Author Topic: IP Enforcement Spot  (Read 13921 times)

younggun

IP Enforcement Spot
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:15 AM »
If anyone has seen the 2013 Aloha Clinic Videos yet the 'New Rules' video has this play in it. So, are we to throw two flags on this? and hit them with the enforcement of the flag that hurts them the most? Realisticly I can see the U throwing the first flag, OT looses helmet is looking for something to do and then bam takes off running. The R not looking at the LoS blocks becasue his QB is under duress then sees the non helmet player come into view and throws a block that allows the QB to make a play. Wont we want to get the foul that hurts them more, plus had a real impact on the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10WL7nYSA4

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: IP Enforcement Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
If anyone has seen the 2013 Aloha Clinic Videos yet the 'New Rules' video has this play in it. So, are we to throw two flags on this? and hit them with the enforcement of the flag that hurts them the most? Realisticly I can see the U throwing the first flag, OT looses helmet is looking for something to do and then bam takes off running. The R not looking at the LoS blocks becasue his QB is under duress then sees the non helmet player come into view and throws a block that allows the QB to make a play. Wont we want to get the foul that hurts them more, plus had a real impact on the play.

No, it's a foul when the helmetless player "participates" in the play.  Chasing the defender is participating.  Blocking the defender isn't a separate foul, it's a continuation of the same foul.

Sure there is judgment as to when he started "participating" without his helmet, but at that point, wherever it is judged, is the spot of the one foul that took place.

younggun

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »
Consider this,

4th Quarter :03 left in the game. 3/10 @ 50. Game is tied. A8 gets the snap and drops back to pass. At the line of scrimmage A68 looses his helmet, on his own, and takes off running into the backfield to block. A8 gets hit and fumbles. B78 picks up the ball and starts running toward the EZ. A68 catches up with him and makes the tackle at the A-3. Result?

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »

That play is an unusual situation but not two fouls just a revised spot for the impact on the play. It is a foul when you determine he has not removed himself from the play. Because he continued this act and had a direct impact further back it makes sense to adjust the location of enforcement.

This is the common sense way we are having the officials in Hawaii work the call. Because he is illegally participating the entire time we are making a judgment for the entire act. If he does not influence the play or make a block further back it reverts back to the spot where he initially actively pursued the play.

younggun

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
That play is an unusual situation but not two fouls just a revised spot for the impact on the play. It is a foul when you determine he has not removed himself from the play. Because he continued this act and had a direct impact further back it makes sense to adjust the location of enforcement.

This is the common sense way we are having the officials in Hawaii work the call. Because he is illegally participating the entire time we are making a judgment for the entire act. If he does not influence the play or make a block further back it reverts back to the spot where he initially actively pursued the play.

I agree with you on changing the spot of the foul as they did gain an advantage. What do you think about my last scenario? Just wondering.

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »
I think your play is one of the few I would award the TD unless in A's pursuit he is blocked by team B creating an offset or decline and enforce from the end of the run. Plays like these are special situations and should include a crew discussion.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:55:46 AM »
Consider this,

4th Quarter :03 left in the game. 3/10 @ 50. Game is tied. A8 gets the snap and drops back to pass. At the line of scrimmage A68 looses his helmet, on his own, and takes off running into the backfield to block. A8 gets hit and fumbles. B78 picks up the ball and starts running toward the EZ. A68 catches up with him and makes the tackle at the A-3. Result?

I believe this play is more cleanly officiated as two fouls.  It's really two separate acts. 

FWIW, I'd like to see this foul have succeeding spot enforcement --  it's no different than the USC for not wearing required equipment.

maven

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
I'm not sure succeeding spot enforcement makes sense for most instances. If the player w/o a helmet springs the runner, why would we enforce it downfield and give A the benefit of the block?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 04:39:37 AM »
I'm not sure succeeding spot enforcement makes sense for most instances. If the player w/o a helmet springs the runner, why would we enforce it downfield and give A the benefit of the block?

Good point.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »
Consider this,

IMHO, I would have multiple fouls : (1) When he first started to participate w/o hat - around the LOS ; (2) When he made the TD saving tackle @ A-3 . The obvious choice would be the A-3 flag and award B the ball & an untimed down @ A's 1 1/2. Could you enforce 9-9-1 and award a TD?? To me that would be a stretch. B could bring in Hans ( the foreign exchange student from Norway) and he become the team hero by kicking thru the pipes and ensuring him a date with the Prom Queen. aWaRd

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
I'm willing to venture there will NOT be a case play issued by the Fed that remotely approaches this scenario.
 hEaDbAnG

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »
I'm willing to venture there will NOT be a case play issued by the Fed that remotely approaches this scenario.
 hEaDbAnG
Seen the new casebook --- you ventured correctly hEaDbAnG

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
The Case Book rarely has plays that cover much of anything important. Whenever you look for a specific issue you find everything but!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
The Case Book rarely has plays that cover much of anything important. Whenever you look for a specific issue you find everything but!

REPLY: And what IS important is usually just cited as a play situation with specific fouls/situations/conditions mentioned. It leaves you wondering if the ruling applies for only that combination of fouls/situations/conditions, or does it apply to something more general. What's needed is more use of case play COMMENTS to specify the philosophical principle upon which the ruling is based.
Bob M.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »
There's a NFHS Interpreters' Teleconference on July 23rd. I feel confident that play will be discussed and will be addressed in the additional case plays that are posted on the NFHS Website in August. My suggestion is to add a comment that while most fouls occur at a definitive spot, making it easy to determine the basic spot ;the playing without a helmet foul occurs at every step the player makes. The basic spot should be that which the player participated that impacts his team the most. ^flag Any other ideas, guys???

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
The basic spot should be that which the player participated that impacts his team the most.

Creating a new Fundamental, Ralph?  I think you would be better off declaring it a previous spot enforcement on all plays, loose or run,  rather than going down that rabbit hole.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
Creating a new Fundamental, Ralph?  I think you would be better off declaring it a previous spot enforcement on all plays, loose or run,  rather than going down that rabbit hole.
A new Fundamental wouldn't be needed as F-X 3 & 5 only refers to "all-but-one" & "basic spot" but doesn't define them. Rule 10-4 or 9-6-4 would need to be tweaked to cover this, but an NFHS interp could cover the situation this year without Rule Book support with the tweak to follow at the rules meeting (it's been done before). IMHO, the table on page 84 of this year's Case Book could be expanded to include: "Player who participated without a helmet" ......."Basic spot determined by location of participation most severe to his team".
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:24:55 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »
At the NFHS Interp Teleconference, it was indicated that a helmetless player participating in several portions of the play would be considered as having committed multiple fouls. Case plays will be posted on their website soon.

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
REPLY: Ralph...I heard that from our NH buddy, and that is good news. I believe that Kevin adequately prepped Brad for that decision.
Bob M.

Offline zhntr

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
I was watching the 2013 Aloha FB Clinic New Rules video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm6wdCCw23I) and on Play 1 he has two spots for IP on one player.

Outstanding videos, btw.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »

Offline zhntr

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
Thanks. Can I delete this topic?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
No but a mod can merge it.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi