Author Topic: Live ball equipment violation  (Read 12370 times)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Live ball equipment violation
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Had a player ask me last Friday to take an official's time out so he could get his chin strap snapped. It was a little rusted so needed more effort to get snapped. He looked at me like an alien that I wouldn't stop the game for him. I'm not going to be a jerk on that, but I'm also not going to extend the game too much for it. I have taken an official's time out for quick equipment corrections, but something like that either needs to be corrected during the normal dead ball period or be subbed.

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »
Had a player ask me last Friday to take an official's time out so he could get his chin strap snapped. It was a little rusted so needed more effort to get snapped. He looked at me like an alien that I wouldn't stop the game for him. I'm not going to be a jerk on that, but I'm also not going to extend the game too much for it. I have taken an official's time out for quick equipment corrections, but something like that either needs to be corrected during the normal dead ball period or be subbed.

I get this all the time in soccer about untied shoes. For some reason they think they game should stop because they don't know how to double knot their laces.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
I have taken an official's time out for quick equipment corrections, but something like that either needs to be corrected during the normal dead ball period or be subbed.

Remembering that our PRIMARY objective is player safety, the common sense and judgment of the covering official, is supported by rule, to deal with the full spectrum of these situations.

NFHS: 3-5-2b, covers situations requiring extensive equipment repair, NFHS: 3-5-7e, addresses simple delays and NFHS: 3-10-d addresses the special situation of a dislodged helmet NOT caused by a foul.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Just don’t make up rules as is suggested by sending him out for one play.

RULESMAN, RULESMAN, RULESMAN

Member states may apply to the NFHS to experiment with a rule change.
If the NFHS approves the experiment, other states may become "Tag-on" states allowing them to experiment with it also.
This particular proposal has been tossed around for a few years and it is good to see some are experimenting with it. I look forward to reviewing their statistics in January.

Other experiments would include the Oregon/Hawai'i/Connecticut/Colorado/Alaska Blindside Block which became the NFHS rule in 2017 after only 2 years of experimental use.
Experimental rules are provided to all officials and coaches who are part of the experiment as a supplement their rules book.

When experimental rules are in force they are the official rule of the day! So, no one is "Making up rules," as you suggested.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:20:16 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
I think saying "no one is making up rules" may be a little presumptive.

Offline KWH

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
I think saying "no one is making up rules" may be a little presumptive.

Calhoun, while that may be what you "think," I am totally "convinced" you totally missed my entire point!
If your state mandates you are to enforce a rule in a way that deviates from the Rules Book for the duration of an experiment,
then, by enforcing said rule as per the mandate, NO ONE IS MAKING UP RULES! as was suggested.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:12:08 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Live ball equipment violation
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 07:18:05 AM »
I think you missed my point. I should have emphasized the “no one” part if my comment. I run into officials and coach who “make up rules” every week. Just a bit of bad humor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KWH

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »

Got it!

Thanks

Respectfully Submitted;