Author Topic: Rule changes are here  (Read 20141 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Rule changes are here
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
Isn't this just an offshoot of the no-huddle offense with the intent of catching the defense flat-footed. IMHO, 9-4-6d is intended to prevent a team from sneaking a player in or out of the game to confuse the opponents as to who's in/out.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Rule changes are here
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
Agree with all responses. I’m not in favor of using the deception argument every time we run into a difficult situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
Was changing the definition of the inbounds/out-of-bounds status of an airborne player even considered for possible 2018 rule change?

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
Maybe I'm in a weird area, but most high schools around me don't have enough players to really have dedicated punt/punt coverage teams. They might have a special returner (maybe a WR/PR, so he's not on defense), but they don't make wholesale changes like the video. I think around here, the matchup substitution rule would be seen as a solution in search of a problem or "Hey, they do that on Saturday/Sunday, so we should do it too!"

Exactly.

Offline NCVAReferee

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 05:54:12 AM »
1-5-4, 1-5-5, 3-5-10e (NEW) 3-6-2, 9-9: Improperly equipped player shall be replaced for at least one down.

What will this mean for players with pads hanging out of jerseys or jerseys untucked?  In NC the interpretation has been that this constitutes illegal equipment. 

Also, the literal reading of this change implies that if equipment becomes illegal during the down (ie. pads pop out), then they would need to be replaced for a down?

Offline NCVAReferee

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »
Let me clarify, I meant to say this constitutes improperly wearing required equipment.  With that reading it would seem this rule change would not be applicable to the scenario I presented now that I think about it, but what do you think? 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »
With our new rule we have 3 possibilities.....

(1) Big ole' Bubba waddles up to the line with his chin strap dangling = officials' time out - Bubba must leave for 1 play.

(2) Big ole' Bubba waddles up to line without a tail-pad = officials' time out -Bubba must leave for one play.

(3) Big ole' Bubba waddles up to the line with a razor blade taped to his belt buckle = officials' time out, head coach hit with  ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag (5-man crew) for USC.

Unlike other levels, a team can't burn a timeout to get Bubba back in the game. Sorta' like a player losing his helmet. Case plays will help clarify.