Author Topic: First 7-man game  (Read 5888 times)

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
First 7-man game
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
Hi guys, looking for a little bit of guidance.

I've been tapped to fill in for a JV game at one of the local colleges.  I've worked a little spring ball and some scrimmages but this will be my first "real" game using 7 man mechanics and NCAA rules.  I've been assigned to be the FJ.

Asking about rules and mechanics differences is too big a topic and I'm sure those have been covered elsewhere.  I've been studying both the rule book and mechanics guide pretty heavily.

My question is, what is the one single most important sagely nugget (key rule difference, mechanics change, philosophy, or other intangible)  would you give me (preferably something targeted at working the deep wing) for my first game in this new setting?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: First 7-man game
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
I'd post this on the NCAA board.  You'll probably have more guys there with 7 man experience.

My only experience was last year in the HS state semi's and final.  From just an overall crew situation, it felt a little awkward not having really practiced it.  We only had two guys-the R and the FJ- with any 7 man experience and they are both NCAA D1 officials.  I stepped in at HL in some college spring scrimmages many years ago, not enough to really have any real experience.

Offline SD_Casey

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
I'd post this on the NCAA board.

Whoops.  My intent was to post it there!

Moderator: Thank you for moving my post.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:17 AM »
I work quite a few 7-man games, but mostly up close to the ball.

My pieces of advice though is keep the reverse mechanics in mind, and talk to your LJ about eye contact and who will look at feet/hands first and how you will signal to each other.

Offline VA-Ump

• <><
  • FAN REACTION: +25/-10
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
Don't get beat deep.  Always keep your cushion
You should not have forward progress on non-kick play unless its inside the 2.  Always give ground.
Reverse mechanics on turnovers... now you do have forward progress.
Communciate with the L a lot. ESPECIALLY inside the 20.  On every play talk about who has the GL
Watch you key (widest to your side most likely) until he is no longer a threat to foul or be fouled. 
If you have ball people, you should shuttle in a new ball if the run ends outside the numbers

Oh... and don't get beat deep.
Goodness is the enemy of Greatness

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?... John Wooden

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
Having done quite a lot of (5-man) reviewing this year, I'd agree with VA-Ump: Do Not Get Beat Deep. You can be forgiven almost anything else.

Offline James

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:48:13 AM »
If you have ball people, you should shuttle in a new ball if the run ends outside the numbers

You have the deep guys bring in the ball? We have the ball come in from the front, and out from the back (relaying the incomplete pass)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
Deep wing - you got it easy!  (haha I always rib the deep guys).

I work HL/LJ, but here are a few tips I see new guys mess up:

--NEVER get a spot unless it's inside the 2 yard line.  Looks bad when you're coming against the grain and overlapping the LJ.  If it's a long pass, yell the yard line to the wing guy.
--You have the widest receiver only the whole game.  Stay with him a little longer and don't go to zone too quick.
--Kicks are NOT dead when they break the plane.  Read 6-11 (I think that's the one).
--As FJ you are responsible for ball exchange.  I assume for college you are doing ball exchange the right way (4 balls on your side and 2 balls on HL/SJ side).  Every change of possession comes from your side, so be alert to that.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
You have the deep guys bring in the ball? We have the ball come in from the front, and out from the back (relaying the incomplete pass)

On run plays outside the numbers, the LOS will place the ball at the spot and the DW will get a ball (after dead ball officaiting, and dead ball officiating again) and relay to U.

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
--You have the widest receiver only the whole game.  Stay with him a little longer and don't go to zone too quick.

To add on and clarify for the OP.  Widest man not in motion on your side.   

Offline SD_Casey

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »
Thanks everybody for your advice.  I am grateful to you all for taking the time to help me.  Had my game tonight.  Ended up in double overtime.  Here's a quick update for those interested how it went.

The Good:
-Made a perfect call on one of those TD pass in the side of the end zone plays.  Receiver went to ground OOB. Foot IB,  Ball,  no bobble,  signal #5. Highlight of my night.
-was complimented by referee for coming in and helping BJ sell a tight incompletion call.
-No IW! (Always my worst fear)
-Receiver broke a big run,  I was waiting for him at the goal line.

The Bad:
-Punt OOB right in front of me. Thought Referee would spot me.  He must have thought it was an easy one because I looked downfield and he had already moved on.  I guessed it +/- 2 yds or so.
-on the first drive I was so focused on staying deep that I ended up backpedalling  6 yards into the end zone on a pass (incomplete,  other side of the field).

The Ugly:
-Struggled with ball relay.  That was something new for me.  LJ bailed me out.
- after a time out,  I somehow got it in my head it was end of the quarter.  I lined up on the wrong side of the ball and had to do a 4.4 40 to get in position before the snap.

Thanks again guys,
Casey

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »
The Bad:
-Punt OOB right in front of me. Thought Referee would spot me.  He must have thought it was an easy one because I looked downfield and he had already moved on.  I guessed it +/- 2 yds or so.

I always have a yard line on mind before I look to the R.  That way if he is no help, then I am stopping at a predetermined spot.  DW have balls that land in the field of play or white, theoretically the R will have balls that land outside the white, but I don’t think they remember this much since they are mostly concerned with the kicker.

-on the first drive I was so focused on staying deep that I ended up backpedalling  6 yards into the end zone on a pass (incomplete,  other side of the field).

That will happen.  We start 24 deep as DW and when the receiver breaks a 10 yard cushion we start to move.  If the play is going to break, we are told to turn and run looking back over our shoulder, this will led to passing the GL a few times.

Offline James

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:36 AM »
Funny - Above in the thread I gave some advice, but stated that I worked close to the ball.

Now I have a few games coming up where I'm slotted in as SJ - So the first thing I did was come back to see what others had written.
This forum is such a good tool! Lets just hope I can translate it into not making a fool of myself.