Author Topic: Unacceptable Actions by Officials  (Read 5236 times)

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Unacceptable Actions by Officials
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
OK, if this is true this is egregious. Basically a father of a team in Chicago put on his ref uniform and was down on the field and discussing calls with the crew on the field. The father posted on Facebook that he did what he had to do so his son's team won. Though he "didn't make one bad call". Like i said if this is true as reported, the father and every member of that crew should banned for life. Our integrity as officials is far and away the most important attribute we possess. I really, really hope that this is not an accurate story.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/nazareth-parent-accused-of-wearing-referee-uniform-swaying-ihsa-football-playoff-game-against-simeon/ar-BBPSodi?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
Re: Unacceptable Actions by Officials
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »
 ^flag They ought to cash that guys check for the rest of his life!   z^

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
So how exactly did the crew fail to realize they had too many people, or that they had no idea who one of them was?

I don't buy this story at face value.

Offline Comeback1

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »
In a large chapter it could happen in a peewee game. A lot of new guys show up oat the various game sites, and out of 4 or 5 guys, you possibly have a new guy that’s an imposter. The person should be asked the name of the person that assigned him.  Officials ought to carry their chapter photo ID and verify if no one knows him. With the guy being unable to name the person who assigned him or not be able to show his ID...hi doesn’t work!

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
From what I have read (doesn’t mean it’s true) he is an actual high school official so I’m assuming the crew knew him. That means they were complicit in the whole thing. Again, not saying it is true. No way they just thought he was on the crew. This was a semifinal game (if I remember correctly) for goodness sake.

Offline FWREF

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:02:51 PM »
There is no way the crew didn't know this guy, they are worse than he is for not stopping this from happening.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »
Some discussion of this on the Facebook page.  Indications are this cat is fairly low rated and has some history of crappitude.  Those of us who have been in this business a good while should know who the great officials are and who are the goobers. If no one on the crew had the ability to tell this guy "shut up" or "scram", I think that belies a greater issue in that locale than one stray official.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
If the crew knew him is one thing....

If his son was a player in a game he was working is another.....

Dads are supposed to teach their sons good life lessons.....

This is not a good one.....time for some lobster chowdah  eAt&

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
There is no way the crew didn't know this guy, they are worse than he is for not stopping this from happening.

I'm not sure this is a fair statement. I am in the Chicago area, and there is a lot of talk about this game and situation. Yes, the accused dad/ref in question has a very poor reputation, including supposedly no longer being able to earn assignments on the high school level. The crew working the game, which was played on the south side of Chicago, is from 100 miles away, so I am not at all certain they would know the official.

I have not spoken directly to anyone on the crew or who was on the sideline during the game to know if they spoke before, during, or after the game.

I have had fellow officials approach me before a game to say they are also an official, and we usually just exchange pleasantries and then they go back to being a fan for the night and I go about my business. With the shortage of officials in Illinois, it is rare that anyone is free on a Friday night to be watching another game, so it doesn't happen often during the regular season.

So, let's withhold judgement on this crew. They had a very competitive semi-final game to work and will have another spotlight game this Saturday in the state finals. I wish them good luck.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
The only way Im thinking this happened is that the description of "he was in his officiating uniform" is a bit of an exaggeration. I can see if he was in his piped hat and pants and was wearing a black jacket appearing as an alternate or part of the chain crew. He could have approached the R of the crew and asked if he could join them on the field as an observer. All of that would be acceptable and would explain how it happened

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
When I go to a game to "observe"  I don't wear any part of the officiating uniform. 

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 06:31:38 AM »
The only way Im thinking this happened is that the description of "he was in his officiating uniform" is a bit of an exaggeration. I can see if he was in his piped hat and pants and was wearing a black jacket appearing as an alternate or part of the chain crew. He could have approached the R of the crew and asked if he could join them on the field as an observer. All of that would be acceptable and would explain how it happened

No, one of the news reports I saw had a picture of him on the sideline in full uniform.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
From the Chicago Sun-Times:
[/size]The IHSA finally commented on Tuesday evening, breaking several days of silence.
[/size]“The IHSA declined to comment as we awaited the opportunity to exonerate the officials who worked the contest in open court,” Craig Anderson, the IHSA executive director said in a statement. “It now appears that no hearing will take place prior to this weekend’s state championship games.”
[/size]Anderson says the IHSA has investigated the matter and “has uncovered no impropriety on the part of the officials assigned to work the game as well as no influence over the referees by any individual in attendance. We look forward to providing more clarity on the situation following the resolution of the litigation.”