Author Topic: Covered up receiver catching the ball???  (Read 36342 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Covered up receiver catching the ball???
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
We also have to remember that if #85 is covered up and catches that forward screen pass behind the line of scrimmage it is a penalty as well as if #59 catches it.
Good point,KDJ, Thirst day Trivia : What would be the different enforcement spots ???....

ECILLJ

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Good point,KDJ, Thirst day Trivia : What would be the different enforcement spots ???....

IMO- We have illegal touching, a five yard penalty and loss of down under the all but one principle. We would assess from the point of illegal touching.

pjsaul

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »
IMO- We have illegal touching, a five yard penalty and loss of down under the all but one principle. We would assess from the point of illegal touching.

Is the touching considered to happen during the loose ball play? Touching always proceeds possession, the illegal touching happens during the forward pass. Wondering for instances where the illegal touching is beyond the LOS.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Basic spot

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:17 AM »
Basic spot is the previous spot for loose ball play.  If the illegal touching occurs behind the line - say, Big Ole Bubba #75 catches the screen pass behind the LOS - 5 from the spot of the foul, LOD.  If the touching occurs beyond the LOS - Big Ole Bubba caught that ball downfield - 5 from the previous spot, LOD.  Either way, Bubba's attempt to impress the homecoming queen has failed   ^no , and he'll be hanging out with the kicker at the dance.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:21 AM »
and he'll be hanging out with the kicker at the dance.
I beg your pardon.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:36 AM »
Many good tries, but VALJ wins the Kewpie doll by nailing it. I'd be in AB's camp on the popularity of kickers. While kicking is not quite as glamorous as scoring or passing for a TD, their sexy foreign accents usually woo many including the prom queen.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:46:08 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline VALJ

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
I beg your pardon.

;D

Hey, we've got two schools with female kickers in our association.  That may not always be a bad thing.  Though I didn't know about one of them until after the game started, and she apparently was also a backup safety.  I was really surprised to see a safety get up after delivering a blowup hit and see that there was a  ponytail going about halfway down the DB's back...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:00:41 AM by VALJ »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
...and see that there was a ponytail going about halfway down the DB's back...
I've seen a lot of games where there's a ponytail going about halfway down the DB's back. And they are not all female DBs.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
I was trying to avoid any comments on how the pads fit differently...   ;)

JudgeWapner

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
We also have to remember that if #85 is covered up and catches that forward screen pass behind the line of scrimmage it is a penalty as well as if #59 catches it.

I'm missing something here. Isn't it pointed out earlier in this thread that eligibility rules only pertain to legal forward passes that cross the line of scrimmage? Why then is a covered up #85 catching a pass behind the line of scrimmage a penalty?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
I'm missing something here. Isn't it pointed out earlier in this thread that eligibility rules only pertain to legal forward passes that cross the line of scrimmage? Why then is a covered up #85 catching a pass behind the line of scrimmage a penalty?
Because only eligible receivers can catch a forward pass, whether it's behind or crosses the LOS.  That is why I said before, some eligibility rules apply regardless of the ball crossing the LOS.