Author Topic: Plane of the goal post  (Read 4624 times)

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Plane of the goal post
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
Saw this on the SC vs NC high school all star game aired on ESPNU yesterday. Field goal hits crossbar, (not sure if it hit the upright first) bounces up and then falls into the end zone. Signaled good. I always thought the ball to go over the crossbar, not just cross the front plane. Sorry I don't have any video. Any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Plane of the goal post
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »
NF 8-4-1-c: A field goal is scored as follows;

a:
b:
c:"the licked ball shall pass between the vertical uprights or the inside of the uprights extended and above the crossbar of the opponents goal."

Presumably the covering officials were in the appropriate position to determine if that requirement was satisfied.  What happens thereafter (where the ball lands) happens to a dead ball.

Offline bjfb

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 01:07:11 AM »
I was at the game. The ball actually hit post that supports the crossbar about 3 inches behind the crossbar and bounced back into the field of play. They got it right.

Offline the clown

• FAN REACTION: +7/-19
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
Same thing happened in So California a number of years ago in a BIG playoff game.  With just the Back-judge under the posts.  The ball clears the cross bar, hits the support and bounces back into the end zone.  The BJ is looking straight up and signals no good.  Last play of the game, fans and players running on the field celebrating... Officials runoff the field.  Know one new until they watched the highlights on the news that night.  We now have two officials under the posts on all field goals no matter what the distance.

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-5
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »
To bjfb, you either have superman vision or were under one of those posts! If the later is the case let us all know what few words were said before coming up with the signal. Happy New Year and great call.

Offline bjfb

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
I wasn't under the goal post, but I was watching them when they made the call and I can tell you the wheels were turning. Like many, I thought they had missed it, but the game was played at Wofford College
and they have a nice Jumbotron. And in slo-motion you can clearly see it hit the supporting post and bounce back into the end zone. I was fortunate to work this game in 2003 and you can only have it once.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Didn't something like this occur on the last play of a NFL game a few years back ? As I recall, both teams were heading off the field during the review and needed to return for OT.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »
Didn't something like this occur on the last play of a NFL game a few years back ? As I recall, both teams were heading off the field during the review and needed to return for OT.

Baltimore/Cleveland

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Baltimore/Cleveland

I am surprised that anyone remembers anything that happened in a Baltimore/Cleveland game.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
I am surprised that anyone remembers anything that happened in a Baltimore/Cleveland game.
LOL LOL LOL
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi