, it’ll be a hit (no pun intended). I think most football fans still want plenty of big hits and blow ups and simply settle for the product currently put on the field because there’s no alternative. In that sense the XFL was well before its time in 2001, as mainstream football was still plenty violent.

That being said, all it would take legally would be to have the players sign a release and hold harmless agreement before taking the field.

TL;DR, play by NCAA rules but without all the defenseless player stuff, don’t hire strippers to be cheerleaders, and present a normal football game with plenty of violence and it’ll be a success because that’s what the market secretly wants.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
but did promise the same level of violence like it did in 2001, it’ll be a hit (no pun intended). I think most football fans still want plenty of big hits and blow ups  In that sense the XFL was well before its time in 2001, as mainstream football was still plenty violent.

That being said, all it would take legally would be to have the players sign a release and hold harmless agreement before taking the field.

rules but without all the defenseless player stuff, present a normal football game with plenty of violence and it’ll be a success because that’s what the market secretly wants.

Why go halfway?  We could dig out a much older set of rules, which were immensely popular a lot longer ago, and you wouldn't have to bother with all that "player release" nonsense.  Despite not having ANY TV coverage or Jumbo - trons, the "players" were extremely popular, although many had really short careers.

A game that depends on satisfying the ever increasing lust for MORE violence.  Amazing, what goes around will eventually come back around, even if it takes a couple of thousand years.  With today's technology, I'll wager we could make the Gladiatorial Games even more popular than they were in Rome (which even had a successful International Division, although it was Provincial)

Then again, maybe unchecked brutality and violence, endlessly progressive grandstanding, posturing and trash talking is really not what Football is all about, and the pendulum will eventually start to swing back.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:05:58 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
The quality of play was horrid.  The on-field cameramen were distracting and annoying.  The circus nature of the game, the idiots changing their names for the attention and shock value, the moronic mad dash for the ball in lieu of a coin toss, etc., created a product that was doomed to fail.  And, I’m pretty sure there were issues with payments.
A great man I worked with on the field before he retired, worked as an Umpire (post-retirement) in that league, as a lark, I think.  He sent my son and me a game-used football from one of the two playoff games.

Robert

Not to defend the xfl, but...

1-if i'm not mistaken, most every player was d1.
2-if i'm not mistaken the 'camera guy on the field' is now the 'camera on a cable'. (thanks to technology)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:20:41 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Vince McMahon quietly bringing back the XFL
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
That would be interesting...

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
I hear all this is designed for him to raise the funds to buy the Panthers