Author Topic: 2012 POE's are up on The Arbiter  (Read 9338 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
2012 POE's are up on The Arbiter
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
I assume you have to be an NF member to read the link:
http://nfhs-football.arbitersports.com/Groups/105409/Library/files/2012%20NFHS%20Football%20POINTS%20OF%20EMPHASIS%20-.pdf

I'll attach it too. (I hope)

My ability to access the NFHS publications links on the NF home page has ended.  Some were cut off a year or more ago but a few folks, including me, still had the ability.  When I tried last weekend poof.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 2012 POE's are up on The Arbiter
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
While I am a NF member, it is as a coach, and I have no access to anything through Arbiter.

But your link worked perfectly, thank you.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
NC - thx.

not to  deadhorse:  but we allegedly aren't supposed to post NF Rules Books, right? - so is NC potentially in harm's way with NFHS in posting this?
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of putting this out for us to review...

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »
Don't think so.  I post a link, not the actual transcription.  They have and have had the ability to secure those pdf file links to members only.  If they are open sourced, then I'm merely giving you the directions to find it on your own.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this being here. 
Just making sure NF isn't going to be  >:( with you...

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
Well then I want my $35 back first >:D

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
Thanks, HLinNC- being from a state that no longer pays for our NF memberships, it is nice to have access to this PDF.

And wow, what a long list for this year.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:25 AM »
It appears I hit the trifecta! IHC, Adornments and Hurdling! QB quicksnap added for good measure!!!

I guesss I need to keep on squeaking!

http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2010/08/squeaky-wheels-get-grease-sometimes.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:24:02 AM by bigjohn »

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
NC - thx.

not to  deadhorse:  but we allegedly aren't supposed to post NF Rules Books, right? - so is NC potentially in harm's way with NFHS in posting this?
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of putting this out for us to review...

Steve, they're listed with other press releases on the NFHS football webpage.

http://www.nfhs.org/category.aspx?taxid=133

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
It appears I hit the trifecta! IHC, Adornments and Hurdling! QB quicksnap added for good measure!!!

I guesss I need to keep on squeaking!

I doubt anyone hears your squeaking.  Helmet contact has been a POE in 7 of the last 18 years.  It's nothing new.  With the added attention from the NFL, it will continue to be included annually for a while.

As for hurdling, there was a rules proposal to legalize it.  There was support for it, until a video was shown of a runner attempting to hurdle a defender.  Instead, the runner got flipped, ended up on his back in obvious pain and fumbled the ball.  The video insured the rule wouldn't be changed and would become a POE instead.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
and adornments?????

LOL!!!

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
If you truly think that adornments are listed as a POE because of you, then you probably should change your name to BigHead instead of BigJohn.

Many items are listed in the POE, not just the 1 or 2 you've discussed.  Also, helmets coming off prompted a study and a rule change as well a the portion of the POE concerning properly wearing mandatory equipment.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
I am totally serious?  ::)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »
I am totally serious?  ::)

If it makes you feel better, Thank you Big John (or whomever, whatever brought "adornments" to the level of a POE).  Despite all the complaints about poorly written, subjective rules, the NFHS rulemakers got the adornment prohibition right.  Rather than compete with the creativity of American teenagers, and a lot of immature collegiate and professional former teenagers, we have guidance that beyond a "moisture absorbing" wrist band, properly located and a specificly sized white towel, NOTHING ELSE is authorized.

Simple, direct and understandable.  There is likely an element that will always search for some previously undiscovered way to call attention to themselves.  It will likely never stop, but prevention is relatively simple; is it (whatever "it" might be), a towel, a wristband (or some of the other limited exception)?  If the answer is "no" ( which should be considered "no" followed by a period), case closed.

NFHS rules close this door, if collegiate or professional rulemakers want to open it back up, that's up to them as well as "on them".

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
A friend is a U for a NCAA conf.  He's thankful that the helmet rule is now official. - he, as U, had to keep stats for how many helmets came off on every game his crew worked last season.
The conf avg was 6 per game.

In as far as adornments, personally, adornments look like crap so I don't want to see any.  But different R come with different 'allowances' in my local assn.

My State preaches & preaches 'no adornments', yet on the local Game of the Week or on the front page in color of the Saturday Sports section, heck even State Finals game we see adornments.  Basically a frustrating deal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:07:33 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
A friend is a U for a NCAA conf.  He's thankful that the helmet rule is now official. - he, as U, had to keep stats for how many helmets came off on every game his crew worked last season.
The conf avg was 6 per game.

In the SEC, it was the job of the replay officials.  I used to keep it as well, just for kicks.  I would compare what I had with the RO after the game, and we never had the same number!  Sometimes I was higher, sometimes they were higher, which tells me the numbers that were gathered were probably understated, as everyone was missing some of them.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
In the SEC, it was the job of the replay officials.  I used to keep it as well, just for kicks.  I would compare what I had with the RO after the game, and we never had the same number!  Sometimes I was higher, sometimes they were higher, which tells me the numbers that were gathered were probably understated, as everyone was missing some of them.
This is a FCS conference where U did this.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
I really see this as a fashion trend as opposed to a real problem.
He saw an average of 6 per game? In my (shortened) season in Germany last year I saw 1 in 16 games.
Putting the new rule in and enforcing it should get the helmets strapped on correctly quite quickly.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
I really see this as a fashion trend as opposed to a real problem.
He saw an average of 6 per game? In my (shortened) season in Germany last year I saw 1 in 16 games.
Putting the new rule in and enforcing it should get the helmets strapped on correctly quite quickly.
So far this spring, I've worked 2 FCS scrimmages.  For #1, there were two helmets that came off.  For #2, none.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
So far this spring, I've worked 2 FCS scrimmages.  For #1, there were two helmets that came off.  For #2, none.
Curiuos to know... did the problem solve itself in scrimmage #2 because the crew took care of business and made them sit after the occurrences in scrimmage #1?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
Curiuos to know... did the problem solve itself in scrimmage #2 because the crew took care of business and made them sit after the occurrences in scrimmage #1?
Actually two different FCS schools, but yes, 2012 NCAA rules enforced.
scrimmage1: helmet for A comes off, stop clock, "#40 you have to leave the field for a play", #40 leaves, set & wind the 25-sec clock. - rather flawless really...