Author Topic: Forward Progress Spot when Runner Out of Bounds  (Read 2061 times)

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Forward Progress Spot when Runner Out of Bounds
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
The line to gain is A's 40 yard line, the runner is advancing and heading right toward the forward stake. He moving toward the right sideline and has the ball in his right hand. The ball in his hand crosses the sideline at the 39.5 but the runner doesn't step on the sideline until the 40. At that point to ball is held at the 40.5.

Should that be a first down or not??

I believe the NCAA rule book clearly states that the progress spot would be where the ball is when the runner touches out of bounds, so first down. Does anyone think the NFHS rule is different? The rule I am questioning is 4-3-3, "...at the time the runner crosses the plane of the sideline."

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: Forward Progress Spot when Runner Out of Bounds
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
FIRST DOWN :thumbup yEs:

Martin Kiff

Re: Forward Progress Spot when Runner Out of Bounds
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
I learned it this way.  If the runner is running out of bounds spot the ball at where he stepped OB.  If he is diving or sliding spot the ball as close as possible to where it is when the runner is down. ....  "Sorry Coach, I know the line to gain was the 30 yard line and he stepped just beyond the 30 but I had the ball going OB at the 29 3/4."  Who wants that argument?  We extend the goal line so we never have that argument.  There is a reason we get to the goal line and there is a reason we trail a play.   It's called the same for both teams so this never should be an issue.  Remember, there are officials who want to do absolutely everything by the book.  Those are the guys who call "Delay of Game" against a team down by 30.  Are they correct? Yes.  Do I want to work with you? A big fat Noooo....   Game awareness