Author Topic: Be half-full, not half-empty.....  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Be half-full, not half-empty.....
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:01:03 AM »
We in New England just received our third Nor'easter in three weeks. This was the worst, with 20"+ of snowfall (with a 29" inseam that made walking for me a problem). After being housebound for two days, things are now back to normal. I've listened to friends, neighbors, relatives, coaches and the like grown and moan. A firm believer in "The glass is half-full", I've shared my opinions with them :

(1) It's mid-March, Spring is just around the corner, now we'll REALLY enjoy it's arrival yEs:!

(2) It's mid-March, warm days + strong sun = melting snow, it won't be here for very long  yEs: yEs:!

(3) NOR'EASTERS ARE OUR NATURAL DISASTERS. WHILE INCONVIENENT, THEY ARE RARELY DEADLY OR DISTRUCTIVE yEs: yEs: !

While watching the snow pile up with one eye and Law & Order reruns with the other, I thought of many of you guys that are in climates where your natural disaster can be both. Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, floods and the like are known to disrupt  or take lives.

Our lives are full of crossroads where we can observe that the glass is half-full or half-empty. Staying positive is much more fun that being negative. With our next snowfall, most Mainers will just mutter : "Ayuh, 'spect so" , and grab a shovel.

That's my weekly rant. Now it's time for some lobster pancakes  tiphat: !

-Ralph

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:19:43 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Be half-full, not half-empty.....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
Ralph,
Yes, let's all be grateful and count the many blessings we have.  Indeed, the glass is half full.  Let's see if we can get the glass full.  I think we can.

Robert

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »

We don't get the snow down low Ralph.
But we do have a few Mountains with a need to pop there tops once in awhile.

Mount Adams - 550 BC
Mount Baker - 1880
Mount Rainier - 1894
Mount Hood - 1907
Mount Saint Helens - 1980, 2008

SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
What's a nor-easter?  pun

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
What's a nor-easter?  pun

Almost like one of those Florida afternoon heavy rain showers, that would last all day (maybe longer) with snow instead of rain, a lot of wind and a LOT colder temperatures.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »
I grew up in Tornado Alley(Tx Panhandle). Tornadoes are not that big a deal, really. They usually are way out in the boonies because pressure systems tend to push them away from the cities. That really limits the damage. And even when they hit where you are, they're pretty easy to get cover from. Rarely are tornadoes big enough to actually damage permanent structures. As long as you can get to where there's brick and mortar and stay away from debris, you're usually fine