Author Topic: R Mechanic  (Read 6562 times)

tow

R Mechanic
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

On passing plays with a more than one step drop,we have the R rule if it was forward or backwards pass. On plays at line or a one step drop,wings rule. Had and play where it was deep drop,and throw goes to far right sideline,with a right handed QB, R is lined up on throwing arm side. In order to see the direction of pass R has to look away briefly from QB to rule forward or backward,when R checks back to QB,contact going on but don't know if it is roughing or not,didn't see start of contact. How do others handle this situation? Thanks

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: R Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
Unless you see the entire play, it's not roughing.  But, I don't see how a quick glance at the pass would prevent the R from making the call.  You just have to do what you can do.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »
If a defender is that close you have to defer to the wing official.  You must take care of the QB, especially is contact is that close.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
Better to default to "forward pass" than to default to "no call on the roughing".  The safty call is bigger than the forward/backward call.  If necessary get help on the pass.  If no help is available, forward pass, incomplete if dropped.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »
If no help is available, forward pass, incomplete if dropped.

And if caught, your ruling of forward or backward is meaningless to everyone except the Official Scorer.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
And if caught, your ruling of forward or backward is meaningless to everyone except the Official Scorer.
Official Scorers. - pfft
Who cares about them, really?

;)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
The Canadian mechanic, which may be of use here, is that the sides have a significant role to play, here.  If it's close, we'd rather a few seconds of no-call/no whistle, than an inadvertant.

It depends greatly on the crew size, however. On seven-man, the R will line on the Q's throwing arm.
Otherwise, the R lines up on wide side (generally). On our four- and five-man crews, the wide-side official remains locked to the LOS until the ball crosses the LOS, and he/she is to rule onscreen attempts behind/over LOS, and suchlike. That individual may be able to assist the R on ruling a forward pass/loose ball.

This instance shows why it's important for the R to have a reasonable cushion. The further back the R is, the more the R sees.

I've been taught that in order to rule on those close-call passes in those situations, the R should move forward, so as to better get a sense of the line between origin of pass and termination point. To me, this does not necessarily prevent protecting the Q.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »
Official Scorers. - pfft
Who cares about them, really?

;)

Well, I do agree that the on field officials SHOULDN'T care.

But believe me, that is one call from which I get grief from the press, the QB coach, and often, the QB's mother!

And I don't really care what any of them think!

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
But believe me, that is one call from which I get grief from the press, the QB coach, and often, the QB's mother!

If the QB's mother is a MILF, it's always forward!    pHiNzuP

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
If the QB's mother is a MILF, it's always forward!    pHiNzuP
yEs:+1
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi