Author Topic: 2013 NFHS Footbll Rules Changes  (Read 37015 times)

Jason Kramer

Re: 2013 NFHS Footbll Rules Changes
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
This discussion leads me to a question, "why do we care what the rule is?"

It's not our game, we are the keepers of maintaining fairness in the game, but it's not our job to determine the rules....it's their game, players and coaches....it is our task to administer the game they want to play.

When rules are implemented that have clear fairness issues, or are easy to exploit, or have obvious loopholes, it makes our job harder. We're supposed to administer the rules as written, but sometimes that conflicts with the intent of the rule or with the fairness of the game.

maven

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »
When rules are implemented that have clear fairness issues, or are easy to exploit, or have obvious loopholes, it makes our job harder. We're supposed to administer the rules as written, but sometimes that conflicts with the intent of the rule or with the fairness of the game.

Agree. I'll add that, although in a technical sense the rules define fairness for the game, we can also adopt a standpoint outside the rules from which to judge advantage and disadvantage with respect to what makes the game better overall (more exciting, more scoring, safer, and any number of other values).

It would be from this standpoint, the standpoint of a fan or lover of the game, that it is possible to critique the rules.

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »

Which was kind of address in the part of my post you didn't include.

What're the fairness issues or the obvious loopholes you speak of?  I suspect they're not going to be all that clear or obvious
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Jason Kramer

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »
Which was kind of address in the part of my post you didn't include.

What're the fairness issues or the obvious loopholes you speak of?  I suspect they're not going to be all that clear or obvious

They're not major, but the obvious ones are committing pass interference with more than 15 yards to go or in goal-to-go situations, especially 4th and goal late in games. On 4th and goal, the defense has very little disincentive to commit PI

Offline Jackhammer

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
They're not major, but the obvious ones are committing pass interference with more than 15 yards to go or in goal-to-go situations, especially 4th and goal late in games. On 4th and goal, the defense has very little disincentive to commit PI

Thanks.  I think that makes my point.  It doesn't really change our job, nor does it have that big of an effect on the game. 

The nfhs for whatever reason chooses not to favor the offense in this situation.  That's the way they want to play the game, it shouldn't matter one whit to us.

maven

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »
The nfhs for whatever reason chooses not to favor the offense in this situation.  That's the way they want to play the game, it shouldn't matter one whit to us.

Not to us as officials, perhaps, but it might matter to us as fans of the game. It is certainly possible to appreciate the issue from more than one standpoint.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
Last year's press release went out on 2/9.

I don't forsee any earth shattering revisions.

So much for that, huh?

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
This discussion leads me to a question, "why do we care what the rule is?"

It's not our game, we are the keepers of maintaining fairness in the game, but it's not our job to determine the rules....it's their game, players and coaches....it is our task to administer the game they want to play.

REPLY: Another reason we "care" is because of those occasions where a rule change is implemented but it can't be properly officiated on the field. Examples: the original (2003) version of PSK. Impossible to officiate. Took another season or two to get it right. Last season's rule about K blocking on a free kick. Difficult to officiate at best. If you 'get' it, you'll be lucky.
Bob M.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
Another reason why we care is because there is nobody from the Federation office on the field on Friday nights to explain it.

Offline Jackhammer

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
Bob and HL,
Agree with both of those points and think that's absolutely a role we should play as it relates to rulemaking.  The context of my discussion was mostly intended for that related to the PI change.  In this specific issues, the change involes administering the penalty and doesn't really make our job any harder.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
Another official I work with just raised a pretty good point.  Since DPI no longer carries an auto first down, I guess the OT procedure will have to be amended accordingly, and the only time A can get a new first down is on a roughing penalty (passer, snapper, kicker or holder)... right?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Re: 2013 NFHS Footbll Rules Changes
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
Another official I work with just raised a pretty good point.  Since DPI no longer carries an auto first down, I guess the OT procedure will have to be amended accordingly, and the only time A can get a new first down is on a roughing penalty (passer, snapper, kicker or holder)... right?

Correct. NFHS is already aware of it and will be addressing it.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Caveat #1 - I do not have a rule book at my disposal at this time

Caveat #2 - My state uses the NCAA 25 yard line OT/tie breaking procedure

That having been said, wouldn't the following play also result in a first down for team A during OT?

A attempts a field goal which is short and is muffed by B in the field of play and recovered by A in the field of play.  Ball not having crossed B's goal line at anytime during the play.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
Caveat #1 - I do not have a rule book at my disposal at this time

Caveat #2 - My state uses the NCAA 25 yard line OT/tie breaking procedure

That having been said, wouldn't the following play also result in a first down for team A during OT?

A attempts a field goal which is short and is muffed by B in the field of play and recovered by A in the field of play.  Ball not having crossed B's goal line at anytime during the play.

Assuming the muff was beyond the neutral zone, yes.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Good catch.  Should have said "the only way A can get a first down by penalty".

Offline VALJ

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
OT section in the rulebook is NOT revised.  Surely they just missed that, right?  They're not awarding a first down for DPI in OT when it hasn't been a first down all game...  Are they?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »
OT section in the rulebook is NOT revised.  Surely they just missed that, right?  They're not awarding a first down for DPI in OT when it hasn't been a first down all game...  Are they?
I believe that is correct - no auto 1st down in OT. I'll be with a committee member tomorrow and will try to get a confirmation.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2013, 12:19:42 PM »
I believe that is correct - no auto 1st down in OT. I'll be with a committee member tomorrow and will try to get a confirmation.

It has already been confirmed, and is supposed to be corrected on the NFHS website.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
It has already been confirmed, and is supposed to be corrected on the NFHS website.
Key words...  ;)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi